Port of New York

deebduck12

We will be leaving from the port in New York on the Dawn. We plan to take the airport schuttle from LGA to the Port Authority station. Is it feasible to walk to the pier? All of our luggage is on wheels and we are used to walking long distances.

We will be leaving from the port in New York on the Dawn. We plan to take the airport schuttle from LGA to the Port Authority station. Is it feasible to walk to the pier? All of our luggage is on wheels and we are used to walking long distances.

You are talking about walking from 40th ST and 8th Avenue all the way up to 51st St and 12th Ave... which is a considerable walk. You could take a taxi from the bus station for about 5 bucks according to the Port Authority Web site.

What is the cost of a taxi from Penn Station or Port Authority Bus Station?

Depending on traffic the cost can vary, usually $5.00 and up

I have done the walk at least 4x to the Dawn, Legend, Triumph and Zenith with one very large suitcase on wheels and a backpack. I am 50+. I do the walk slowly and it takes me sometimes up to 30 minutes. Note: I have never done the walk during inclement, rainy, snowy weather (cold yes, with winter coat, hood, gloves). Take a cab from Port Authority (now cost near $10), however, a cab on the return trip is at least an hour wait at the pier (or go down to 12th avenue and try to hail a cab).

It is a long walk but doable. As someone said it's about a mile because when going crosstown from avenue to avenue is actually closer to two blocks. A cab would be $10 to $15 based on current rates. On your side is the fact that going to the pier is mostly downhill, going back to Port Authority is mostly uphill. When we arrived on 9/18, our driver couldn't get to us because of a stuck tractor trailer. He was one avenue away, uphill, and it was a battle.

It is a long walk but doable. As someone said it's about a mile because when going crosstown from avenue to avenue is actually closer to two blocks. A cab would be $10 to $15 based on current rates. On your side is the fact that going to the pier is mostly downhill, going back to Port Authority is mostly uphill. When we arrived on 9/18, our driver couldn't get to us because of a stuck tractor trailer. He was one avenue away, uphill, and it was a battle.

If you are taking the supershuttle(blue vans) I am pretty sure they will take you anywhere in Manhattan. Just ask them to let you off at 51street and 12th avenue....also the cab will be less than $10.00 its 2.50 the first 1/6 mile and 30 each sixththere after.....even with some traffic its not far....

If you are taking the supershuttle(blue vans) I am pretty sure they will take you anywhere in Manhattan. Just ask them to let you off at 51street and 12th avenue....also the cab will be less than $10.00 its 2.50 the first 1/6 mile and 30 each sixththere after.....even with some traffic its not far....

smeyer is right, it won't be much more than $5. We took the taxi from the Jewel to 23rd and 6th. We had to take a longer way than normal as this was the day the big wigs were in NYC for the United Nation's meetings. I think it cost us about %6.50 plus tip. You probably can walk it, but I don't think I would want to be walking around lugging luggage even if everything is on wheels. Save your walking for the ship and the ports. NMNita ps BTW, i think when it comes to NYC I would listen to almost anything smeyer has to say. He tried to tell me we should stay in Newark, but I didn't listen. Our hotel was free as we used our HHilton honors points, but had we stayed in Newark we could have taken the ferry over to Ellis Island and the Statue for a hell of a lot less than we paid for our sightseeing in NY. all we wanted to see was those two things as we only had about 5 hours or so. Little old ladies, or in this case, big old ladies are sometimes very stubborn.

smeyer is right, it won't be much more than $5. We took the taxi from the Jewel to 23rd and 6th. We had to take a longer way than normal as this was the day the big wigs were in NYC for the United Nation's meetings. I think it cost us about %6.50 plus tip. You probably can walk it, but I don't think I would want to be walking around lugging luggage even if everything is on wheels. Save your walking for the ship and the ports. NMNita ps BTW, i think when it comes to NYC I would listen to almost anything smeyer has to say. He tried to tell me we should stay in Newark, but I didn't listen. Our hotel was free as we used our HHilton honors points, but had we stayed in Newark we could have taken the ferry over to Ellis Island and the Statue for a hell of a lot less than we paid for our sightseeing in NY. all we wanted to see was those two things as we only had about 5 hours or so. Little old ladies, or in this case, big old ladies are sometimes very stubborn.

Ah shucks ma'am thanks but I don't think I am that knowledgeable just mouthy :)

We just got back from the Dawn 10/2. It was an unbelievable piece of cake.

We took the train from Boston to Penn Station, got a cab (no wait), got to the pier in about 12 minutes including the ramp. A suggestion is to get out of the cab across from the pier and walk if there is a lot of traffic. Traffic was no problem for us. The Dawn was the only ship in port. Also we got there early (11 AM).

Last year with the Carnival Legend it was a total disastor. It had got in late so we had to contend with disembarking passengers tring to get out. We didn't even check-in until 1 PM. We had got there about 11:15 AM.

This year we were able to check-in as soon as we got there. NCL had snacks and coffee and chairs set up. We were on the boat by 12:15.

As for disembarkation, we carried our own luggage off (Express Disembarkation is NCL's term for this). We walked out of the terminal and hopped into a cab. No wait at all.

Leaving on the Daen on 10/9/05. Does anyone have suggestions on best way to get to pier. We will be flying into Newark and overnighting at a hotel near the airport.

Thanks,

cruiseboy2

Plese define what "best" means to you.

Clearly the easiest is to hire a private car/limo service. $50-$75

Cabs are an option. $45 plus tolls and tip

Express bus service ($13) to NYC and a cab ($10) or mile walk.

Here is a link to the airport site

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrframe.HTM

Also curious about timing.

I am interested in a cruise out of New York - looks like we can fly in day of cruise - arriving at La Guardia at around 8:10 am - need to deplane and get luggage but I presume by 9 am we will be out the door.

Questions

1) How long from airport to pier?

2) What can we do w/ourselves (and luggage) at that hour if we do not wish to get to the pier too early? Any place around the pier to store luggage? How early can we drop luggage off at pier (then maybe wander around a bit before boarding)

3) Any thing to do or see near the pier area?

Thanks!

1) How long from airport to pier?

2) What can we do w/ourselves (and luggage) at that hour if we do not wish to get to the pier too early? Any place around the pier to store luggage? How early can we drop luggage off at pier (then maybe wander around a bit before boarding)

3) Any thing to do or see near the pier area?

1. A cab ride from LGA to the pier should take 30-40 minutes. But you always have to factor in NYC traffic, which could easily make it much longer.

2. Sorry, I don't know of anyplace where you can store your luggage temporarily. You can usually check your bags with the porters by 11 or so.

3. The USS Intrepid aircraft carrier is right next to the pier. It's now used as a sea, air and space museum.

I too can not help you with storing your luggage, but here are a few things to think about. You arrive at LGA 8:40am, by the time you get off the plane, collect your luggage and get a cab it will be 9:15 or later. The cab will take you to the pier and you will arrive about 9;45 or maybe 10am. By then the porters should be available to take your luggage. Now, just keep with you what you want to carry on and go off and enjoy a few hours of NY

city. At least grab a bite to eat. Normally embarkation starts between 11am and 11:30. If you are in the line early you can board the ship and start your wonderful vacation. NMNita

Archived