Fishing

Bluemoon319

My brother and a friend went out with Driftwood Charters on December 30- half day afternoon. They were about 5 miles off the west coast and caught a sailfish (catch and release only) within 15 minutes of the lines being in the water. They also caught an albacore.

I don't know that any of the charters fish on the windward (east) coast of the island. On a calm day, which is rare, you are still talking average swells of 3 foot. More often than not they are about 6'. Christmas Eve we were on the beach at California (northeast tip of the island) and waves running in excess of 10'.

I would love to get recommendations for a fishing trip as well as opinions about which side of the island is better for fishing. Thanks in advance. :)

I'm going in sept which will not help but checking there's a place that does fly and spin fishing inshore. I will be fishing from the beach when there as some of the video I've seen on you tube. I think the Caribbean side is the side to fish though. Let me know when you are going and how you make out and if you use a guide there.

T.

My brother and a friend went out with Driftwood Charters on December 30- half day afternoon. They were about 5 miles off the west coast and caught a sailfish (catch and release only) within 15 minutes of the lines being in the water. They also caught an albacore.

How much do they charge, do they only charter the boat or do they seek out individuals?

How much do they charge, do they only charter the boat or do they seek out individuals?

Charter, that seems to be the only way to book for fishing unless it's offered from the ship. In my experience though, the ships charge about double/pp for fishing than it comes out to when I charter something.

My brother split the half day charter with a friend. $400 for the boat, split by 2 was $200 each plus tip for Captain and crew. http://driftwoodfishingcharters.com/trip.php?pageid=Mw==

I see people asking frequently on CC's sister website Tripadvisor.com looking to split charters.

Off of a cruise ship, I would also suggest asking in your roll call for anyone interested in splitting the charter with you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. It looks like I will be booking a charter from Driftwood. Unfortunately we will be in Aruba on a Sunday and their restaurant is not open on Sundays. Too bad because their dishes look fabulous. They did say that they will hook us up with anther restaurant at the pier though to cook our catch.