Empress Bow

Might be crew only. It looks like the bow area is open like Sovereign and Vision class, and not covered like the ships with a helicopter pad.

Edited by clarea

I believe the most accurate term for the area you're thinking of, the foremost part of the upper deck, is the forecastle (commonly abbreviate to fo'c's'le (pronounced FOKE-sull)). And no, as Bob said, on earlier RCI ships this area is closed off and used to stow equipment, machinery, spare parts, anchor chains, etc. It's not until the Radiance class that RCI started putting the helipads there.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

It's very much like the Vision class ships. The promenade deck wraps around the whole ship, including forward, but the forecastle area is closed off. When I was last on her several years ago there were stairs that went up to a deck outside of the forward facing cabins which offered a nice view. I didn't see any restriction signs when I went up there. Of course, one needs to regard the privacy of people in those cabins if they have their curtains open.

It's very much like the Vision class ships. The promenade deck wraps around the whole ship, including forward,

Hello CarpeCerevisi. I don't think this is correct. On Vision Class I've never seen access on the Promenade deck around the front of the ship ever. Have have several pictures of the various Vision Class ships I've been in on with closed gates and "Crew Only" signs at the entry points to the bow. Maybe you're thinking of Sovereign Class?

It's very much like the Vision class ships. The promenade deck wraps around the whole ship, including forward, but the forecastle area is closed off. When I was last on her several years ago there were stairs that went up to a deck outside of the forward facing cabins which offered a nice view. I didn't see any restriction signs when I went up there. Of course, one needs to regard the privacy of people in those cabins if they have their curtains open.

I have one of those cabins booked #8004 : )

I think these pics will show what CarpeC was referencing... you can go up a deck from the promenade deck where the walkway will go in front of the foreword facing cabins. This area is aft of the bow which is a working area and not open to the public.

64picn.jpg

23ht646.jpg

Doesn't show the entire bow, but you can tell it is not the helipad type of deck...

2ajtdly.jpg

Edited by BillB48

Hello CarpeCerevisi. I don't think this is correct. On Vision Class I've never seen access on the Promenade deck around the front of the ship ever. Have have several pictures of the various Vision Class ships I've been in on with closed gates and "Crew Only" signs at the entry points to the bow. Maybe you're thinking of Sovereign Class?

You are correct, they are almost always closed, but I have seen it open on a couple of ships. The deck just continues around to the other side as it does on the Empress. The Empress' promenade deck has always been open all the way around and since there is no full sun deck above the pool people use the promenade deck for jogging.

You are correct, they are almost always closed, but I have seen it open on a couple of ships.

Not on Vision Class. Sovereign yes, Radiance/Voyager/Freedom classes yes to the Helpiad, Oasis yes by invitation only to the Helipad. Quantum. like Vision, also closed to the public.

On Enchantment, the only time we've encountered the forward promenade walkway closed off was when the ship was docking or dropping anchor for tendering. We walk that deck routinely on every cruise we take on her.

Not on Vision Class. Sovereign yes, Radiance/Voyager/Freedom classes yes to the Helpiad, Oasis yes by invitation only to the Helipad. Quantum. like Vision, also closed to the public.

I've had the same experience as CarpeCerevisi, Hoopster. On our first cruise on Grandeur, we could go around the forward part of the Promenade deck, at least in the daytime. IIRC we tried to do that at night once and it was blocked off, but otherwise we were definitely able to go around.

I believe the most accurate term for the area you're thinking of, the foremost part of the upper deck, is the forecastle (commonly abbreviate to fo'c's'le (pronounced FOKE-sull)). And no, as Bob said, on earlier RCI ships this area is closed off and used to stow equipment, machinery, spare parts, anchor chains, etc. It's not until the Radiance class that RCI started putting the helipads there.

The Voyager Class had the helipads first (1999 for Voyager vs 2001 for Radiance). :)

Going to high jack this thread just a little. Since several on here seem very knowledgeable about the layout of the Empress

Can anyone give me opinion on room 7154. 7156??

We know they are obstructed view. But just wanted to make sure there is not a walkway in front of these cabins. From the videos I've found and other threads it looks like that would be deck 6 not deck 7

Our other choice would be rooms 4112 and 4114. But would be paying just a little more money. I have always liked the higher decks. And not sure if the view is worth going lower, especially when costing more

Opinions???

On Enchantment, the only time we've encountered the forward promenade walkway closed off was when the ship was docking or dropping anchor for tendering. We walk that deck routinely on every cruise we take on her.

I've had the same experience as CarpeCerevisi, Hoopster. On our first cruise on Grandeur, we could go around the forward part of the Promenade deck, at least in the daytime. IIRC we tried to do that at night once and it was blocked off, but otherwise we were definitely able to go around.

Thanks for clearing that up everyone... I stand corrected CapreCerevisi. I guess even with 51 days on various Vision Class ships (never sailed GOS) and specifically even asking one of the Capts about being able to go around forward (and being told absolutely not ever) it just seems each ship/Capt/Hotel Director/Chef basically play by their own rules for many different things that aren't standard from ship to ship. I appreciate the replies to support Cerevisi... learn something new everyday.

So on Visions Class, as you walk around forward, I'm assuming you are hidden underneath the framework of the ship as you go around the front... is that correct? I'm guessing the "machinery" on the bow is absolutely not accessible to the public and the walkway that wraps around is fully enclosed? I'd love to see a picture... from the hundreds of reviews I've read over the years I have never seen any CC'er post this and I usually explore every nook and cranny of every ship I've ebver been on so this baffles me. Thx again :)

I think these pics will show what CarpeC was referencing... you can go up a deck from the promenade deck where the walkway will go in front of the foreword facing cabins. This area is aft of the bow which is a working area and not open to the public.

64picn.jpg

23ht646.jpg

Doesn't show the entire bow, but you can tell it is not the helipad type of deck...

2ajtdly.jpg

I am the OP..thank you for this picture..our room is actually right below the bridge...looks like we will have a great view of the Ocean!!!!