Solo Cruises for the Younger Crowd

Victorious8

Hey everyone! I am a 27 y/o female and I have been on three extended family cruises (two Princess one RCCL) that were great experiences. I am graduating law school soon and have been trying to plan a post bar exam trip to decompress after what will likely be an awful experience.

I really want to do a cruise so I don't have to worry about planning too much between now and the bar exam. Unfortunately like most of you know this can be difficult while being single/solo. I am looking to do Europe in August. So far the really only option I have found is to do NCL Epic in the Med doing a studio room. The itinerary looks great even though I will be repeating most of the ports. I am really excited about the idea of the studio room/lounge.

Most cruises I am very active and usually myself and my family are petty well known early on during the cruise. I am an extreme extrovert and love meeting people. I also love to party and have closed down the discos most nights. I have had amazing times even on long Europe Princess cruises that have older crowds. I usually have my sister by my side though so I am a bit nervous about being totally by myself.

Wondering if anyone else cruises solo in my age range, knew of any longer trips than the 7 day epic ones around that time, or had any general advice about doing this alone!

Thanks!

For a decompress, minimum planning, not used to solo, cruise, Epic sounds like your best choice.

The European cruise lines like Costa or MSC would have a younger, later-night crowd, but it might require more research to decide if they're right for you than you want.

Victorious8-

You might want to consider doing a back to back cruise if 7 days isn't long enough. Earlier this year I did just that on the NCL Jade in the Med-- had a great time and met many fun people.

The longer the cruise, the older the average age.

BTW, STUDYING for the bar is the hard part, finally TAKING it will be a relief. Good luck.

Edited by JoePatNYCT

I love the epic! I'm sad that the newest NCL ship did away with the traditional disco. I was also going to point out that a b2b would extend your vacation and minimize the flight cost impact. And more American young folk can take a week vacation vs two week, but since you're in Europe, many Europeans have extended vacations in August. But they may not choose "american" lines, or maybe they would, for exposure! I dunno. If with parents likely not.

The epic is a great ship. Another thing to factor in is that NCL includes a perk (or two or four), which in your case will have to be the ultimate beverage plan. Assuming you'd spend $40 day in drinks, you'll save about $300 (or just factor that into your other cruiseline choices.)

A great site for showing true solo cruising prices is cruiseplum.com. I recommend the site all the time, but i don't work for them. On the top of the Web page is a "Search" and choose 1 passenger and sort by overall cost or price per day,,,whatever suits your budget. Then filter to your heart's content. Unfortunately it doesn't do Costa or MSC or other European lines. ...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Edited by tiger-91

Hi! I'm a 29 year old female going on my first solo cruise in about a month. I've been on a 7 day cruise with my family that I absolutely loved and 3 shorter cruises with friends that were either half-charters (1) or full-charters (2) for one of my favorite music groups.

I have more vacation time this upcoming year than usual and want to take advantage of it. I live in the northeast and dislike snow so I really wanted to take a trip somewhere warm during the worst of winter. I want it to be 70-80 degrees and I'm not guaranteed that anywhere in the continental US at that time of year so a cruise to the Caribbean sounded like my best bet. Plus, unlike a land vacation, I don't have to worry about where I'm going to eat my meals. While I have my choice of venues they're all right on the ship.

I'm single and my family and/or friends can't travel in the time frame I wanted to go (nor do they have as much time off to use) so my only option was to go solo. I researched cruises for months, trying to justify the cost for someone going solo when I found a cruise during the time frame I wanted to go where I didn't have to pay 200%. I'm in a regular ocean view cabin for the same price I would have paid to have another person in the cabin with me. I've been to some of the ports on other cruises but I'll have new experiences this time and the more I think about it, who cares? It'll be warm and I won't be at work.

I'm nervous and excited about my trip. Unlike you, I'm really introverted, but can make friends if someone starts the conversation first. I've signed up for some of the more adventurous shore excursions and am hoping to meet some like-minded people through those activities. If not, that's okay too. I love to read and write and the idea of having so much time to do that sounds equally as appealing.

I'd be happy to check back in after my trip to let you know how it was!

The Epic is a nice ship and Europe is, of course, always enjoyable (although hot in August). I'd consider maybe taking the cruise and then spending some time post cruise exploring wherever it disembarks.

The one other piece of advice I have is to make sure to give yourself some solid downtime between the bar and the start of the cruise, personally I was in deep hibernation for at least a week afterward because the stress leading up to and throughout the exam is very draining. Netflix and takeout was about all I was up for.

Thank you everyone for your advice! Especially the person advising about taking the time off to decompress. I will probably move the cruise out a week if I am able to. Unfortunately I am still job searching so I won't know a start date for some time. I hadn't looked into Costa or MSC but maybe I will take a peek.

The 7 day Med (Rome round trip) comes out to only 1.7k after taxes and gratuities. This includes the ultimate bev package. To be honest I can definitely drink more than almost anyone so this will be great knowing I won't need to worry about the end of the cruise!

I would definitely love to hear how your cruise goes summardays2016. I hope you can put yourself out there. Asking where someone is from is always an easier starter on cruises! Good luck and have fun!

Changed my mind already and booked on the Escape on Aug 6th instead. I realized I wanted to vacation more to relax rather than to site see and it made much more sense to do the Caribbean. Airfare and cruise combined I will save 50% and I get an extra day of cruising! Very excited. If anyone has any recommendations on what to do for a young solo cruiser in Philipsburg, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, Tortola, British Virgin Islands, Nassau, Bahamas let me know!

Hello!

I'm in the same boat as you - late-20's (not for much longer! Lol!) and often in a position where others can't join me due to vacation time constraints, etc. I have been on 10 cruises so far... 7 have been with friends or family, and 3 solo. I'll be going on my fourth solo cruise in a month! You will have a blast! :)

Just wanted to give some ideas re: excursions safe/fun for solos!

St Maarten - Bernard's Tour (google it - private company and very reputable). I've done the same tour 3 times... Twice with others and once solo! You'd be in a group so lots of potential to meet and hang out with others if you choose! The tour included a stop at an Iguana farm, a really neat look-out point with kite-surfers and sea uchins and all kinds of things to look at, a stop on the French side in Marigot (where there's a fabulous cafe/pastry shop called Sarafinas), a stop at Maho Bay Beach to watch the planes landing overhead, and a stop at Orient Beach. I enjoyed the tour just as much when solo as I did with my family and friend!

St Thomas - Magen's Bay Beach. Very easy to get to on your own (shared open-air shuttles), has restrooms, food, drinks, etc.

Tortola - see if the cruise line offers an excursion to The Baths. I did that excursion through Celebrity solo - took a ferry to Virgin Gorda, then walked through these caves and huge rock formations all out to this secluded beautiful beach, then walk back up and ferry back to Tortola. Very beautiful and felt very safe on my own with the rest of the group on the ship's tour!

Happy planning and have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by Newbcruiser1

• 1 year later...

Glad to find out I'm not the only late twenty-something that worries about these kind of things. I'm 29 and I've been on 10+ cruises with family over the years, but also did the Breakaway solo to Bermuda in 2014, and am actually headed back on board in February to escape the cold and go to Florida and the Bahamas. Not the best ports, but I'm mostly looking for a relaxed week in the sun, so the price was perfect.

Do not, repeat do not just watch the planes land and take-off.

Cross the road from the beach and hang onto the fence while one of the big jets take-off. It is a blast! And I mean that literally.

Isn't there a large sign advising people not to stand holding on to the fence?

Isn't there a large sign advising people not to stand holding on to the fence?

Did not stop me or the other people at the fence. And it was fun.

In fact the sign just warns you about the jet blast, not about the fence.

See: http://www.travelitgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/phpa6zheDAM.jpg

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g3160017-d539433-i149730031-Maho_Beach-Maho_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger