Cruising with Kids: What do you NOT leave home without!

mommytotwins

I'll add... Extra sunscreen and after sun to the list. Better to have extra. Also we've always taken a blow up beach ball. Takes up no room in luggage buy provides lots of play time.

Also let your kids do some packing and choosing too. They might surprise you at what they think is VERY important to them to have along!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
I usually bring Dramamine (sp?) with me, but I heard it could make them drowsy. I was thinking of the bracelets.

We were just looking at this last night. DH says he read that Bonine is supposedly non-drowsy, and could be a great option for the kids. Also, we took an anti-nausea essential oil (found at Walmart, next to the other OTC seasick meds) on our last cruise. It worked for me (not the hubby). Might be a good idea for the littles, too! :)

We were just looking at this last night. DH says he read that Bonine is supposedly non-drowsy, and could be a great option for the kids. Also, we took an anti-nausea essential oil (found at Walmart, next to the other OTC seasick meds) on our last cruise. It worked for me (not the hubby). Might be a good idea for the littles, too! :)

Thanks for the info! I'll check tomorrow.

After 20 cruises and many vacations with kids besides the actual kids and any meds/sunscreen there is only one absolutely vital thing that will make or break your holiday and that is your attitude/expectations. Roll with whatever happens - expect the unexpected and choose to have a fun adventure. It very likely will be different than what you are dreaming and that is ok. We have had flights delayed and cancelled, luggage lost, trips to doctors everywhere from Disney World to Istanbul and as long as you keep the right attitude (and no one gets really sick of course) you will have an amazing journey.

Bon Voyage - the girls will love it!

I refuse to do laundry on a cruise. :D Remember than shorts especially can be worn multiple days. Nice shirts can be worn to dinner with a skirt and then with shorts during the next day. Do pack two swimsuits/person if possible because no one wants to put on a wet swimsuit, although most ships have a pull-out clothesline in the shower. Also, swimsuit cover-ups or sundresses to cover swimsuits in the Lido buffet area, comfy shoes, and pants and jackets in case it's chilly at night.

We always make sure to pack the kids' multi-vitamins, which seems to help keep them healthy. Also, more basic medical supplies (kids' Tylenol or whatever you use, band aids, etc.) than you think you'll need, just in case.

We have the kids bring a couple books but electronics are left behind or go into the safe once on board. There's plenty to keep them entertained. You can borrow board games and puzzles from the library if you have rainy weather.

Exactly this. I never got why one would want to do laundry on vacation. No harm in letting them wear something twice (unless maybe if a big ketchup stain down the middle :D)

Agree with extra over the counter medicine. Hopefully don't have to use it, but just in case.

Things such as band aids, sunscreen, etc.

We'll bring 3-4 bathing suits so they have time to dry inbetween wearings.

Crocs or some safe shoe to wear around the pool. Haven't bought these yet but I've heard many stories of it being slippery on deck.

Also, we're bringing a life jacket/vest for my younger one to take to the beach. She's 6 (and so too large for blow up wings or puddle pushers) but she can wear the jacket in the water.

And items to keep them entertained on the plane like electronics, activity books...and yes, they are not used during the cruise.

Edited by LuCruise

My daughter was still in diapers and I had bought doggie do bags for the dirty ones and it was amazing! They held dirty and wet diapers well. Having some snacks for the cabin is also helpful. We bought the snack bags pretzels and gold fish and was great to have before a meltdown.