Arrive Before Departure Date Or Day Of?

I will be taking my 5th cruise next year. For all previous cruises I arrived the day of the departure. After a couple close calls and just for the sake of not being pressed I have decided to arrive the day before. We will be departing from San Juan, PR on the Serenade of the Seas. I was just wondering what the rest of you do. Do you arrive a day or more early or the day of your departure. For those of you who have arrived early and departed from San Juan, PR where did you stay in San Juan and how was it. Did you book on your own or through the cruise line?

I will be taking my 5th cruise next year. For all previous cruises I arrived the day of the departure. After a couple close calls and just for the sake of not being pressed I have decided to arrive the day before. We will be departing from San Juan, PR on the Serenade of the Seas. I was just wondering what the rest of you do. Do you arrive a day or more early or the day of your departure. For those of you who have arrived early and departed from San Juan, PR where did you stay in San Juan and how was it. Did you book on your own or through the cruise line?

For our first cruise we flew out the evening before - only because it was in February and I didn't want to take the chance of a snow delay. Our next cruise is in November and we are flying to San Juan day of departure. We have a 7:00 straight thru flight and if there is any kind of delay there is a later flight at 9:00 which would put us in San Juan around 2:00 in the afternoon and the ship isn't departing until 10:00. Since it is just myself and my mom I figured I would be able to sleep on the plane on the flight down if my kids and DH would be along I would probably fly out the day before. As far as hotels - it all depends where you want to stay. There are alot of resorts in the Isla Verde area which are close to the airport. If you want to stay in Old San Juan try the El Convento.

For our first cruise we flew out the evening before - only because it was in February and I didn't want to take the chance of a snow delay. Our next cruise is in November and we are flying to San Juan day of departure. We have a 7:00 straight thru flight and if there is any kind of delay there is a later flight at 9:00 which would put us in San Juan around 2:00 in the afternoon and the ship isn't departing until 10:00. Since it is just myself and my mom I figured I would be able to sleep on the plane on the flight down if my kids and DH would be along I would probably fly out the day before. As far as hotels - it all depends where you want to stay. There are alot of resorts in the Isla Verde area which are close to the airport. If you want to stay in Old San Juan try the El Convento.

We have always gone down at least 1 day before our cruise. Takes the stress out of the start of the trip, we are rested when we board. It is nice to see a bit of the departure port also. When we sailed out of san juan we went 2 days before and stayed at the Condado plaza, we booked this through the cruise line.

If we ever sailed out of SJ again we would probably book our own precruise hotel to save some $$. WE did enjoy the Condado Plaza alot but it was pricey. Lots to do in SJ.

We had some friends sail with us once and they refused to go the day before. Feb weather hit and the nearly missed the ship, their luggage caught up to them 3 days later...not a fun time.

Funcruiser

We have always gone down at least 1 day before our cruise. Takes the stress out of the start of the trip, we are rested when we board. It is nice to see a bit of the departure port also. When we sailed out of san juan we went 2 days before and stayed at the Condado plaza, we booked this through the cruise line.

If we ever sailed out of SJ again we would probably book our own precruise hotel to save some $$. WE did enjoy the Condado Plaza alot but it was pricey. Lots to do in SJ.

We had some friends sail with us once and they refused to go the day before. Feb weather hit and the nearly missed the ship, their luggage caught up to them 3 days later...not a fun time.

Funcruiser

I have done both and I really have learned that in order for the day of embarkation to not be so harried we fly in the day before (or evening before). It makes the day of embarkation so much more relaxed and I'm actually in a vacation frame of mind. Otherwise (especially if we are traveling as a family) we are snapping at each other before we even get onboard because it's just plain too long a day.

You will enjoy the day before arrival so much.

I booked through a travel agency - always better handling that way.

I have done both and I really have learned that in order for the day of embarkation to not be so harried we fly in the day before (or evening before). It makes the day of embarkation so much more relaxed and I'm actually in a vacation frame of mind. Otherwise (especially if we are traveling as a family) we are snapping at each other before we even get onboard because it's just plain too long a day.

You will enjoy the day before arrival so much.

I booked through a travel agency - always better handling that way.

We used to arrive the day of and we never missed a cruise but a couple of times we were a bit stressed when we got there and very tired from flying out really early in the morning. Our last three cruises we have flown down a day (or even two)before and have found that it makes such a difference. We have a nice day to relax before the cruise and enjoy the local area. If we're tired from flying and need to go to bed early the first night, at least we're not missing the first night of the cruise.

As well, we always get to the port early now. For our cruise on the Jewel of the Seas we got to the port just before 11:00 and there were only 8 people ahead of us in line to board. We were on board and enjoying the ship by about 11:10. I never really realized how much better it would be to go down early until we tried it the first time. Now we won't even think about going the day of departure.

We used to arrive the day of and we never missed a cruise but a couple of times we were a bit stressed when we got there and very tired from flying out really early in the morning. Our last three cruises we have flown down a day (or even two)before and have found that it makes such a difference. We have a nice day to relax before the cruise and enjoy the local area. If we're tired from flying and need to go to bed early the first night, at least we're not missing the first night of the cruise.

As well, we always get to the port early now. For our cruise on the Jewel of the Seas we got to the port just before 11:00 and there were only 8 people ahead of us in line to board. We were on board and enjoying the ship by about 11:10. I never really realized how much better it would be to go down early until we tried it the first time. Now we won't even think about going the day of departure.

We always fly down the day before so we have a buffer in the event of travel problems. It's also nice to sleep late the day of the cruise so we are well rested when we go onboard. We always book the air and the hotel ourselves.

We always fly down the day before so we have a buffer in the event of travel problems. It's also nice to sleep late the day of the cruise so we are well rested when we go onboard. We always book the air and the hotel ourselves.

Anytime we can get to the cruiseport at least a day before we sail, we do so. It certainly reduces the stress of traveling to the ship on the day of sailing and allows you to get onboard early in the day and have that much more time to explore and enjoy the features of the ship. Well worth the cost of an overnight at a hotel and usually provides time to enjoy whatever the departure port has to offer. In Miami, we usually plan a gettogether for dinner with folks we have met online who are travelling with us. In London, we have had dinner with fellow passengers a day or two before the sailing. Plenty of positives and few, if any, negatives.

Anytime we can get to the cruiseport at least a day before we sail, we do so. It certainly reduces the stress of traveling to the ship on the day of sailing and allows you to get onboard early in the day and have that much more time to explore and enjoy the features of the ship. Well worth the cost of an overnight at a hotel and usually provides time to enjoy whatever the departure port has to offer. In Miami, we usually plan a gettogether for dinner with folks we have met online who are travelling with us. In London, we have had dinner with fellow passengers a day or two before the sailing. Plenty of positives and few, if any, negatives.

We now live in Florida, so don't have to worry about winter weather problems as we did when we lived Upstate NY. We still fly down to San Juan the day before the cruise. We take a flight where we arrive in the afternoon so we are able to enjoy the rest of the day and get a good night's sleep before the cruise.

When we flew down the day of the cruise, we were always worried about weather and were always tired when the ship sailed. We usually sail on Celebrity's Constellation and it doesn't leave until 11PM.

We have stayed at different hotels and we have liked all of them. They are pricey and we haven't ever tried Priceline or any of the discount sites. We have stayed at the Marriott Stellaris, Embassy Suites, El San Juan (Really expensive), Condado Plaza and another one whose name slips my mind. This time we are staying at a Hampton Inn. It is near the El San Juan and about 1/3 the price.

We go to the ship about 11AM and get to board early. It's almost like having another day aboard the ship. We have been to the tourist things in San Juan so we enjoy the time on the ship. We are able to unpack leisurely and relax on the ship.

Whichever you choose, I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. Have fun!

Katie

We usually book same day air and then decide a day or two before we want to go early. LOL

Ends up costing us more in fees to change tickets if they even allow it.

We once had same day air booked when a huge snow storm hit the north east. Here are pictures of our drive to the airport....

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/coming_soonjewel_of/03830001.html

We called Air Tran and they put us on the the flight for the day before with no charge due to the storm that was heading our way. By the time we got to the airport all other airlines had cancelled every flight and were booking their passengers on our flight. I guess the type of plane we were flying was different from the others and could fly in those conditions. The flight left on time and was a smooth flight.

Our next problem was trying to find a hotel for the night. We had to do that in a layover. We didn't have time to do it before we left. We almost missed the flight as it was. I called my Mom who looked up hotels and gave me phone numbers. I tired 6 or 7 all booked solid. I though for sure we would be sleeping in the airport. We finally got a room but paid a lot more than we normally pay for a pre-cruise room. Oh well. Lesson learned. If at all possible go the day before. Unless you can drive to the port.

We have cruised out of San Juan twice. Once we flew in a day ahead and once we flew in the day of the cruise. I have to say we much prefer going the day before we cruise. Get a good night sleep, sleep late the next morning and everyone is in such a better mood for the cruise. When we fly the same day, everyone's nerves are a bit on edge by the time we get to the ship. We fly from Dallas so it's about a 6 hour flight for us. We stayed at the Marriott because we had enough points for a free nights stay.

We always go a day or more early. We don't like to arrive at the ship stressed out from flying. For our next cruise we are arriving in san juan 5 days before leaving on AOS. We plan on being well rested before we embark. We also like to get the ship early on the day of embarkation and enjoy the pool.

Flying in the day before is best. It not only allows you to relax and get a good nights rest before you board the ship, but also allows you the opportunity to explore the home port. After all, when will you be in San Juan again? There is so much to do there, and the food is wonderful.

And just think about how early you can get on the ship. While everyone else is flying down and dealing with aiport delays and crowds, you will be on board enjoy lunch and a drink!!:D

Living in Fl. & being able to drive to the ports, we usually leave the day of sailing. For our last cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale though we decided to drive down the day before & it was great, especially since I had enough points to get a free night at the Holiday Inn Express!:D

Next year I am sailing out of Boston & will probably arrive 2 days early just to have some time to explore.

Archived