questions about Progreso

rbrb1951

Progreso is weird because to get to mainland you have to take a bus down the long pier past border people into town. Once there, there's a bus station right there that can take you to downtown beach area and the little shops where the people are very pushy but you can get a good deal on crafts and knock off bags etc

I wish I knew if it was handicap accessible but I honestly don't remember. Im sure it is but it might require a transfer.

Edited by freedomcruiser891

• 4 weeks later...
can anyone tell me if a cab can be got at the pier or do you have to take bus into town? it is hard for handicap to get in and out of bus.Thanks for any info!

Autoprogreso is the company that will take you to town from the pier. They have a website-just google them-and you can send an email about the bus accessibility. They have always been responsive to my emails.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been there 3 times and the 1st 2 times we took a cab from the ship not the bus. We took the bus last year and we had to listen to this lady try to sell us their excursions and once we got off the bus there were several others pushing their stuff on us. We will be in Progreso next week and plan to take a cab from the pier, that seems to work out better for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also be interested in beach recommendations. All we want is somewhere safe, clean with basic facilities, bar/refreshments but importantly loungers and umbrellas. Can't cope without shade so that's essential for a good day at the beach for us.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I would also be interested in beach recommendations. All we want is somewhere safe, clean with basic facilities, bar/refreshments but importantly loungers and umbrellas. Can't cope without shade so that's essential for a good day at the beach for us.

The beach right at the end of the pier even offers those large 4 post canopy like things. We didn't use one, but people we chatted with did, they got too much sun on Coz, so they sat under one of those thier kids played in the water.