"Relax on the Beach" - Carnival

thewynn

We will be in Mahogany Bay on Feb 10 with Carnival. I was looking tonight and the "Relax on the Beach" package is sold out (out of all my excursions I wasn't worried about this one selling out). Interestingly the "Relax on the Beach with Snorkel" is available for $10 more, but I have read that the snorkeling is poor there. I would only get the snorkel package in order to get the beach package.

My question is this- I believe I can walk over to the beach chairs with clam shells and use them without charge (or can take the chair lift for $12), does this area normally fill up? Would I have a likely chance of finding 2 chairs if we just walked over without a reservation, or should I pay the $50 for the excursion through Carnival?

Thanks

Perhaps someone will come along with better information.. in the mean time.

The walk from the ship to the beach is free, the beach is free, the loungers are free.

The chairlift is payable. I would not think the clam-shells are free. There is a contact page on the website, perhaps they could be of help.

My guess would be the extra $10 for snorkeling is for the gear, I agree the snorkeling is not so good along the beach, there have been whispers about fish and other critters near the end of the pier -> Pic

It would difficult to predict if there will be loungers available in the shade, perhaps having a look at the ship schedule on the web site would help you decide if you need to pay extra for guaranteed shade.

• 3 months later...

No need to pay for the chair lift ride. There is a paved walkway to take you to the beach. We've gone several times at different times of day and have always found (free) lounge chairs. Yes, sometimes we might need to move them to get them into the shade or into the sun (depending on our preference for the day). There are plenty of trees for shade. There are also picnic tables and open air restaurants with plenty of shade.

Carnival ships usually come in before Princess ships so you would have first pick of loungers. Don't know what day and time your ship is scheduled, though. The clamshells do have a charge, but if you're there near the end of the day and want to camp out in one that someone has already left they usually don't kick you out.

There is snorkeling at the end of the pier. There are a couple ladders to make your way into the water. It's not great snorkeling, but there are fish. I always go off the pier when we are there. I wouldn't waste my time trying to snorkel from the beach, though. Too many people in the water makes it too murky.

When we want a lazy day at the beach without spending a penny (except for maybe a drink or some BBQ) we go to Mahogany Bay. If we want want to be more adventurous we head out to the West End for the beach and snorkeling.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I love Roatan!

There is snorkeling at the end of the pier. There are a couple ladders to make your way into the water. It's not great snorkeling, but there are fish. I always go off the pier when we are there. I wouldn't waste my time trying to snorkel from the beach, though. Too many people in the water makes it too murky.

When we want a lazy day at the beach without spending a penny (except for maybe a drink or some BBQ) we go to Mahogany Bay. If we want want to be more adventurous we head out to the West End for the beach and snorkeling.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I love Roatan!

Great to hear from another person who has experienced both the port beach and West Bay/West End. We love Roatan as well and the west side of the island. Never could stay more than an hour at Mahogany Bay, although it is very nice, because nothing compares to the west bay beach.

Which West End beach would you recommend for relaxing?

If you mean West Bay Beach, Infinity Bay is very nice and great place to relax. Good drinks, food, and service as well and the best part of the beach in my opinion. You can snorkel right from the beach and it is amazing. Gran Roatan is next door and is new -- and very nice.

If you want rustic, Beachers is suppose to be good. Bananarama is there as well.

They do. It is around $25 pp. We book the private driver for the day via Rony Tours or Bodden. They usually arrange everything. You pay when you arrive at the resort.

That's exactly what we are doing - a private tour with Bodden. This is our first time to Roatan and I was just wondering which beach to have him take us to after we did a little touring of the Island and my girls get to see the monkeys. Thanks for the input.

That's exactly what we are doing - a private tour with Bodden. This is our first time to Roatan and I was just wondering which beach to have him take us to after we did a little touring of the Island and my girls get to see the monkeys. Thanks for the input.

I remember my first time there... private driver was the way we went and will always use there for now on. We did the monkey thing and it was fun. Have a great time! West Bay Beach is the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean I believe. I am hooked. We like to eat and shop in West End Village after some beach time and then cap it off with a visit to the rum place on top of the hill. They will probably take you there. Great photo op. Have fun!

For beach, just depends on what you want to spend. Luxury - $25 (Gran Roatan, Infinity Bay). Rustic - $10 (bananarama, Beachers, Fosters). Bananarama is cool because they have the Thirsty Turtle bar and grill. Cool little place. They all have something cool about it. Do some research on those places and pick the one that best suits what you are looking for. To me, I am just happy to be there and paying $10 is worth it at any of those places listed above.

Edited by BrotherCraig