shopping in Lisbon

janred

We will be on the Regatta Nov.17 transatlantic to Miami but are spending 3 days prior to embarkation in Lisbon. Curious to know what to shop for and where? Would like to do some Christmas shopping and need some input from anyone who has been to Lisbon. Also, any suggestions for restaurants that are typical, would be greatly appreciated. Can hardly wait!!! Thanks, Jan

We'll be there in mid-November and our last visit to Lisbon was six years ago, but if you like porcelain -- Vista Allegre is a good place. But be aware that if you buy a full service, as I did in 1986, it can take 5 years to arrive! They stopped responding to my status inquiries and so I figured I was never going to get my china, but we weren't out anything because they hadn't asked for a deposit. And then 5 years later I got a postcard saying, "Your order is ready, do you still want it?" YES !!

I have a favorite restaurant but it's hard to find ... you're best off writing to me for specific directions! (Again, it's been a while ... and it was written up by the NY Times a few years ago, never a good sign.) mkievman @ nyc . rr. com (just in case addresses are suppressed here.)

Okay, maybe someone else will be interested! It's Restaurant Bom Jardin at

Travessa Bom Jardin and Rua des Portes de Sant’Antão. These are little streets near Restauradores ...

Lisbon is one of our favorite cities. Ironicially, we are leaving the ship the day you board -- and we will be there for 3 days after ... As I said, write to me and I'll let you know the things that WE have loved ...

The Tile Museum ... the Gulbenkian ... the tram ride up to Sao Jorge. The sites out by Belem (now accessible by public transit, when we were there in the '80s you needed a car) ....

Have fun!

I should have said that in terms of shopping, tiles in general are good buys. These aren't just tiles but serving pieces, vases, trivets, cake plates, etc., made out of the same material. We haven't bought any such since we were there in the mid 80s but back then you really needed to bring your own bubble wrap if you wanted to buy such items. It may be different now.

There was a wonderful place in Lisbon where we bought a LOT but there was a large fire back between our visits and when we were there last (1999) we couldn't find the shop.

But there are many such stores ... if you get outside of Lisbon, you may find even better deals. (I remember this wonderful place opposite the cathedral in Alcobaca ... but we had a car then.)

I tried to post this yesterday, but it didn't take. If it ends up being a duplicate, Sorry.

Port

Look for miniatures of Port. Some are packaged in little boxes or little tins that can be reused later. We found several different styles of boxes, all with ports that are not available in our area.

Tiles

We purchased some lovely tiles for gifts. We ended up keeping two that we particularly liked.

Archived