Royal Caribbean GBR tour from Cairns

650cs

I can't find anything from anyone that has taken Royal Caribbean's ships tour to the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns. Even the RC website didn't have any reviews available. Everything I have read indicates that there is not enough time to book this tour independently even though Cairns is the closest point to the reef.

If you have taken this $299 tour, was it worth it?

Thanks

I have not done the GBR tour through Royal Caribbean, but I have done many snorkeling tours on the GBR and they have all been excellent. Based on the description given about this particular tour, I am assuming that RC has chartered a boat from one of the major outfitters in Cairns. If you read the reviews of the various Cairns-based GBR tour companies, you will see that they all get excellent reviews. See:http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g255069-Activities-Cairns_Cairns_Region_Queensland.html

Because the trip is described as suitable for "advanced snorkelers and divers" and makes no mention of glass bottom boats, underwater viewing platforms, etc. I would guess that the boat is not Reef Magic. Nor should it be a boat that goes to Green Island, which has poor coral and sealife.

It would be nice if the cruise boat's schedule would allow you to book your own GBR trip, but that's not going to be possible, so you'll be paying a premium for this excursion. (FWIW, the rate on Silverswift, which carries up to 130 passengers, is $210.)