Ocho Rios - help me decide what to do with kids

helpmecruise16

Hi! We are traveling to Ochoa Rios in the Norwegian getaway in a few weeks. I have Courtney Taylor booked. Now I am trying to figure out what we want to do. We are a family of five - two adults who are 49, three kids - 11, 9, 6. Adventurous to a point, like to relax too. I am so torn - I had thought blue hole, then maybe beach. But where? And is blue hole appropriate for my kids ages? I am also not in great shape for very long hikes, but I am a strong swimmer.

Any suggestions?

My first choice would be the Blue Hole and Tubing on the White River. The two attractions are on the same river and are about 10 minutes apart. The Blue Hole requires some climbing along the rocks. The guides are super helpful though - no worries. They have about 4 or 5 different spots where you can jump off the rocks into the water. Heights range from about 5 feet to 25 feet. You decide if you want to jump or not. Lots of fun.

The tubing is really laid back and fun. The guide will keep you laughing and singing Bob Marley songs. They stop at a little rest area along the way for a cold drink and the opportunity to buy photos from the professional photographer.

My other suggestion would be Mystic Mountain and/or Dunn's River Falls. Mystic Mountain has the bob sled ride and a zip line. Prices are a bit high though. Both places can get very crowded.

When my kids were that age we did Dunn's River Falls and got there before any of the cruise tours. Our family of 4 were already at the top of the falls before any of the groups arrived. We stayed and watched some of the larger groups start to climb all in long lines holding hands and were thrilled we'd done it with just us and our guide.

Then we did the tubing on the river. Kids loved it.

A couple of stops for shopping and then we headed back to Margaritaville for snacks and drinks and the kids had a blast on the water-slide.

How would we get from cruise port in Ocho Rios to Blue Hole?

Hire a reputable private driver for the day. We booked with Jacques Tours -- they will pick us up at the port and take us everywhere for $20 pp, plus the cost of admission fees to the places where we want to go.

Do you know if they provide life jackets at the river tubing?

Yes, I believe that everyone is required to wear one and they provide them in various sizes. At least, this is what we have been told when we inquired.

How would we get from cruise port in Ocho Rios to Blue Hole?

We booked a private tour with Chris from Chris Jamaica Tours. Chris was awesome and planned an entire day for us! Took us to the Blue Hole, then to Scotchie's for a jerk lunch. He wanted to give us beach time or tubing as well, but since we ported in Montego Bay, we did not have the time. You will have plenty of time for several of those activities since you are porting in Ocho Rios.

Chrisjamaicatours.com

Look into a day pass to the Jewel Runaway Bay Resort. Several food options, nice beach area. The day pass includes access to their water park which I think would be enjoyed by the kids. It had water slides, a lazy river, etc. We had tons of fun!