Has anyone done the Budapest to Black Sea cruise? Suggestions?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I am trying to decide between this cruise and a considerably longer one (that goes all the way from Amsterdam to Black Sea). A few suggestions I have gotten in another thread is to split the trip up into two segments (Amsterdam to Budapest, and then the remaining eastern section).

The cruise I like for the Budapest to Black Sea is with Tauck and is only 7 actual cruise days and 12 days overall. So I'm looking for suggestions as to which one I should go with and, if I decide on doing the Budapest to Black Sea as a separate trip - how best to extend that trip to make it a bit longer. Maybe just add extra days in Budapest? The trip already includes some days sightseeing in both Budapest and Bucharest. I don't care to fly all the way to Europe for less than 2 weeks. Thanks for any ideas or recommendations. I have never river cruised before and so some here have suggested that perhaps a shorter one initially might be a good idea.

Another factor is that the Amsterdam to Budapest is available many more months than either the real long one I am considering (only spring / summer). Also, Tauck only runs the B to B cruise in spring and summer. Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest is 15 days overall, and the longer one that does the entire trip 24 days.

Keith

Edited by three4rd

We are taking this cruise with Vantage in September, Budapest to Bucharest. Their version has you on board for 9 nights and 1 night in a Bucharest hotel.

As far as extra days, we are arriving 3 nights early in Budapest, and staying an extra 5 nights on the Bucharest end. In Budapest we will stay in the city. We were there once before and I don't think we'll have problems spending our time.

In Bucharest we plan on heading up to Brasov in Transylvania for 4 nights and using it as a base for day trips. It sounds like trains are easy to use, and small group tours can take you to see castles, mountain towns (Sibiu, Sighisoara), etc. If you go on You-tube there are videos of the area that look beautiful.

Not a ton of info on this Eastern European route, people do warn that it is more stark than the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. If you search, there are some reviews. We did AMS-BUD as our first (and only so far) cruise and it was a great length and nearly perfect. Tauck seems top-notch, I think you'd enjoy wherever they go.

We're going on the Budapest to Bucharest cruise with Viking in April. Like Uralguy, we are planning on 4 extra days at the end in Transylvania going to Brasov. We've hired a private guide that was cheaper than the Viking extension. On the front end, we're spending 5 days in Prague (one of which will be spent getting from Prague to Budapest). All together it comes to a little over three weeks gone from home.

Ural guy - any more details on your Transylvania extension - sounds like your going to take a train and DIY from Brasov. Where are you staying in Brasov?

I've tried to start a roll call for Eastern Europe -All Lines anytime in 2016, but so far there's been no response. I was beginning to think we were the only ones going there this year!

Ural guy - any more details on your Transylvania extension - sounds like your going to take a train and DIY from Brasov. Where are you staying in Brasov?

I've tried to start a roll call for Eastern Europe -All Lines anytime in 2016, but so far there's been no response. I was beginning to think we were the only ones going there this year!

Nothing booked yet for Brasov. I saw this on Tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294458-i3832-k9110682-What_shall_I_do_with_4_days_in_Romania-Bucharest.html

The local posters make it sound do-able. The transportation to the various cities is frequent. I've checked out a few private guides web sites also. The USD $ goes pretty far, so we may splurge on that.

We have an early morning flight so we'll stay near the Bucharest airport. $38 for a nice hotel w/ shuttle. I'm paying $240 for Embassy Suites in San Diego next month!

I'll have to check out your roll call. Enjoy your trip!

Prague - yes we are flying into Prague. We looked into renting a car to Budapest but it was going to cost $800 (automatic) plus cost of "permits" to cross each border. Between needing an automatic and the drop charge in Budapest, it was a killer. Way too much. Then we found a tour operator who offered transportation by car from Prague to Budapest with guided stops in two towns along the way for $600 for both of us, so we elected that option instead. There's also the option of flying. For some day trips out of Prague, we've signed up for 2 tours - one to visit Cremzy Kumlov (may not have this spelling correct) and the second to a castle. Rest of the time in Prague will be DIY with my handy Rick Steve's guidebook.

Transylvania - we were going to do the Viking extension but when I read the day to day itinerary, I found that although it's 4 days, 2 1/2 of those days are really spent in Bucharest. So we opted for private guide, upscale hotel in Brasov, private car instead of bus, and 3 full days in Transylvania - all for less than the Viking extension.

Fun planning, isn't it!

Transylvania - we were going to do the Viking extension but when I read the day to day itinerary, I found that although it's 4 days, 2 1/2 of those days are really spent in Bucharest. So we opted for private guide, upscale hotel in Brasov, private car instead of bus, and 3 full days in Transylvania - all for less than the Viking extension.

Fun planning, isn't it!

id4elizabth- We did the same, signed up for Vantage's extension, then canceled. They dropped a few things and I realized we could wander off on our own for less money, without too much trouble.

The planning is fun, especially with never having been to most of these countries before. I could go to Ireland or Western Europe tomorrow and have a blast, navigate no problem. The end of this trip will be a bit of an adventure. With a good ATM card, passport and WIFI we should be able to manage. And comfortable shoes. :)

I've read some of your trip reports, hope you plan on writing volumes about this trip! Myself and others would appreciate it.

Edited by ural guy