"Relax on the Beach" excursion

thewynn

I posted this in the Roatan section but didn't get any response. Since this is a Carnival specific excursion I thought I would ask here.

We will be in Mahogany Bay on Feb 10 with Carnival. I was looking tonight and the "Relax on the Beach" package is sold out (out of all my excursions I wasn't worried about this one selling out, but it did). Interestingly the "Relax on the Beach with Snorkel" is available for $10 more, but I have read that the snorkeling is poor there. I would only get the snorkel package in order to get the standard beach package, not interested in the snorkel in that area.

My question is this- I believe I can walk over to the beach chairs with clam shells and use them without charge (or can take the chair lift for $12), does this area normally fill up? Would I have a chance of finding 2 chairs if we just walked over without a reservation, or should I pay the $50 for the excursion through Carnival?

We thought about Tabayna but really don't want to take the 30-40 min ride to the beach and the beach by the ship sounds fine from what I have read if we don't want to snorkel. I'm still on the fence a little bit but leaning toward the cheaper way of staying at the beach by the ship.

Am I correct in my memory from these boards that you can walk over and use the beach chairs AND clam shells for free if you don't have a paid excursion? My wife really needs the shade. Basically does the paid excursion just give you a guaranteed spot and 2 tickets to the sky ride?

Thanks

I posted this in the Roatan section but didn't get any response. Since this is a Carnival specific excursion I thought I would ask here.

We will be in Mahogany Bay on Feb 10 with Carnival. I was looking tonight and the "Relax on the Beach" package is sold out (out of all my excursions I wasn't worried about this one selling out, but it did). Interestingly the "Relax on the Beach with Snorkel" is available for $10 more, but I have read that the snorkeling is poor there. I would only get the snorkel package in order to get the standard beach package, not interested in the snorkel in that area.

My question is this- I believe I can walk over to the beach chairs with clam shells and use them without charge (or can take the chair lift for $12), does this area normally fill up? Would I have a chance of finding 2 chairs if we just walked over without a reservation, or should I pay the $50 for the excursion through Carnival?

We thought about Tabayna but really don't want to take the 30-40 min ride to the beach and the beach by the ship sounds fine from what I have read if we don't want to snorkel. I'm still on the fence a little bit but leaning toward the cheaper way of staying at the beach by the ship.

Am I correct in my memory from these boards that you can walk over and use the beach chairs AND clam shells for free if you don't have a paid excursion? My wife really needs the shade. Basically does the paid excursion just give you a guaranteed spot and 2 tickets to the sky ride?

Thanks

We've been to Mahogany Bay twice so far. The beach is so close to the ship that there is no reason to pay for an excursion nor the sky ride.

Both times there were plenty of loungers free for the use and lots of trees so a clamshell wasn't necessary for my husband, who lives in the shade. I don't remember if there was a fee to use a clamshell. It can't be that much, if so. We wanted to make the most of our time there so we left the ship for the beach not long after we docked.

As for snorkeling, I don't remember anywhere to do that at MB. Does the "Relax on the Beach with Snorkel" guarantee you'll see sea life?

I know some people rag on MB since it's a man-made beach. We loved it both times were visited.

Edited by stargate fan

I'm pretty sure that you have to pay in order to use the clamshells, but like someone else mentioned they do have some lounge chairs under trees. The last time we went to Mahogany Bay it sold out online also, but once I got on the ship I went to the shore excursion desk and was able to book it then. So check when you get on and see if it's available. I think you can also buy the chairlift separately which to me is more fun than walking down the path.

The snorkeling is really really good there. However it seemed to me that many people didn't realize where the snorkeling area was. On the far end of the beach there is a long pier. It divides the swimming from the snorkeling. Go on the other side of the pier and out. One of the best snorkeling spots I have ever seen!ImageUploadedByForums1452551802.502723.jpg.f6369db86df6b2e595b25d37f84cf29e.jpg

The snorkeling is really really good there. However it seemed to me that many people didn't realize where the snorkeling area was. On the far end of the beach there is a long pier. It divides the swimming from the snorkeling. Go on the other side of the pier and out. One of the best snorkeling spots I have ever seen![ATTACH]373292[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the tip!

Thank you for the replies everyone, I appreciate it. Reading the reviews on Carnival it does seem like most the people who found the right spot for snorkeling loved it, those who didn't know about the spot by the pier were the ones who gave it low stars.

we have been to Mahogany Beach at Roatan a few times as well, and LOVE that you can access the beach and volleyball there without any fee. We've been under shade there also without a fee but wasn't a clam shell. We accidentally discovered the coral to the left of the pier mentioned and also found it to be incredible. In fact we count ourselves lucky that we didn't get cut on the coral so near when we jumped in from the pier with our own snorkel sets we carried from home. This stop a fav if we choose a Caribbean cruise!

We got the package on our last cruise for the same reason that the one sans snorkel was sold out.

One of the main things we wanted was the floating mats for the water, so it was worth it. These, along with clamshells, were sold out before the day had even begun. There is quite a bit of shade around the island so you will be able to get that for free.

And clamshells, if they aren't all reserved, are not free.