Huge price increase overnight. Normal?

want2go2

As you can tell i am not a frequent poster on CC.

Still haven't taken our first cruise but I have been doing more research lately and on Thursday evening did a search for around spring break 2017. I wrote down all of the cruises that would work for us and prices for balcony and suites.

On Friday morning when i went to show my husband so we could talk about what we wanted to do, the prices had gone up $300-400/pp.

Just wondering if this is normal. Do prices change that drastically, that fast? Maybe it was a one day sale? I didn't even know how good of a deal that was on Thursday until i saw how much more they were on Friday.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

--Michele

I was putting prices together for another family that was considering traveling with us. They were going to think about it overnight. Price went up by $200/cabin.

We booked anyway. Guess it will continue to go up if people like me are willing to pay the prices.

They are known to mark up prices give you some obc and call it a sale.

Yeah like every other business in business for profit. They is everyone at some point in time. For the record, I have gotten obc from price drops and also from promotional offers where the price didn't sky rocket. I guess they are known for that too.

OP in my experience the prices don't change drastically. They usually creep up. But you can never tell. Best to put what you want to consider on hold, talk it over and decide, then book what you want.

Prices for spring break cruises change dramatically like that yes. They will drop just as dramatically though. It is all based on computer sales and if the cruise drops in popularity, so will the price. We usually do spring break cruises and early saver is always the way to go and I would bet the price will go down at some point

Prices for spring break cruises change dramatically like that yes. They will drop just as dramatically though. It is all based on computer sales and if the cruise drops in popularity, so will the price. We usually do spring break cruises and early saver is always the way to go and I would bet the price will go down at some point

Good to know. Ours is a spring break cruise. First time doing early saver. We booked 86 days out so not a risk otherwise.

Good to know. Ours is a spring break cruise. First time doing early saver. We booked 86 days out so not a risk otherwise.

I was wondering how you got ES 86 days out? Would love to know for future reference

Usually when I've seen this, it is because the lowest priced category has run out, so the price "jumps" to the next category.

For instance, an obscured balcony may be $500 PP, and that's what they show as the lowest price. But that may run out, so suddenly it's $800 PP because now the lowest category is the regular balcony. If that makes sense...

Also, see if the fare is different on another computer or after you clean your history/cookies. Some airlines track browsing history and increase fares for people based on what they've been looking at. Maybe Carnival has this too and increased the fare because you've been eyeing it?

I was checking for a price drop on my cruise last night and the cabin price was slightly lower on my iPad than it was when I checked it on my laptop (at the same time).

I was wondering how you got ES 86 days out? Would love to know for future reference

Carnival has been tweaking the sales and rates almost every day since the new year. And it wasn't a VIFP offer either. Strange. Doesn't look like its going to do me any good. We are in a spa deck/balcony so most of that category are already selling out.

As you can tell i am not a frequent poster on CC.

Still haven't taken our first cruise but I have been doing more research lately and on Thursday evening did a search for around spring break 2017. I wrote down all of the cruises that would work for us and prices for balcony and suites.

On Friday morning when i went to show my husband so we could talk about what we wanted to do, the prices had gone up $300-400/pp.

Just wondering if this is normal. Do prices change that drastically, that fast? Maybe it was a one day sale? I didn't even know how good of a deal that was on Thursday until i saw how much more they were on Friday.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

--Michele

Supply and demand...First cruise.You may already know this BUT once you step out in the hall everyone on the cruise is the same (platinum get a few perks) You won't get a better seat anywhere because you spend more for your room, except a window, balcony or suite. I avoid the 1A bunk beds but otherwise the standard rooms are pretty much the same. Some may disagree...just saying.