A video from our recent Singapore to Hong Kong cruise on Sojourn

Able Seaman H

You will have a great time. It's a lovely part of the world to travel around and You will enjoy Sojourn. There are some very well put together shows onboard at the moment which is a bonus. I particularly enjoyed Sessions and Midnight Hour.

Henry ;)

You will have a great time. It's a lovely part of the world to travel around and You will enjoy Sojourn. There are some very well put together shows onboard at the moment which is a bonus. I particularly enjoyed Sessions and Midnight Hour.

Henry ;)

Done

Edited by Mr Luxury

Henry,

I showed my husband your video. He's interested in what camera you used and what editing package. Why do I feel we are going to be adding to his stash of equipment! Thanks.

Joanna

Thank you! Wish our videos were a tenth as professional as yours.

We're looking forward to following in your wake next month.

D.

To be honest it isn't really about the camera or the editing. I use a Canon 70D and Final Cut Pro on the Mac but it could just as easily be the free iMovie editing suite which came with the MacBook and I also use a Panasonic camcorder. I upgraded the editing package more so that I could easily import footage from my video camera.

I have a little talk whilst on our Mediterranean cruise teaching people how to make better holiday videos. Everyone makes the same mistakes and so I have developed a simple formula which produces videos like these.

I quite fancy helping others when we are on board, particularly on cruises where there are a lot of sea days. The ship is a wonderful playground to practice photography or video, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I am actually not very good at editing compared to many but that has the advantage that the technique doesn't overpower the content.

You need to have an eye for a good image but loads of people I meet on board have that with their stills photography and we see lots of examples posted up on here.

Henry :)

A lot of people have been struggling to view the video on an iPad or other mobile device. The people who own the rights to the music I used are a bit harsh about how and on what devices their work can be used. I totally understand, it's their material.

To get round the problem I've re-made the video using a track from Handré, our cruise director on last years South Africa cruise. Those of you who have travelled with him will know that as well as being a lovely guy he is also an accomplished pianist and composer.

Hopefully this will work better. The song used is Hazy Horizons, from his album Aquasphere.

UB9Ncy2-3Xg

Very good Henry much better with Handre music.

I did notice the Alfred Hitchcock trick of appearing in ones own film [emoji12]

I've been kicking around ideas for using Handrė's music for a while but it's hard on 2 counts. Because I know the chap I don't want to short change his work and because there are no vocals it makes you study the videography more intensely.

I'm hoping to cruise with him again at some point when we have some sea days so I can discuss ideas he might have. I've got some of my own but I want to know if they were what he was thinking when creating the music.

As for appearing in my own video, see it as a little eye candy for the ladies :)