dvd players are going away

SeaBands

Just came off Eurodam Jan 3. TV in verandah cabin mounted on wall opposite bed and visible from sofa.

There are however no input jacks of any kind for your own audio or video.

I have enjoyed bringing audio cables to hook up my iPhone to the TV speakers, but this is no longer possible. Same goes for any video input from a tablet,etc.

If by "on demand" you mean what RMLincoln just described, then yes. It was there in my inside cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam. At least there the TV could be seen from the couch. It was on the wall by the side of the couch.

(best viewing angle was from the toilet, if you could figure a way to keep the door open. ;) )

Probably true, Ruth... but the seat isn't very comfy...:eek:

We were on the New Years cruise on Eurodam. We were in an outside HH, the TV was on the wall opposite the bed.

Well we liked the new TV system and thought it was an upgrade. The TV is larger and the system is very fast loading (most hotel TV systems are old and painfully slow). The movies are in HD and a newer selection, however probably fewer than before. There is no DVD. Several times on the old system, I got scratched DVDs that wouldn't play, and sometimes there was only one copy available so no movie to be seen.

I liked that the TV has weather forecasts for the ports and a zoomable and 'pannable' itinerary map. I brought my iPhone with an offline sea-chart, but the TV was more convenient to use.

As for other interactive features - there were speciality restaurant menus, but they proved inaccurate, and no MDR menus. No account statements, room service, excursions etc. Might hopefully be added later.

and as each ship goes into dry dock they will change the TVs and eliminate the dvds in favor of online streaming. They told me that they are offering the first 5 seasons of Downton Abbey but no way to watch my dvds of season 6.

The Nieuw Amsterdam had the new system on my Dec cruise. Have they been in dry dock recently? Zuiderdam had the DVD/CD player yet - which I was grateful for - having hauled some with me for the 3 week total cruises. But now I know not to bring too much with me and hope for the best on my Vista-class ships.

Yes.

Don't expect the TVs to have available ports fir a portable DVD player either. Might be wrong, but very doubtful I am.

Most modern video monitors DO have input ports for DVD players, cam-corders etc, Acessibility is another matter tho. If they are mounted on the wall, can the ports be easily reached? :confused:

There was no DVD player incorporated into the TV on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I knew enough to check based on my Riviera experience.

There is a selection of on demand movies, but not nearly as extensive as it was before this change. The older, and classic, movies are gone completely. I was hard pressed to find many I was interested in seeing.

Our cabin TV usually doesn't get turned on, but I would have liked it if they kept the older or classic movies available. As for the new screen location, I find it just a bit annoying that it will make the cabin seem more entertainment-focused. I'm guessing there will be a channel showing the view ahead of the ship - add audio of the bow wave and I'd probably turn that on.

Our cabin TV usually doesn't get turned on, but I would have liked it if they kept the older or classic movies available. As for the new screen location, I find it just a bit annoying that it will make the cabin seem more entertainment-focused. I'm guessing there will be a channel showing the view ahead of the ship - add audio of the bow wave and I'd probably turn that on.

Both TV types on my last cruises had both bow and aft views with music in the background. On the new system it is under live tv just after all the offered channels - news & ESPN (2). On the old system - channels 43 & 44 or was it 44 & 45? :rolleyes:

Very pleased HAL doesn't charge for movies. We were on Celebrity and they charged for movies, etc. There were a few basic channels, like news, the ship channel, and one channel that showed the same 2 or 3 movies over and over again. Everything else, they charged a per use fee. We're not big TV watchers, even at home. But there are times when we feel like resting and relaxing, even on a cruise. This is particularly true when the cruise is port intensive. Here's hoping HAL continues their no fee service. :)

Most modern video monitors DO have input ports for DVD players, cam-corders etc, Acessibility is another matter tho. If they are mounted on the wall, can the ports be easily reached? :confused:

That's why I said "available" - the ports are blocked by the installation.