NCL vs CCL Alaska Prices, 2017

zdcatc12

I am looking at a round-trip from Seattle Alaska cruise for next summer. I have a FCC to use on NCL, so they were my first choice. However, their pricing is through the roof. For the date that I am looking at (the week of June 18), the cheapest balcony on NCL is $2K/pp. Yes that includes one of the four freebies. However, on CCL, I can get an aft balcony for $1400/pp. On NCL, an aft would be $2400/pp.

Even though I am platinum on CCL, given the choice if all was equal, I would probably pick NCL, as my last 2 cruises have been great on NCL. These are on Jewel-class ships on NCL and the Legend on CCL. I guess the best NCL deal would be with the UBP, but then that would add another $90/pp and I don't think that we will be drinking $1K worth of drinks on an Alaskan cruise.

With that being said, NCLs pricing seems to be more in line with Princess and Celebrity, so maybe it is just CCL being that much cheaper.

I am looking at a round-trip from Seattle Alaska cruise for next summer. I have a FCC to use on NCL, so they were my first choice. However, their pricing is through the roof. For the date that I am looking at (the week of June 18), the cheapest balcony on NCL is $2K/pp. Yes that includes one of the four freebies. However, on CCL, I can get an aft balcony for $1400/pp. On NCL, an aft would be $2400/pp.

Even though I am platinum on CCL, given the choice if all was equal, I would probably pick NCL, as my last 2 cruises have been great on NCL. These are on Jewel-class ships on NCL and the Legend on CCL. I guess the best NCL deal would be with the UBP, but then that would add another $90/pp and I don't think that we will be drinking $1K worth of drinks on an Alaskan cruise.

With that being said, NCLs pricing seems to be more in line with Princess and Celebrity, so maybe it is just CCL being that much cheaper.

Wow! That's a huge difference! I'm also platinum on CCL, and I've cruised Alaska three times on the Spirit (the Legend is a sister ship--I sailed her on a Baltic cruise). My opinion is to compare port times and glacier viewing and decide whether NCL's itinerary warrants the additional cost. CCL goes to Glacier Bay on only a very small number of sailings a season, so if Glacier Bay is important to you, that would be a consideration.

Does the price lower if you don't opt for the UBP? I haven't priced out a potential cruise since the "freebies" have been put in place since I already have one coming up.

Wow! That's a huge difference! I'm also platinum on CCL, and I've cruised Alaska three times on the Spirit (the Legend is a sister ship--I sailed her on a Baltic cruise). My opinion is to compare port times and glacier viewing and decide whether NCL's itinerary warrants the additional cost. CCL goes to Glacier Bay on only a very small number of sailings a season, so if Glacier Bay is important to you, that would be a consideration.

Does the price lower if you don't opt for the UBP? I haven't priced out a potential cruise since the "freebies" have been put in place since I already have one coming up.

CCL does Tracy Arm and NCL does Glacier Bay. We have done Glacier Bay before, so that wasn't a factor.

Without the freebies, NCL goes down $100 pp, hardly worth it to not get one of them.

I had my first (I want to go back, lol) Alaska cruise in 2015 on the Sun and it was wonderful so no complaints with NCL, however I know that pricing is important too. It is an extremely port intensive cruise so I think that your first consideration should be itinerary even above ship comfort. Sometimes cruises are all about the ship experience, but NOT Alaska. The ship is just your ride in a sense. Pick the itinerary(including the amount of time you have in port) that you prefer and let that be your guide. But I do agree with your choice of an aft balcony, they are awesome![emoji3]

CCL does Tracy Arm and NCL does Glacier Bay. We have done Glacier Bay before, so that wasn't a factor.

Without the freebies, NCL goes down $100 pp, hardly worth it to not get one of them.

Tracy Arm's pretty fantastic if you do the small boat tour. We boarded a catamaran in Tracy Arm and then reboarded once the ship caught up to us. Definitely a highlight of the trip! The calving was fantastic--highest priority for me on the last trip (2011) was to see glacier calving, and I was not disappointed! Also saw Orcas in Tracy Arm which was pretty spectacular. :D

I agree that $100 is insignificant.

NCL fare may go down, I watched the Pearl fares for June 2016 for a while. When first published in Dec 2014 balcony was $2639pp then was down to $1699 by the end of March. Started going up in May and has continued upwards and many categories already sold out.

Edited by TMC
typo on dates

I had my first (I want to go back, lol) Alaska cruise in 2015 on the Sun and it was wonderful so no complaints with NCL, however I know that pricing is important too. It is an extremely port intensive cruise so I think that your first consideration should be itinerary even above ship comfort. Sometimes cruises are all about the ship experience, but NOT Alaska. The ship is just your ride in a sense. Pick the itinerary(including the amount of time you have in port) that you prefer and let that be your guide. But I do agree with your choice of an aft balcony, they are awesome![emoji3]

We have done Alaska once before and on our Glacier Bay day we could see the tops of the mountains. We are going back because we enjoyed it so much. The port calls are the same except for not doing Glacier Bay and stopping in Victoria (our first one was O/W North). Plus, we didn't do Tracy Arm the first time, so that will be new. In addition, this will be during the solstice so it will be light until after midnight, our balcony will get plenty of use. Had a regular balcony the first time, want an aft this time.

We have done Alaska once before and on our Glacier Bay day we could see the tops of the mountains. We are going back because we enjoyed it so much. The port calls are the same except for not doing Glacier Bay and stopping in Victoria (our first one was O/W North). Plus, we didn't do Tracy Arm the first time, so that will be new. In addition, this will be during the solstice so it will be light until after midnight, our balcony will get plenty of use. Had a regular balcony the first time, want an aft this time.

It seems like you've made your decision then, and came to a logical, well thought out conclusion. I hope you have a wonderful voyage! [emoji3]

I think it depends on the situation. I was also looking at a cruise to Alaska with Carnival in 2017. I liked the price and thought it was much cheaper than NCL. Then, I really started to compare. We are in a suite on NCL, which means the UBP is included. There are four of us, two of whom do not drink. We simply made the two drinkers the first two on the reservation. With Carnival, in order for the two who drink to get the Cheers package, all four of us would have had to purchase the package, making the cost of the trip($400 per person at $49.95 per day)closer to NCL.

Also, in order for the cabin to comfortably fit four adult women on Carnival, we would have had to book a grand suite, and it didn't compare that well to the Penthouse with a balcony we now have.

The first two on the reservation will be able to take advantage of the UDP but, I will be Platinum by then so I will be able to eat in Le Bistro anyway, so it doesn't matter that much.

I guess what I am saying is, it isn't always just the cruise cost to consider.

Also, in order for the cabin to comfortably fit four adult women on Carnival, we would have had to book a grand suite, and it didn't compare that well to the Penthouse with a balcony we now have.

The first two on the reservation will be able to take advantage of the UDP but, I will be Platinum by then so I will be able to eat in Le Bistro anyway, so it doesn't matter that much.

I guess what I am saying is, it isn't always just the cruise cost to consider.

Sorry for going off topic, but wanted to let you know that I am not sure how four adult women can sleep in a penthouse. Is it a forward-facing penthouse?

It seems like you've made your decision then, and came to a logical, well thought out conclusion. I hope you have a wonderful voyage! [emoji3]

Yeah, booked on CCL. But if NCL prices do go down later, I can always change it. I'm just worried that I won't be able to get an aft balcony if I wait.