Transportation to NYC terminal Feb. 28th

harley98

I found out this morning that Academy Bus Lines will not be running to the NYC terminal in 2016. In the past we left from New London CT. Does anyone know of another bus company that runs from CT. to the NY terminal? Thanks

I found out this morning that Academy Bus Lines will not be running to the NYC terminal in 2016. In the past we left from New London CT. Does anyone know of another bus company that runs from CT. to the NY terminal? Thanks

As far as anyone knows, there is no longer direct bus service to the New York area Cruiseports. Amtrak is definitely an option for you to New York Penn Station. Don't know about bus service to Port Authority from New London.

The main options are:

(1) Drive to the cruiseport in New York. Parking is expensive ($280 for the week) but if you come in along the Henry Hudson Parkway you don't have to hit New York surface streets at all.

(2) Amtrak. The first train of the day that stops at Mystic arrives at Penn Station at 12:53pm on a Sunday, and that's later than I would be comfortable with. You can go to New London for a few more trains.

(3) Metro-North. You can drive to a number of different Metro-North stations to leave the car and catch a cheap train to Grand Central for a quick cab ride to the port. The principal options (all close to the highway) are Fairfield Metro, Mamaroneck and North White Plains. All have plentiful parking on a Sunday that anyone can use (you don't need a permit) and all of them allow you to park for the week. At Fairfield Metro you can park for $30 for the week very close to the tracks. The train fare to Grand Central is $12.50 per person each way. Mamaroneck is closer to the city (so the train fare is less, $8.75) but you go up two flights of steps to get from the parking to the tracks. (Make sure you park in a metered space denoted by a three-digit number.) The parking rate is $35. North White Plains is a little more expensive ($50 for the week) but you're in a brand new covered garage. (The fare is $8.75 as well).

Short version -- if the parking cost at the port is a big deal, go to Metro-North. Otherwise drive.

Edited by MarlboroBell

Thank you Marlboroman. The MetroNorth advise is the best I have seen. I used to commute on MetroNorth when I lived there, but I've lost touch with the system and was a bit lost on which station is the best since not all offer parking for non-residents. North White Plains seems the best on a couple levels. 1. covered parking in winter, 2. direct train to NYC, 3. frequent trains.

To compare, I am taking a 10 night cruise so it would be $400 to park at the pier. By taking the train, parking should be $70 (7 weekdays @$10/day) and $35 for 2 r/t train tickets. I don't think it would be more that $20 each way for a taxi to the pier so i'm looking at about $145, savings $265.

Thank you Marlboroman. The MetroNorth advise is the best I have seen. I used to commute on MetroNorth when I lived there, but I've lost touch with the system and was a bit lost on which station is the best since not all offer parking for non-residents. North White Plains seems the best on a couple levels. 1. covered parking in winter, 2. direct train to NYC, 3. frequent trains.

To compare, I am taking a 10 night cruise so it would be $400 to park at the pier. By taking the train, parking should be $70 (7 weekdays @$10/day) and $35 for 2 r/t train tickets. I don't think it would be more that $20 each way for a taxi to the pier so i'm looking at about $145, savings $265.

You're very welcome! The station is right off I-287, which helps too.

One thing to add is that although there will be plentiful parking if you arrive at a weekend, I can't promise it if you arrive during the week. I haven't been there during commuting hours yet, but my guess is that it probably doesn't fill during the week at the moment. It only opened three months ago and I don't think people have yet changed their commuting habits to use it. (There's no waiting list for permits right now.)

A year, even six months, from now, I would think it'll fill during the week. But either way it's great for a cruise that begins on a weekend.