Eating gluten free on Nieuw Amsterdam

hammer18

Watch out for the soy and teriyaki sauces. Most have gluten and when I requested GF I was told it wasn't available. Disappointing because sushi was available everyday on our recent Zaandam cruise.

Just bring individual packets of GF soy sauce. I also bring packets of my favorite GF salad dressing.

You have celiac or not--diagnosed by blood tests and/or a biopsy from the esophagus. You cannot be "on the verge"

"

Thats the problem many people say they are "on the verge", but thats not true you either are or not. These people make it difficult for Coeliacs because cross contamination does not affect them but a real Coeliac would be very ill.

Actually, people who are prone or have Coeliac decease are born with one or two major genes that cause it. One in 30 people can get this decease and 30% of people have it and maybe don't know it. It develops at different times for different people. So yes, I would say they could be on the verge depending on symtyoms or lack of them

Actually, people who are prone or have Coeliac decease are born with one or two major genes that cause it. One in 30 people can get this decease and 30% of people have it and maybe don't know it. It develops at different times for different people. So yes, I would say they could be on the verge depending on symtyoms or lack of them

NIH tries to piece the puzzle together about non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) and the scientific facts .... known to date: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4406911/

"......We can conclude that NCGS should be regarded as an independent disease outside of coeliac disease and wheat allergy, and that the number of patients affected is likely to be limited. Many questions remain unanswered and it needs to be verified whether the elimination of dietary gluten alone is sufficient for the control of symptoms, and to understand the overlap with other components of wheat....."

Edited by OlsSalt

NIH tries to piece the puzzle together about non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) and the scientific facts .... known to date: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4406911/

"......We can conclude that NCGS should be regarded as an independent disease outside of coeliac disease and wheat allergy, and that the number of patients affected is likely to be limited. Many questions remain unanswered and it needs to be verified whether the elimination of dietary gluten alone is sufficient for the control of symptoms, and to understand the overlap with other components of wheat....."

Yes, there is a distinctive difference between coeliac decease and gluten allergies. The allergies don't do the damage like coeliac. People with allergies to gluten probably aren't born with the two man genes that can cause the decease.

Many gluten sensitive people are also sensitive to a number of other food items such as fructose, lactose and fructans (e.g., agave, artichokes, asparagus, leeks, garlic, onions, yacón, jícama, and wheat). The University of Monash in Australia and Stanford Healthcare in California do publish extensively on the issue.

Thank you. As you can see I have been on carnival multiple times and have had great success. The one time I went on rccl they made me ill the entire cruise. Not many things can ruin a cruise but sickness is one of the worst. I called rccl before we left and by the end of the cruise I was very ill and they ran out of gf products. Me and my husband want to try a new cruise line as we love carnival but are not interested in the parties or nightlife. We go cruising to get away and relax. Any more advice?

Just came back from several Celebrity cruises. There are several gluten free options in the MDR menu, all catagories, each night and I had no issues at all.

I am sailing HAL next winter and now I am really concerned. We are going with 2 other couples so will be eating together. I should call the cruise line, I guess. Thanks for the heads up

Thank you. As you can see I have been on carnival multiple times and have had great success. The one time I went on rccl they made me ill the entire cruise. Not many things can ruin a cruise but sickness is one of the worst. I called rccl before we left and by the end of the cruise I was very ill and they ran out of gf products. Me and my husband want to try a new cruise line as we love carnival but are not interested in the parties or nightlife. We go cruising to get away and relax. Any more advice?

Just came back from several Celebrity cruises. There are several gluten free options in the MDR menu, all catagories, each night and I had no issues at all.

I am sailing HAL next winter and now I am really concerned. We are going with 2 other couples so will be eating together. I should call the cruise line, I guess. Thanks for the heads up

Have you not read the thread? Each night you will be given the next night's menu. Select whatever you want and the kitchen will make it for you, gluten-free. My wife and daughter even ordered the Baked Alaska which was served without a crust. This works whether you eat at fixed dining, anytime dining or in the Lido - the menu follows your cabin number.

There is also a Gluten-free station in the Lido for breakfast and lunch, and GF buns are available for your burger at Dive-in.

I have been on several HAL cruises and they are without a doubt more than accommodating with food. My suggestion is to introduce yourself to the maitre d' as soon as you arrive on the ship. He/she will suggest you "pre-order" each day for the following day, this is done by getting a copy of the next day's menu. In addition if you have a craving for virtually anything they will prepare it for you with one day's notice! I avoid the buffet for breakfast and choose the dining room. Having said that the buffet does offer a GF toaster which is kept behind the counter. Introduce yourself to the manager of the buffet and explain your disease, they were so helpful during lunch.

Obviously be careful of cross contamination at the buffet.

HAL is awesome with making sure celiac's are taken care of! Looking forward to my next cruise with them in September.