SOS: Will she or won't she make it to the ship on time?

WhereIBelong

I agree with kayred! Since this is my first cruise and the Grand isn't scheduled to leave Barcelona until 10PM, I originally planned to arrive that morning. I though 10-12 hours would be plenty of time (I'm flying from Germany to Spain). A good friend pointed out that if my flight was delayed for any reason, I'd be stuck. Since I like Barcelona anyway, I just decided to fly in on the 15th vice the 17th. Personal choice, I know, but after hearing 'near' horror stories such as OPs, I'm glad I did it! And of course, I have GOOD travel insurance :)

Let's us know when you hear from her! I REALLY hope she made it. I think you are right -- she would have contacted you by now if she missed the ship.

How stressful this must have been for her. I hope she has a wonderful relaxing STRESS FREE cruise!!! :D

HI! I really hope your friend made it onboard! I literally just walked in the door from the Grand cruise right before hers, and we were in Venice just yesterday, and then left Rome this morning. (Well, it is 4am to me right now!). But the good news is, there are plentiful water taxis to get her to the pier, so hopefully she was able to fast track it there!!! We flew through Rome, so I dont know anything about the Venice airport, but found that transportation was easy to use, if not ridiculously expensive. However, ina case like this, it doesnt really matter, you just need to get there. And worse case scenario, there are so many port days, and not that far away, she could catch up easily.

Keep us posted!

Casey

Most tickets are e tickets now. I got a paper ticket this summer on Alaska air and my reservation was cancelled....go figure...we still can't figure out why. Except it was a code share. I have flown many times on a fff ticket and have never had a problem...never..

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted all you well-wishers to know that my friend DID make the cruise. I rec'd a brief email from her this morning. I don't have any details yet, but apparently she did not have a meet and greet, so my attempt to intervene must have gone unnoticed.

I should hear back from her again in a day or so and will share more details about the specifics of her experience getting to the ship. Thanks again to everyone for your good thoughts!

She said Istanbul was AMAZING!

Thank you for sharing the good news!! I had been checking in here WAY too often, just to find out, and am so pleased she made it. I know when we were on the Grand in June, that its departure from Venice had also been delayed due to too many people waiting to take one of the last shuttle boats back to the ship. (Well, it IS Venice, and people definitely want to maximize their time there!) Looks like there was indeed a slight departure delay on this cruise too, based on others monitoring the bridge cam, and may have worked in your friend's favor.

SO glad she made it okay!

Archived