Flight questions

Erikamac

We've always flown direct, but there is a one stop with a 2hr layover in Dublin that is about $600 less (1k if we were to take the upgrades on the direct which most likely we would).... I'm just afraid 2hrs isn't enough to get through customs and all... And what if there are delays? Flying out of Chicago there are usually delays. I've also never flown aer lingus and have no idea what to expect of them. Has anyone flown them? Thoughts? The flight lands in Amsterdam with PLENTY OF TIME about 5hrs before we need to be on the ship. We would be booking choice air which supposedly has some guarantees but I'm still concerned.

We would never, ever book flights across the Atlantic with only a five hour margin from arrival to ship leaving. Delay in Chicago, miss your Dublin Amsterdam connection and you are in a mess. Also, even if everything goes pretty well to schedule you will be constantly worried something may go wrong....

Why not look at the same flight but a day or two earlier...Enjoy a taste of the Netherlands.

We've always flown direct, but there is a one stop with a 2hr layover in Dublin that is about $600 less (1k if we were to take the upgrades on the direct which most likely we would).... I'm just afraid 2hrs isn't enough to get through customs and all... And what if there are delays? Flying out of Chicago there are usually delays. I've also never flown aer lingus and have no idea what to expect of them. Has anyone flown them? Thoughts? The flight lands in Amsterdam with PLENTY OF TIME about 5hrs before we need to be on the ship. We would be booking choice air which supposedly has some guarantees but I'm still concerned.
Ireland is NOT in the Schengen Zone (the Netherlands and most of the EU is in Schengen; there are no passport or customs controls within Schengen). I was hoping to be able to tell you that you would be in a Transit Area in Dublin with no need to clear immigration, BUT I can find nothing about a Transit Area on the Dublin Airport site, and I find internet claims that Dublin does NOT have a Transit Area. Two hours should be adequate time for the relatively small airport in Dublin. That ASSUMES that your flights are on time, which as you know is not a given. Unless you have a good back-up plan (are there later flights out of Dublin that might get you there IF they have space? does the ship have a port stop the next day with a good airport close by?), I wouldn't chance it given that you have other options. Amsterdam has a number of reasonably priced hotels a few blocks from the ship docks; fly in early and enjoy a great city.

Thom

We would never, ever book flights across the Atlantic with only a five hour margin from arrival to ship leaving. Delay in Chicago, miss your Dublin Amsterdam connection and you are in a mess. Also, even if everything goes pretty well to schedule you will be constantly worried something may go wrong....

Why not look at the same flight but a day or two earlier...Enjoy a taste of the Netherlands.

Bc we did a RT Baltic last year out of AMS and spent two days in AMS...no need to repeat when we were just there in July. We are going to be getting in that morning....its just a matter of connection or not really. So you are saying that flying from the US we would NOT have to go through customs and immigration in Dublin before the connecting flight?

Edited by Erikamac

Ireland is part of the EU. I am fairly sure you would complete immigration and customs there.

As TravelerThom says it is a relatively small airport so hopefully you should complete in time for a two hour window...The down side to a small airport is the number of flights leaving...if you were to miss your connection have you a 'plan B'? Will the next flight to Amsterdam get you there still on time, always assuming they have spare seats....

Your call, technically you can do it but for the cost of an overnight hotel and peace of mind is it worth it?

Edited by chemmo

Ireland is part of the EU. I am fairly sure you would complete immigration and customs there...
Yes, Ireland is part of the EU, BUT it is NOT part of Schengen. Since there appears to be no Transit Area in Dublin, there would be Irish immigration in Dublin AND Schengen immigration at Amsterdam.

If you plan on flying in "day of" (and yes I have done that), know where your downstream ports are in case you miss the sailing.

Thom

Aer lingus flight gets in at 9:50 am AMS local, delta direct gets in 7am... Don't have to be on the ship until 3.

Have said this over and over. Anything goes wrong and you miss not only a connecting flight, but your cruise as well. Fly in the night before and then you can relax. Also do not know where you live exactly but would look at secondary carriers like Condor, Norwegian etc.

Immigration in Dublin is at least an hour. Then you have both in Amsterdam.

good luck.

Edited by az_tchr

You will have to go through passport inspection in Dublin before heading out to your connecting flight. From experience, those lines can take forever depending on your time of arrival. On my flight, we were in line for 40 minutes because so many flights came in at the same time.