Where is Ventura ?

Host Hattie

I've been reading reviews of this cruise on another well known site and there are those that appreciate that the Captain took the decision taking into account all the factors that it was unsafe to try to access Amsterdam. These people seem to have still had an enjoyable cruise and made the most of the celebrations of New Year. Then there are some other reviews where they blame the Captain for not even trying to enter the port and that it completely ruined their New Year and are after compensation.

We were on Arcadia once and were due to dock at Piraeus for Athens. It was very windy and bumpy and eventually the Captain took the decision to abandon the call. Ruby Princess was there as well and they took the same decision. One of the Officers told us of being on a ship - he didn't say which one - when weather conditions were bad and the Captain decided to try to enter the port and ended up with the side of the ship being scraped on a wall and things being knocked over on board. Perhaps those moaners on Ventura would have been happier then - oh no then they would have been crying out for compensation.

Pando have paid compo in the past for a missed port, but that was because it was entirely down to them. Weather is not down to them. It is in the t and c.

Those people are pathetic.

Pando have paid compo in the past for a missed port, but that was because it was entirely down to them. Weather is not down to them. It is in the t and c.

Those people are pathetic.

It is possible that not being able to get to Amsterdam was not the Captain's decision even though he presumably was in agreement. Eighteen months or so ago, we had to stay overnight in Livorno, not because the Captain insisted but because the port authority closed the port to large vessels due to strong winds whilst we were there. As a result, we missed Monte Carlo. There was disappointment of course but absolutely nothing P@O nor the Captain could have done. Don't forget, the local pilot, who is presumably the most experienced expert when it comes to local weather and sea conditions, quite correctly has an input in whether a ship can dock or leave port.

Presumably had they tried to dock and collided with the sea wall, many of the compo chasers would have suffered severe whiplash or fallen over and grazed their knees - both presumably worth a quid or two on a no win no fee basis.

Quite right. We missed calling at Key West on a cruise out of New Orleans because we were delayed as there was something wrong with one of Arcadia's azipods and engineers had to be flown out to New Orleans to get it sorted so we were a day late leaving and in order to fulfil the rest of the itinerary Key West had to be missed. We each received £100 OBC the night we eventually left New Orleans. So if it's a fault with the ship P&O will compensate passengers but not for the weather.

I was on Ventura and our group were gutted not to get to Amsterdam. We were told that Queen V could get through the canal and we could not because it is not as tall so not as affected by the wind and also the thrusters on QV are much more powerful and can turn 360 degrees (apparently Ventura's thrusters have only 25% of the power QV does).

I understand the reasons and it's the captain's decision but it that doesn't unspool your holiday. An extra quiz, film and ping pong isn't quite as good as NYE in Amsterdam.

I also believe that when you book these cruises they should tell you how often the ship makes it to a certain port.

I was on Ventura and our group were gutted not to get to Amsterdam. We were told that Queen V could get through the canal and we could not because it is not as tall so not as affected by the wind and also the thrusters on QV are much more powerful and can turn 360 degrees (apparently Ventura's thrusters have only 25% of the power QV does).

I understand the reasons and it's the captain's decision but it that doesn't unspool your holiday. An extra quiz, film and ping pong isn't quite as good as NYE in Amsterdam.

I also believe that when you book these cruises they should tell you how often the ship makes it to a certain port.

QV and QE are the same ship type as Arcadia. They do not have the conventional propellers but they have pods. These give far better manoeuvrability in tight spaces.

Or possibly how about some of you did some homework beforehand and read up on different ports.

We did a river cruise a few years ago ,but before we even booked it I knew they had problems with too much or too little water, and which companies dealt with the situation better. Based on that we chose which company to travel with.

A port can be tricky or impossible to get into,dependent on the weather.

Never ever book a cruise that stops at Guernsey. They have problems getting into there in the height of summer.

Do your homework in the future

That's a little patronising. We did plenty of reading into the cruise and the ship. Been on many cruises before and I don't care about your river cruise. The thread asks where was Ventura and I answered it.

And thank you for that, I was aware after QE's infamous pre - Christmas Cruise to nowhere last year that there could be an issue getting into Amsterdam, that was quite a long time after we had booked.

Fortunately as it turned out we did make it and once we were in Amsterdam the weather was lovely. It does make me wonder if P&O has such a variety of ships to choose from, why they would send one of their biggest, least manoeuvrable to such a difficult destination in the middle of winter.

Edited by Host Hattie

A port can be tricky or impossible to get into,dependent on the weather.

Never ever book a cruise that stops at Guernsey. They have problems getting into there in the height of summer.

Do your homework in the future

I would qualify that ....dont book a cruise that stops at Guernsey if it is important that you go ashore there!

But....I have been on three cruises that have stopped at Guernsey....two were scheduled to stop there. And did. And one was scheduled to stop somewhere else but the French went on strike! So we went to Guernsey instead! Maybe i have just been lucky but never missed it!

So Glad you had a good time despite missing Amsterdam.

I dont know if you are on Facebook ( or Faceache according to the English lady:D) but reading some of the posts on various groups there suggests that a lot of people didnt enjoy it at all and want compensation! Lots of moans, I got fed up reading them. I would have loved to have been on the ship on NYE, wherever it was , and listing or not!

Not quite sure how the passengers are feeling at the moment though....have a look at the sea through the BOB today & tomorrow on .....

http://www.passageweather.com

Now that looks like "fun" !:eek:

I believe Balmoral had a very rocky ride yesterday :O

I would qualify that ....dont book a cruise that stops at Guernsey if it is important that you go ashore there!

But....I have been on three cruises that have stopped at Guernsey....two were scheduled to stop there. And did. And one was scheduled to stop somewhere else but the French went on strike! So we went to Guernsey instead! Maybe i have just been lucky but never missed it!

We have been to Guernsey twice and got off twice :)

When we booked this New Year cruise we accepted that, on occasion, the ship doesn't make it in to Amsterdam. So it was a case of fingers crossed but not end of the world if we didn't get in. We were prepared to 'party hearty' no matter what.

We have been on a couple of cruises where we have had to miss a port. Again, if that happens we just get on with it. If a particular destination is important to us we usually fly and have a land based break. I am aware that's not an option for some.

I'm sure P&O's, or any cruise lines hearts must sink when they have to make a decision to miss a port. They know people will be disappointed and some will kick off. As far as I'm concerned, it's their job to keep me safe and they know what they're doing.

We arrived home yesterday on Oriana and had quite a bumpy, noisy Force 10 across the BOB....but she rode it well......we like the fact that aft decks remain open when all others are closed, so it is still possible to get some fresh air, and watch the terrace pool sloshing around!!!!:)