Snorkeling for the "oldies"

azlew

I'm okay with a ladder (both ways if possible), as long as it's a safe ladder and some care is taken by the staff to ensure safety. We were on the shark & ray excursion once in BB and a fellow passenger slipped on the ladder climbing into the boat and broke his collar bone. This ended his trip before it really had begun, so take care, people!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I'm okay with a ladder (both ways if possible), as long as it's a safe ladder and some care is taken by the staff to ensure safety. We were on the shark & ray excursion once in BB and a fellow passenger slipped on the ladder climbing into the boat and broke his collar bone. This ended his trip before it really had begun, so take care, people!

I suppose anything can happen at anytime but being a member of the "oldies" I do have a concern about overall safety of getting into and out of the water on excursions. On these excursions are most of them manned by only one person as far as help goes?

Edited by azlew

I enjoy snorkeling but am a little nervous of being caught in a strong current so we bought a snorkeling vest which give me more confidence and I used it for a drift snorkel.

One of the best snorkeling places we went to and least strenuous, was at the IC Bora Bora. We bought day passes two years in a row and enjoyed great snorkeling seeing all kinds of fish around their coral garden. You can pretty much stand and view in much of it. I know it probably won't be what many might recommend as the most exciting snorkeling you could do, but for us, it was one of the best experiences. ;)

Pure Snorkeling was indeed a great outfit. Rannui, not so much.

For the most part, we did privately-arranged snorkel (or combo snorkel/sightseeing) trips. Most had multiple stops for snorkeling. Some spots were calm; several stops definitely had strong currents. Be sure to ask (they usually tell you). My husband isn't a strong swimmer, so there were several spots he (and several others) stayed in the boat.

The drift snorkel at Taha'a has a very strong current in places (especially getting out from the shore). Also, it's very shallow over the coral in places - be sure you're comfortable staying completely horizontal in the water.

The snorkeling in FP is incredible!

So if the excursions on the Paul Gauguin web site say experienced or in great condition or very experienced snorkelers only and/or potential of strong ocean currents then that should be taken as extreme caution on any of their excursions they offer? Again the reason we ask is that we had an experience in the ocean close to Isla Contoy (cloase to Isla Mujeres) that both of us got caught in a current and could not get out and she ended up getting burned by fire coral in quite a few places. The boat captain had to dive in and pull us out. Yes we both wore lifejackets.

Here is my take on the various options.

The PG arranged excursions are generally more $$ but more importantly they have larger groups (usually). Getting 20-50 snorkelers in and out of the water is very time consuming which usually means less options specific to locations to snorkel. The smaller boats that some private operators use are also generally faster which makes it easier to see more of the area and get to more snorkeling spots. The smaller boats can also access locations that the larger boats can't.

Pure Snorkeling in Bora Bora uses what I would describe as a speed or ski boat. 8 passengers max and they circumnavigate the entire lagoon with about 4 stops.

Regarding entering the water. It is tough to enter from a ladder with your fins on. If anything it can be dangerous. If you are not used to snorkeling putting you fins on once in the water can be tough. For this reason sliding off the side of the boat is the easier way to enter. When you do this you have your mask and snorkel in place, take a breath, hold your mask and snorkel snugly to your face with one hand and enter the water. Don't panic. Just wait about 5-10 seconds and you will surface. This is also the same way to enter by sitting on the side of the boat and rolling in backwards.

Although we both can swim, we always wear our snorkel vests. I ordered the blow up kind (similar to what you see on airplanes) online a few years ago. I would rather be able to enjoy the beauty and peacefulness of the experience, than worry about having to struggle to stay afloat. For us, better safe than sorry is the name of the game.

So if the excursions on the Paul Gauguin web site say experienced or in great condition or very experienced snorkelers only and/or potential of strong ocean currents then that should be taken as extreme caution on any of their excursions they offer? Again the reason we ask is that we had an experience in the ocean close to Isla Contoy (cloase to Isla Mujeres) that both of us got caught in a current and could not get out and she ended up getting burned by fire coral in quite a few places. The boat captain had to dive in and pull us out. Yes we both wore lifejackets.

Yes, I would take it as caution.

Inside the lagoons is usually pretty calm, as long as you're not near a break in the reef where the currents come through. I don't wear a vest because I have a built-in Mae West, and I prefer snorkeling without one (it's easier to swim, and dive). The DH always wears one. Some outfits will require it; the private ones are usually ok if you choose not to wear one. When we snorkeled over the manta rays, we did have to wear the supplied vests because they don't want people diving down and disturbing the (manta) rays.

Pictures: