Embarkation times in Southampton

Slugsta

Hi all,

We are due to depart from Southampton on the Queen Vic on 3rd Jan :) It is nearly 10 years since we last sailed with Cunard and I am not sure what the situation is with embarkation times these days.

Our tickets say we should arrive at 3pm. Although we live only an hour or so from Southampton, this is still leaving it rather late in my eyes. All it needs is an accident on the M27 and we could be held up for several hours!

Are Cunard keeping more-or-less to the time on your ticket or is it a free for all? I am a wheelchair user and will require help, if that is significant in any way.

We've never had a problem showing up whenever it is convenient for us and we have no special status with Cunard. The worst that can happen is a longer wait in the queue for check in but I think there is a separate queue for a passenger using a wheelchair. We normally plan for traffic or delays and arrive at check in well ahead of our assigned time and have never had a problem. Much less stress that way. As the previous replay stated, show up when you like.

We've never had a problem showing up whenever it is convenient for us and we have no special status with Cunard. The worst that can happen is a longer wait in the queue for check in but I think there is a separate queue for a passenger using a wheelchair. We normally plan for traffic or delays and arrive at check in well ahead of our assigned time and have never had a problem. Much less stress that way. As the previous replay stated, show up when you like.

I notice you are posting from the USA, and boarding proceedings may not have changed at all in NY or elsewhere. Here in the UK, Cunard are trying to enforce boarding times by priority. You may embark early if the check-in points are clear of all those scheduled to go before you, have passed through. Otherwise it is boarding by number allocated as you arrive, and according to your e-ticket.

Thank you LadyL1, I was hoping to hear from someone who had departed from Southampton recently as I know the port are trying to stagger the amount of people arriving. I don't want to arrive at 12.00 and have to wait around for 3 hours before I can even start the embarkation process!

I find the problem is that we have taken care of cat arrangements, emptied the fridge of perishables and then sit looking at each other. After a short while we give up and head out of the door :)

Thank you LadyL1, I was hoping to hear from someone who had departed from Southampton recently as I know the port are trying to stagger the amount of people arriving. I don't want to arrive at 12.00 and have to wait around for 3 hours before I can even start the embarkation process!

I find the problem is that we have taken care of cat arrangements, emptied the fridge of perishables and then sit looking at each other. After a short while we give up and head out of the door :)

As Big Mac has said, for disabled people the boarding is done separately. My previous post was more in reply rm3. I do hope you notified at time of booking that you are a wheelchair user. Have a great trip, and leave the QV in fine fettle as we board as you wend your way home.

I was on the 3rd Nov sailing from Southampton with a specified embarkation time of 1430hrs. Being a first time cruiser I was over cautious and arrived at 1130!

By 1230 I was in my cabin with my luggage already arrived.

A very impressive start to the cruise

We have just done the Xmas cruise on queen Mary 2 we embarked at 12 no problem our actual time was 1.30. Lots of people got on early with no problem. In fact we were held up till 6.30 as there was a bad accident on the motorway which caused delays hence the captain waited for everybody before we set sail ! We loved the QM2

I sailed QM2 westbound 15 December. The boarding time on ticket was suggested for 12:30 pm … it's what they do, blocks of tickets are sent out with staggered times so 2,500 people aren't in the terminal clammering at Noon to get on. I boarded at 2:30, more convenient for me. This time, several times before, no one ever looked at a boarding time. No matter your ticket time you'll be processed, not made to wait, when you arrive