Itinerary help for young kids

Aggies24

We are cruising with our 5 young kids ages almost 2 - 12 (yes, we may be crazy) in March on Liberty of the Seas. Need help with planning itinerary to roatan, Belize and Cozumel. The things we want to do most include snorkel, lots of beach time, visit a school or orphanage and give them soccer balls, basketballs, footballs etc. my kids would love to swim with dolphins and/or stingrays but I'm worried this may cost too much.

Roatan- Victor Bodden private tour. Orphanage stop, monkeys, and Tabyana beach.

Belize- still waiting to see if someone can take us tubing, including young children. Maybe do zoo here, but the monkeys in Roatan may be enough animal viewing. Or is the zoo better? Can you hold monkeys at the Belize zoo? Anyone visited an orphanage here? Really stuck on what to do here with young kids.

Cozumel- paradise resort beach day. Or an orphanage here instead of the other ports?? Or Dolphins? How long does dolphin encounter take?

Thanks for any help. Will post in other ports as well.

We use Victor Bodden in Roatan. He has been very kind in taking us to the Auld primary school to drop off things. The orphanages in Roatan are doing pretty well bu he public schools really need the help. Thank you for your kindness.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The Belize zoo is more of a sanctuary, so I doubt there are any animals tame enough to hold. In my mind it is more congruent with the type of trip where you teach your kids about charity and generosity by bringing things for less fortunate children, though. Instead of teaching them that it is OK to train wild animals to interact with humans for our entertainment, you would be showing them a place where indigenous wild animals are kept in an environment that is as close as possible to their natural habitat.

We are bringing our 4 year old to the Belize Zoo the first week of February, so I'll be sure to post a review!

The Belize zoo is more of a sanctuary, so I doubt there are any animals tame enough to hold. In my mind it is more congruent with the type of trip where you teach your kids about charity and generosity by bringing things for less fortunate children, though. Instead of teaching them that it is OK to train wild animals to interact with humans for our entertainment, you would be showing them a place where indigenous wild animals are kept in an environment that is as close as possible to their natural habitat.

We are bringing our 4 year old to the Belize Zoo the first week of February, so I'll be sure to post a review!

Anonmon what a beautiful post. We in Belize cannot wait for you and your family to visit our country. My grandchildren spent Christmas night at the Belize Zoo so that they could witness the animals feeding at night. There is a wonderful book about Pat the Great Cat that I am sure your four year old will love. Janice

Anonmon what a beautiful post. We in Belize cannot wait for you and your family to visit our country. My grandchildren spent Christmas night at the Belize Zoo so that they could witness the animals feeding at night. There is a wonderful book about Pat the Great Cat that I am sure your four year old will love. Janice

Thank you for the recommendation, Janice! I found the book on Amazon and ordered it so that it will be here before our trip. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going with Victor Bodden in Roatan he has monkeys at his house. It is an add-on to the tour. The cost is an additional $5pp and you can go into the cages and interact with the monkeys. There are other animals there too. You just have to watch them, they will go into your pockets and steal your stuff!

If I brought little kids to see the monkeys I would bring them in one at a time, they can overwhelm you pretty easily. Would hate for the kiddos to get scared!

Can I get more info on the charity aspects mentioned? We are traveling with a 3 year old and almost 9 year old. We have been on many cruises and I would love an opportunity to bring something that may help the children in Belize. Any help would be appreciated.

• 6 months later...

We ended up going to Goffs caye. It was a relaxing day and very pretty water. A little dirtier than I expected and rocky. But less stressful than trying to see ruins or doing something else. It got really really busy in the afternoon, glad we got right over there in the morning. Probably wouldn't do this excursion again, but it was fun to try. Would love to do the ruins next time when kids are a little older.