Diamond Princess- outlets and voltage

azdmelani

We will be sailing on the Diamond in less than two months from Auckland to Sydney. It's my understanding that the outlets on the ship have been converted to AUS/NZ conventions. Is this correct (we will have to bring adaptors?).

Also, has anyone taken a US blow dryer/hair straightener on the ship and had any issues with the voltage? Want to make sure Im not going to burn the cabin down ;)

Thanks!

We will be sailing on the Diamond in less than two months from Auckland to Sydney. It's my understanding that the outlets on the ship have been converted to AUS/NZ conventions. Is this correct (we will have to bring adaptors?).

Also, has anyone taken a US blow dryer/hair straightener on the ship and had any issues with the voltage? Want to make sure Im not going to burn the cabin down ;)

Thanks!

There are two types of outlets on most Princess (unless changed for Asian).

There are usually two American standard 120VAC outlets and one European 220VAC outlet. The only outlet in the bathroom is for a razor and won't handle a hair dryer. I'm not sure if your allowed to bring hair dryers on board.

There are usually two American standard 120VAC outlets and one European 220VAC outlet. The only outlet in the bathroom is for a razor and won't handle a hair dryer. I'm not sure if your allowed to bring hair dryers on board.

Thanks Kamloops. I've brought my blowdryer on all of my Princess cruises and never had an issue. I'm specifically looking for information on the Diamond, as it has non-US outlets.

I was on the Diamond two years ago and indeed there are US outlets. Used my curling iron (I'm from Canada) at the desk outlet, no problem.

Cheers.

Things may have changed since it's been deployed to Asia and Australia/New Zealand.

I'm interested in this too since I will be boarding in Sydney in March.

Input from anyone who's been on the Diamond recently is appreciated.

Just off the Diamond on Sunday. The cabin had two US style 120V outlets plus a new 'universal' outlet that was 240V. I was able to plug an Australian plug into the universal outlet.

All three plugs were at the desk. This was for an inside cabin, Plaza deck.

Just off the Diamond on Sunday. The cabin had two US style 120V outlets plus a new 'universal' outlet that was 240V. I was able to plug an Australian plug into the universal outlet.

Thanks very much! Extremely helpful information. Hope you had a great cruise!

I couldn't get an Aussie plug into out "Multi purpose outlet" but could into a friend's.

But yep 2 USA, one multi and a couple of US behind the TV.

C Baclcony

On the Diamond last month. In addition to the two US-type outlets at the desk, there are additional US-type outlets behind the TVs. Very handy for charging laptops, etc.

You can also bring a small power bar. Handy if you want to charge different batteries at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
You can also bring a small power bar. Handy if you want to charge different batteries at the same time.

Thanks for that suggestion... seems so simple, but we often don't do those simple things, and then we think of them when we are on board and do a head shake at our stupidity!!! Will write that one down on our list of "MUST BRING"...

• 1 year later...

All praise the CC search function!

I was looking for exactly this information. BTW IN Japan while the voltage is slightly different, the plus are US style and the voltage is close enough that you can just use US plugs. Glad to hear there is a euro outlet and that helps with keeping charged ;)

We had US outlets on the Diamond when cruising Japan for 20 days. They were definitely by the desk; not sure where else. Daughter had no problem plugging in all the things that she can't live without, but I don't remember if she had an outlet by the bed or not. I just remember that there was no complaining!

Outlet in the bathroom we use for night light on both the Royal and the Regal

26989064229_b12f116dc1_z.jpgRoyal Princess Bathroom Night Light

Power strip with no surge protector

26989064279_7a039daca4_z.jpgPower Strip

Bring one of these if you need to use the 220v outlet

27614795639_056d8727e7_z.jpgAmazon 81NEBXAxk5L._SX522_ by

Do not bring a hair dryer

Howard

Royal Princess Bathroom Night Light

27614795639_056d8727e7_z.jpgAmazon 81NEBXAxk5L._SX522_ by

Do not bring a hair dryer

Howard

We have many European plugs because we go there frequently. Once in Paris we had forgotten our iPad plug so we went to the Apple store at Louvre Carousel and got ourselves a European iPad plug, which we use often when cruising Holland American. Glad to hear Princess has a similar assortment.