Thomas Keller mark deux

Emperor Norton

Ok, I just finished speaking with someone from the Quest in Antarctica. It seems that Thomas Keller is living up to his "don't do harm to the ingredients" reputation. What I mean by that was on this persons cruise when it was a TK dinner the steak came out one way (rare! YAY!!!!!) as that was what TK specified and the crew were contractually obligated to NOT veer from TKs cooking preferences. So those that like proteins cooked a certain way, you may want to steer clear of the TK menus.

We too found the TK menu on the Odyssey a bit rigid and unbending. Seems in its early stages an awkward fit for Seabourn but we are trying to keep an open mind. It is however tough to keep positive when we see Seabourn staff in black denim on the TK nights. That combined with the recently relaxed dress code which of course has been liberally interpreted gives us some reason for concern as far as the direction they are headed.

Oh dear. Presumably there is enough on the menu so you don't have to have TK?

I don't think it will suit us. Black denim? Does that mean the guests wear it too. J

TK dishes in the MDR are in addition to the regular full menu.

Black denim uniform only applies to the TK's Ad Hoc-style evenings in the Colonnade.

No worries.

So if you want a steak medium rare, or (gasp) medium well, it just won't happen? That seems absurd to me.

I have never heard of a restaurant that will not cook meat to the diner's liking. "Absurd" is a very apt description.

So if you want a steak medium rare, or (gasp) medium well, it just won't happen? That seems absurd to me.

It's just the Thomas Keller dishes - and yes, that's how he does it within his restaurants as well for dishes with beef, lamb, game, etc.

Not only is it absurd...but it is offensive to the customer who has paid a pretty penny for choice, luxury and exceptional service. Cooking a food item only one way is akin to a mass cafeteria approach. Silly and egotistical on the part of the chef.

When I sailed on Odyssey last month the Thomas Keller beef courses were red but NOT blood rare, as some have inferred. While rare is to my taste others at our table requested "medium" and were happy with their beef.

Unless one dines in Colonnade (by reservation) on specifically Thomas Keller menus, one can choose any TK course on the MDR menu if one wishes. No one is forcing anyone to order only Thomas Keller. I, for one, appreciate the opportunity to try innovative dishes from an extremely talented chef.

It does seem silly to advise others on menus one has not experienced.

As some would say, JMHO!

You have to wonder how much in depth thought and planning Seabourn did before deciding to team up with Thomas Keller. Seabourn’s advanced publicity concentrated on the fine dining end of his operations and not on the cheap and cheerful serve yourself end.

From the various reports on this board at least on the Odyssey and Sojourn the smooth running of the MDR and the kitchen appears to have badly affected since the Keller trials commenced which seems to suggest that both those in the kitchen and the MDR have lacked adequate training and or maybe management are just expecting too much and had failed to appreciate the practicalities of implementation and suitability for shipboard operation.

For those of us who have future cruises booked we remain uncertain what the food offering will be in each dining location if and when it settles down on the Odyssey class ships. On the Encore class it looks as though the additional speciality restaurant will be Keller’s serve yourself with a rigid approach to how items should be cooked with a separate smallish Sushi section, the MDR which is unlikely to be able to seat all passengers at once possible with one or two Keller fine dining additions for each course and the Colonnade and the deck grill hopefully remaining much the same. Lets hope that Seabourn get on top of the issues quickly.

We experienced some failings in the main dining room over the holiday period on Sojourn but it was nothing to do with Keller. His food didn't feature at all which if I'm being honest disappointed me. I was looking forward to experiencing it for myself.

Henry :)