Voom Internet on Allure - Questions

Quick questions for anyone who has been on Allure of the Seas recently...

1. Voom Internet - are there different speeds/options to choose from, or is it all the same speed/price?

2. Can you get regular email on iPhone (through exchange server - i.e., not just internet-based like gmail, hotmail, yahoo) through wifi only, such that you do NOT have to use any cellular data? Just trying to figure out if the wifi package makes sense for us.

Thanks in advance!

Quick questions for anyone who has been on Allure of the Seas recently...

1. Voom Internet - are there different speeds/options to choose from, or is it all the same speed/price?

2. Can you get regular email on iPhone (through exchange server - i.e., not just internet-based like gmail, hotmail, yahoo) through wifi only, such that you do NOT have to use any cellular data? Just trying to figure out if the wifi package makes sense for us.

Thanks in advance!

No speed options to choose.

You can get Exchange mail via WiFi only.

There may be some "phone" based data you cannot receive via WiFi. I know that MMS messages, such as text messages (not iMessage or similar) with photos or videos attached need cellular data. Not sure if there are other types that require cellular data.

Edited by clarea

Can you get regular email on iPhone (through exchange server - i.e., not just internet-based like gmail, hotmail, yahoo) through wifi only, such that you do NOT have to use any cellular data? Just trying to figure out if the wifi package makes sense for us.

Yes. In fact, it's the best (i.e. cheapest) way to do it.

You'll log on to WiFi, download email, then log off. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on to WiFi, send replies, log off. Easy and fast.

Easy to test before you leave home...just put your iPhone in Airplane Mode then turn WiFi back on. Then test.

Yes. In fact, it's the best (i.e. cheapest) way to do it.

You'll log on to WiFi, download email, then log off. Take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on to WiFi, send replies, log off. Easy and fast.

Easy to test before you leave home...just put your iPhone in Airplane Mode then turn WiFi back on. Then test.

One doesn't really need or is there an advantage to logging on and off to save on their internet time as RCI no longer offers time packages. All internet is sold as consecutive 24 hours periods or for all remaining days, therefore time onboard. On the last full day onboard there is sometimes a consecutive 60 minutes package offered to allow those who simply want to do their advance next day flight check in. ;)

The system is suppose to log you off if your internet account hasn't been active for two hours.

Edited by robtulipe

No speed options to choose.

You can get Exchange mail via WiFi only.

There may be some "phone" based data you cannot receive via WiFi. I know that MMS messages, such as text messages (not iMessage or similar) with photos or videos attached need cellular data. Not sure if there are other types that require cellular data.

I was able to text and send photos with my Verizon galaxy using only wifi while using Voom on the Oasis this past summer

Edited by Tony O

I was able to text and send photos with my Verizon galaxy using only wifi while using Voom on the Oasis this past summer

Maybe Verizon/Galaxy does MMS differently than AT&T/old iPhone. Or, were you possibly using a messaging app, such as WhatsApp?

I noticed on the Liberty there is an ethernet port in the stateroom. Does it work?

Next month Liberty is getting upgraded to Voom, so if it does not work now hope it does after that.

I would like to take my travel router on next cruise.

I noticed on the Liberty there is an ethernet port in the stateroom. Does it work?

Next month Liberty is getting upgraded to Voom, so if it does not work now hope it does after that.

I would like to take my travel router on next cruise.

The port in the room does not work for internet access.

Many years ago, Royal had some sort of wired access offering for the staterooms, but that ended a long time ago.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a tablet with wifi,just got it I was wondering can I use that to email if I buy the package?Would I just put in the password like in a hotel?Told ya I don't know nothing!

Yes, you can use the tablet on the ship's WiFi. You would have to create an account by following on screen instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

So a few things I heard:

--If you are a Crown & Anchor member you get a discount on the first gagdet and then 1/2 off on the second gagdet. If you are interested in this option, it stated that you cant pre-purchase, you have to buy it onboard?

--The VOOM package is per gagdet. So I'm divided, because I dont know if I want to get it on the iPad Air or the iPhone 6. The iPhone is more accessible since its smaller.

QQ -- If I buy the VOOM, should I be texting or should I use Whats App instead? I dont want to rack up roaming charges. I currently have Sprint as my cell phone carrier and I have unlimited data. But I dont know how that works while i'm in International Waters.

... QQ -- If I buy the VOOM, should I be texting or should I use Whats App instead? I dont want to rack up roaming charges. I currently have Sprint as my cell phone carrier and I have unlimited data. But I dont know how that works while i'm in International Waters.

If you don't have unlimited data from Sprint while at sea, then you would need to purchase internet access from the ship. You could then use an internet based messaging app like WhatsApp or iMessage for texting.

So a few things I heard:

--The VOOM package is per gagdet. So I'm divided, because I dont know if I want to get it on the iPad Air or the iPhone 6. The iPhone is more accessible since its smaller.

From what I understand, when you buy the package, you can log off of one device and switch to another, just can't use them simultaneously. So you could use both with a single plan, just not at the same time.

If you go through a storm with Cat 5 or so winds and 30 foot seas, they give you VOOM for free.

Though there are probably easier ways to get it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kite99

If you go through a storm with Cat 5 or so winds and 30 foot seas, they give you VOOM for free.

Though there are probably easier ways to get it...

I mentioned this in a different thread. VOOM is blazingly fast. It was very cool. However, when it does get opened up to 5000 people, the speed drops to slightly more than regular rccl wifi. It is however pretty damn stable either way.

Agreed. It had it's moments when I was amazed at how fast it was. But suddenly opening it up to the entire ship is pretty much unheard of. It did then get pretty spotty and annoying at times. But I suspect that it's pretty nice in normal circumstances. When it was working for me on Anthem (mostly off hours), it was very speedy