Will anyone ever go back?

cruzincurt

Although a factor, I think that had little to do with what happened down there. Anytime you have complete Anarchy like what happened in NEw Orleans it will bring out the worst in some people. Those people could be College Graduates, High paid lawyers, or poorly educated people. When people are giving the Opertunity to run wild, some will. That was my problem with you statement. Let’s not forget 18 police officers (I think that’s the correct number) are being investigated for looting.

What offended me was blaming Thugs for all the problems. As I said above 18 Police officers are being investigated. And if memory serves me right, didnt a bunch of prisoners help rescue people from there homes?

*Sorry for the two color/font post*

You are right, they could be well educated, well to do people, but the probability is not likely. The high paid lawyers probably got out. The ones with the means seemed to have been able to leave prior to the storm hitting. You say when people are given the opportunity to run wild, some will. That is the difference between thugs and good citizens. They will seize the opportunity to take what is not their's and not care. I don't think anyone breaking into the cars and stealing items were doing so other than for their own self serving interests, and I don't think survival was playing a part. Just my personal opinion.

There have never been any thugs that passed the police test? Of course there are bad cops.

There have never been any thugs that passed the police test? Of course there are bad cops.

Police Officers are as human as the rest of us. Something else to keep in mind: Those officers in NO also lost everything and most likely lost family members, too. They were starving and desperate just like everyone else. Also, according to my police officer husband, starting pay for an officer in NO is only $16,000/yr. Please don't misunderstand my comments...I am certainly NOT condoning the alleged illegal activities of those officers being investigated.

People who break into cars are, by definition, thugs. Nothing else is assumed by that comment

Police Officers are as human as the rest of us. Something else to keep in mind: Those officers in NO also lost everything and most likely lost family members, too. They were starving and desperate just like everyone else. Also, according to my police officer husband, starting pay for an officer in NO is only $16,000/yr. Please don't misunderstand my comments...I am certainly NOT condoning the alleged illegal activities of those officers being investigated.

According to the NOPD website, your husband is off by over 50% $25,508 is the starting wage, not $16K.

People who break into cars are, by definition, thugs. Nothing else is assumed by that comment

According to the NOPD website, your husband is off by over 50% $25,508 is the starting wage, not $16K.

I stand corrected...apparently the officer who used to live there that dh got his information from was misinformed...HOWEVER...$25,000?? I wouldn't do what P.O.'s do for $25,000/yr. But then, IMHO, my husband doesn't make what he's worth either! :)

I do agree however, thieves are thugs...

PurpleCow - Thanks for your response. Ironically, I am a retired insurance agency owner. I suppose that's why we also have flood insurance, even though we are not in a flood zone. I believe WE are responsible for protecting our property, not the government. As for recouping our losses on income taxes, the documentation required in our (meager) tax bracket was not worth the time and effort.

It should also be noted that no one looted or rioted here, and we were without the services of FEMA until day three. Why the difference in New Orleans? The flooding?

Former personal lines underwriter myself, Two@Sea. I was astonished that our homeowners insurance was not only renewed, but the $500 windstorm deductible remained and the premium didn't go up any more than it usually does each year. We had a great adjustor who allowed our generator as an additional living expense so even that deductible didn't hurt. Where was FEMA? I think they were down in Miami paying out millions in an area that wasn't affected by the storms last year. But I digress. Yes, I think the unanticipated and unplanned for flooding was probably what kept FEMA and the Red Cross out of NO for 5 days, though if you listen to the mayor issuing the evacuation order, he said to bring enough supplies for 5 days, so that must be the amount of time that is generally thought to pass before emergency aid is in place. I'm sure we had some looting here last year and looting was rampant after Andrew.

According the the City of New Orleans website, Police Officers I-IV make $29,978.00 - $34,797.00. I assume this is the starting annual wage. Across the board, salaries for the City of New Orleans employees(major employer) is low for a large city. Boy, all those gainfully employed city workers are just rolling in the dough!

Archived