Directions to Locanda Orseolo

Somewhere on these boards I saw a posting on specific walking directions from San Marco to Locanda Orseolo. You know how that goes, now that I really need it I can't find it anywhere.:D Can anyone help, maybe the person who posted it will read this posting and direct me back to it. It was very helpful.

As to the transportation from Marco Polo airport we dare give you the following indications:

- the connection from the airport to St. Mark's Square is regularly ensured by the ALILAGUNA company; the ride by ALILAGUNA water bus takes 70 minutes and costs 10 Euro per person, luggage included; from the water bus stop to the Locanda it's a 5 minutes walk and the relevant directions are given on our web site on the "location" page (together with a useful map). The timetable for the ALILAGUNA water bus is available on the web site http://www.alilaguna.com;

- the alternative way is to take a water taxi. There are always plenty of water taxis available at the docks of the airport and so we discourage you to make any reservation in advance (should the flight be delayed, you would have to pay for the waiting time!). The ride by water taxi takes 30 minutes and costs 85 Euro, all included. Please note that, unless the level of the water is too high, a water taxi can deliver you directly to our hotel, since we have also a water entrance. Just a note about this matter: some taxi drivers want to earn easy money and cheat the tourists telling them that they cannot drive down the little, internal canals and so they drop them at St. Mark's Square... well, if you see that your water taxi driver is reluctant to get directly to our Locanda, please give us a ring and we will be glad to discuss with him and convince him accordingly! In any case, you won't have any problem if you take a taxi of the VENEZIA TAXI company, which regularly ensures transportation from and to our Locanda.

from St. Mark's Square, with the Basilica behind you, walk down the arcade on the right-hand side of the Square. After the Caffè Quadri turn onto the second street on your right (Sottoportego Cavalletto) up to Campo San Gallo and reach Corte Zorzi passing through the iron gate located in Campo San Gallo. We will be expecting you!

Thanks just what I was looking for!!!! By the way how does one secure a water taxi to take us there when we leave the ship. Are the water taxi's right next to the ship or do we have to schlepp our baggage far?

Wow, that's a good question! We started our trip in Venice both times, never disembarked there. Let's see, there is a big central place to claim your luggage. From there, I know there are stevedores to help you to transportation, just as there were stevedores to help us get out of our water taxi with all our luggage. Don't forget to tip the stevedores! I have heard many stories of luggage going in the ocean in Venice!!!! :eek: ...come to think of it, there was a line of water taxis when we went back out to see Venice after checking in on board. Just like NY taxis, but on water! :rolleyes:

Oh, and don't forget to get a "Venezia Taxi Company" taxi since they are recommended by the Locanda Orseolo

There are water taxis waiting right at the ship. PLEASE REMEmBER to check in at the reservation desk as you pick up your luggage as you leave the terminal. You have to check in there, pay and then they will give you a water taxi number. When that taxi pulls up, then you can get in. If you proceed to the pier without a reservation number, the taxis will not pick you up.

The taxi will take you directly to Locada Orseolo and you will disembark through their luggage door...make sure to have your camera ready!

We opted to use the alilaguna but the hotel recommends Venezia taxi as they will take you to their water taxi window. earlier trip report for med had picture of gate and door which were very helpful.

We've reserved 2 nights at Locanda Orseolo in October 2006 at the end of our Oceania Regatta cruise. Just curious - is the water taxi window for people as well as luggage? Is it difficult to step from the boat into the lobby? Looks like there are many on the CC boards who have stayed there. Thanks!

OBX Cruisers... we stayed at Locanda Orseolo this past June and took a private water taxi to the hotel. People as well as luggage go through the window. How easy it is depends on the water level in the canal. We happened to arrive on a low water level time and it was a huge step up for me because I'm short but DH managed it with ease. That said, I did it without any mishap. Leaving through the window was a breeze, the water level was just right. Have a great time at the Locanda... I wish we were going back next year, it was the best hotel we've ever stayed at and we've stayed at the best!

Sandy

I was on the Grand June 7th, 2005 cruise and had put up a post with my pictures of the trip which included the Locanda Orseolo, gate and door plus room pictures. Here is a link, hope it still works.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2124734713&code=16818863&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

You will love the hotel.

Jackie

Jackie, your pictures were a joy to see!!! I have been to those ports and it was like spending the afternoon repeating them with you! Thanks so much for sharing them!!!! We too are booked at the Orseolo for next June. They didn't have a canal view for us because we needed a triple, and I guess it was already taken, but as long as the hotel is comfortable and welcoming (which I have heard it is!!!) we will be fine (and we're not out the 800 euros a night that say the Danieli is charging!!! :eek:). We can eat and drink pretty well for the difference, for sure!!!

Let's see, questions...what did you do in Katakalon? Was the airconditioning at the Orselo good?

It looks like you guys had a great time!!! Oh, so sorry about your pearl

:( Did you buy something to make yourself feel better?!!! ;)

Nanette

Hi Jackie... really enjoyed seeing your photos again. So many nice memories. Wouldn't it be nice to do the cruise over again, no changes, everything the same, including our great time in Venice and the Locanda.

4cruisers... I love my hotel rooms cold and the Locanda air conditioning was perfect, nice and cold. In Katakolon, 4 of us shared a taxi to Olympia... about 30 a couple, 1/2 hour there, 1 hour at Olympia, 1/2 hour back. We were able to avoid the ship's tours and see much of Olympia without a bunch of tourists. Picked up a taxi on the dock. I wish you as good a time as we did on the June 7th cruise!

If you want to see more photos of our wonderful cruise, here's mine:

http://community.webshots.com/user/sandyr

Sandy

Nanette, the Locanda was perfectly air conditioned for us. Plus we had the windows open most of the time we were in the room so we could hear the gondoliers singing right below us. Wonderful! Thanks for the consolation on the loss of my pearl and yes, I did buy something to replace it. I bought a beautiful 18K white gold, diamond greek key ring in Rhodes. In Katakolan Rich & I just walked around the nice little town there early in the morning before all the other tourists hit the shops and then enjoyed a couple of cappucinos in one of the restaurants by the water. A very relaxing day after all the other non-stop ports.

Sandy, yes, I would love to do this cruise again without changing anything. We had a great time and I really want to go back to Venice for a longer stay at the Locanda Orseolo one of these days. Looking at the European Explorer cruise for Sept. of 2007 which sounds interesting too, but I think the Med/Greek Isle cruise is the best one Princess offers and one I was very glad I did. Hope we get to sail together again soon.

Jackie

Jackie, thanks for the wonderful pictures. Gosh I was surprised to see your name on this thread. You had originally joined our Roll Call on the Millenium to the Med in 2004, remember? Well we did that cruise and it was absolutely outstanding also the ship was awesome. As you can see by my signature we flip flop between Princess and X - just preferred the itinerary on the Millenium. As many posters here do - we have booked again to go next year. Your pictures have helped me relive each port just as we did it - thanks!

I'm glad to hear you got a ring, Jackie! I love the Greek key design! So you can just walk into town in Katakalon or do you have to take a taxi?

Sandy, we've been to Olympia and I was just wondering what else to do. I love the idea of just shopping and having a glass of wine in the little town for this trip! Sandy, I couldn't get your album. I'd love to see it, though!

I am so relieved to hear about the air-conditioning at the Locanda! I am at that "hotflashy" stage of life

:p

thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. Good to see a picture of Marcello, we also used him for the Amalfi Coast trip, he was great. Did you also eat at that wonderful restaurant hidden up in the cliffs in Ravello?

4 cruiser, you don't need a taxi to get into Katakolan. Just walk from the ship and it is right there. A nice relaxing day after all the touring at the other ports.

Zebra, yes I was originally supposed to go on the Millenium in 2004 but work issues got in the way so I cancelled. When things settled down a bit more I booked the Grand Princess and really enjoyed the trip. I don't think you can go wrong on either cruise line as I tend to go back and forth also between the two.

Jackie

Zebra... we're still talking about the wonderful lunch with Marcello. And, the views from the restaurant were amazing, too. Actually all the views that day were wonderful. Marcello is quite a character but he does deliver.

Sandy

Archived