Cruise for the cruise or itinerary???

KAJOKG

Just curious. We have started cruising just for the cruise. We live in FL and discovered cruising 4 years ago after years and years of world wide travel. We are hooked on cruising now, but the itineraries remain the same, and we are beyond the beach and snorkeling time in our lives. We are so happy that we just enjoy the cruise experience. I feared that after our natural interest in new places was sated, we wouldn't want to cruise anymore. Lucky for us, our fears were unfounded!!!

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

It is a little of both for us as there are still many places that we need to see and things we need to do! But I can certainly see cruising just for the cruise. My husband thinks the cruise is the most important part, but he does enjoy the ports when we get there. On our most recent cruise we had 10 sea days and only 5 port days.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

WE"RE BACK!Regal to Hawaii, April 5, 2004

Just the cruise for us, as long as it is Princess. My daughter wants to see the world. Well, she can, but we won't be there. We live in Florida too. We just want to be on the ship. And the ports.... each one we have been to before, we find something new and interesting each time we go. It is the most relaxing vacation I know!! icon_smile.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Having done the Caribbean many times, if we are looking for a trip "just to cruise" we choose a Caribbean itinerary. In this case the ship is usually the main event, and much more important than an itinerary where the ports are the reason for taking the cruise.

On exotic itinerarys we normally cruise for the ports, for places like the Caribbean we cruise for the ship. All depends on where we are going and what we want to do.

At times when there is a new ship out there, we will cruise just for the ship and don't care where it is going.

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

We are addicted to cruising, I think.

We usually choose a cruise for the itinerary, but on occasion have chosen for the ship!

Actually, they go hand in hand - we decide where we might want to go, and then check to see which ships are in the general area, compare the itineraries, amenities of the particular ship, and of course price!

Gnerally speaking, we find that Princess has the itineraries that interest us - particulary in their Exotic Adventures category, which used to have its own separate brochure.

Michael

We have NOT traveled the world and really don't have a whole lot of desire to.

I DO need to see Egypt before I die, just a little thing that's been in my head since I was a little kid, but that's about it.

I would like to cruise to other places than the Caribbean some day but right now that fits in our lifestyle very nicely. Tahiti and those exotic places top my list when we can branch out and put in the time so many of you have been able to devote to a single sailing. BTW, your reviews and talk of these places is simply enchanting to me.

In a few years we hope to move to Florida too and who knows what will happen then.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I'm glad I saw this topic. We cruised to Alaska because of the destination. But we fell in love with cruising on our first cruise to the Caribbean. We have just booked another Caribbean cruise, and we booked just for the cruise. I was getting depressed because there was nowhere I especially wanted to cruise to, until it dawned on me that the destination really didn't matter. What I wanted was a cruise, preferably on Princess. I thought I must be odd because, reading the destination boards, it looks like people cruise primarily for the destination especially for beaches. We, too, are beyond the beach scenes.

LindaKE

Sun Princess(Alaska)

Carnival Inspiration

Never met a CRUISE I didn't like. If I lived in Florida, I would probably live on a ship! Just give me a balcony cabin and the ocean and I'm a happy camper! It's the greatest vacation of all. The ports are the icing on the cake so to speak!

Nice responses. We also enjoy going into the port towns, and still do even though we've been there before. And we did enjoy our Med. cruise last year. But it seems that the cruise experience itself has become our priority and it almost doesn't matter where we go. And I still remember the days when I said "Oh no, not me...I'll never go on a cruise and be stuck on a ship." Never say never.

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

Cruising is a very nice vacation, but I would never want it to be my only type of vacation.

I still want to take ski weeks in the winter, and see places that aren't on the ocean, and get to know places in a more in-depth way than a one (or even two) day port stop allows.

Primarily, cruising is a moving hotel that makes it possible to see lots of spots without having to pack over and over.

I cruise for the cruise. We keep doing Eastern Caribbean because we love sea days and that itinerary has the most. Carnival's 8 day Southern Caribbean is a great itinerary 4 sea days and St. Maarten, Barbados & Martinique. I wish Princess offered something like that.

Susan

Victory CTN CAN'T WAIT!!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Right now we cruise for the itinerary. We both scuba dive. I imagine when I can no longer do that icon_frown.gif ....it will be cruising for the cruise.

Although I do like sea days too. icon_cool.gif

Sea Princess 2/02

DisneyWonder 6/03

Mariner of the Seas 4/04

Golden Princess 1/23/05

I'm still, after 15 cruises, still cruising for the ports. I love the cruise experience, but enjoy the research of going to a new place, what to do there, etc. Right now I have Star Princess Oct. 31st, but only one new port, Tortola. So, even though I'll thoroughly enjoy the ship experience when on it, there's not much to occupy my time with planning!

What happens to be in my plans, and is so exciting now, is trying to put together a package to Fiji, with 6 other CC folks, for 2005. We've learned of Blue Lagoon cruises, a small ship, by cruising standards, only 70 persons. But, because it is so different than what we've done, it's just so exciting! So, the research on a new destination is part of the whole experience, for me. It actually gives me more pleasure, with the planning. Makes bad winter or spring days go by! Dreams are part of it!

Nita

Cruising_Is_Life and Bucky3,

You took the words right out of my keyboard(mouth)...we still like the beach but on our 4/10 sailing on the CP we had the best time just staying on the ship in Mo-Bay...the pools were much quiter and the weather was great. I did sneak off the ship to the duty free shops to get some liquor when we were told that they weren't taking it from you upon returning to the ship. I picked up some rum-cream, vodka and gin for use on the ship. Made some drinks in sports bottles and had the best day just hanging at the pool. We plan on doing that again on future cruises as we will most likely sail the eastern caribbean again and have seen most of the ports so we can get off the ship and do what we want then return to the ship for a relaxing afternoon.

Hoping we can sail again soon....

Mark D.

Crown-92; Grand-01; Caribbean-04...

I'm sure the day will come when we cruise for the itinerary. I dream of a Southern Caribbean and an Hawaiian islands cruise while DH wants to someday do the Panama Canal and Alaska. For now, though, we cruise mostly for the cruise.

With four children 13 and under, we've found cruising to be the most economical choice for family vacations especially since we live within easy driving distance of Galveston and New Orleans. Additionally, the variety of activities on board keeps everyone happy. Land based vacations can quickly become a nightmare in this department - no more assigning each person a day to pick an activity for the family and having at least one or two people complain about the boredom (or stupidity) of someone else's choice. Same with the dining options.

When DH and I are able to vacation alone, we also choose to cruise. What more relaxing, pampered and romantic vacation is there? Either way, we all still enjoy getting off the ship at ports we've already visited to at least just look around.

soccermommie

At this point in time, with DH and myself working more hours than we ever have, we cruise for the ship and the relaxation that it represents. We do get off in St. Thomas and St. Marteen, but could care less about Princess Cays. We live in Florida - maybe 10 minutes from a very beautiful beach. However, some day we plan to do Alaska, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera and Europe. We will most likely be retired and will have more time to enjoy and won't be so exhausted (we hope) when it comes time to vacation. Cruising is the perfect vacation for us. We were actually going to book a luxury cabin in the Smokies, but when we got off the Mariner of the Seas I told DH there was no way I was going to make it more than a year before going on another cruise. So we booked the caribbean Princess. Now we're happy again.

Deb in South Florida

Caribbean Princess 01/15/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;15;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas 3/14/04

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Voyager of the Seas 12/01

Majesty of the Seas 11/00

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

Carnival's Paradise 11/98

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoFloDeb:

At this point in time, with DH and myself working more hours than we ever have, we cruise for the ship and the relaxation that it represents. We do get off in St. Thomas and St. Marteen, but could care less about Princess Cays. We live in Florida - maybe 10 minutes from a very beautiful beach. However, some day we plan to do Alaska, Hawaii, Mexican Riviera and Europe. We will most likely be retired and will have more time to enjoy and won't be so exhausted (we hope) when it comes time to vacation. Cruising is the perfect vacation for us. We were actually going to book a luxury cabin in the Smokies, but when we got off the Mariner of the Seas I told DH there was no way I was going to make it more than a year before going on another cruise. So we booked the caribbean Princess. Now we're happy again.

Deb in South Florida

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;15;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's interesting.... when I read that you were not at all interested in Princess Cays, I thought "What??"! But, if I lived only 10 minutes from that kind of beauty, I guess I'd think the same as you do.

I'm just too far away from beaches and palm trees! I love the mountains, southwest, the tropical beaches, and would probably fall in love with New England, too. Why do I have to live in the flat prairie land? Boo hoo.....

Ok, no more self pity..... At least I'll be seeing Princess Cays for myself very, very soon!

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

JJ, you must be doing a lot of "Happy Dances" right about now, huh? One week from today - woo hoo! Are you flying in the day before? I'm about 20 minutes from the port and we are warming up nicely. Its 82 degrees right now, and nice and sunny. I've never been to South Dakota, but would love to see that part of the country one day. Do they have any cruises sailing out of there? Just kidding. Keep us posted on your trip and have an awesome time!

Deb in South Florida

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;15;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

Since we are from Canada, we love to cruise in the Carribean during our (too) long winter. We cruise for:

- the itineraries;

- the ship;

- well... just having a vacation during winter on a beautiful ship !

As you can see in my "too short" list of cruises, we have never been to Alaska. Why ? Because our 2-3 months of summer are too short to go spend another week or so in the cold... I know that the scenery is absolutely wonderful but I think I'll go there when I'll have a house in the Carribean and I will miss the cold ! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm just happy to cruise where it's hot !

Alain R.

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

Want to see some pictures from our cruises ?

Just go to:

Alain & Linda cruises pictures

... and enjoy !

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

1995 - Regal Princess (Eastern Carrib)

2000 - Sea Princess (Western Carrib)

2002 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib)

2004 - Coral Princess (Panama canal)

NEXT CRUISE:

2005/03/20 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib Meddley)

"Stars are brighter when you look at them from sea !"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoFloDeb:

JJ, you must be doing a lot of "Happy Dances" right about now, huh? One week from today - woo hoo! Are you flying in the day before? I'm about 20 minutes from the port and we are warming up nicely. Its 82 degrees right now, and nice and sunny. I've never been to South Dakota, but would love to see that part of the country one day. Do they have any cruises sailing out of there? Just kidding. Keep us posted on your trip and have an awesome time!

Deb in South Florida

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;15;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I could probably drive one hour to my west and find a Missouri river barge and see if they'd take me on a "cruise"... uh, on second thought....

Anyway, YES! I am so excited I don't know how I'm going to make it through my remaining work days.

My friend and traveling partner is flying in from WA state to FLL on Friday, and so am I, so we are getting there one day early. But, I think I'll be so pooped I'll only get a bite to eat and crash for the night in the hotel. I don't think I'll get to know the area, unfortunately. I've only been to FL once before, and that was to sail out of Port Canaveral on my first cruise in '98. I think it would be a wonderful place to be able to live, you lucky, lucky person, you! icon_smile.gif

If you ever get up north, do stop in SD and check out Mt.Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park, etc.... There is lots of beauty here, but I love the Black Hills in the western part of the state. Ah, the smell of fir, spruce, and pine trees in the morning.....

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

Archived