Pre cruise in Southampton

sanmarco

We have stayed in several hotels over the years the night before our cruises and left our car.

Do any fellow cruisers have their preferred hotel?

Is it based on price,location,safety of their car?

Your views would be appreciated as I spent last night trawling the Internet and attempting and failing to book on line

Xx

I have used different strategies over the years including CPS parking without a hotel and other parking operators. In addition I have used, Travelodge en route with a reasonable length of driving on the final pre-cruise leg. Hotel and parking packages from Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue and Grand Harbour Hotel. The latter two give an opportunity to swim in their pools and walk into Southampton for shopping. Grand Harbour Hotel has a "Cruise Lounge" with alcoholic and non-alcoholic hospitality plus quayside transfer by the concierge staff irrespective of whether you are resident to assist with late boarding time allocations i.e. you may book on a "cruise lounge only" basis if you wish.

In short I am still doing a variety of hotel and parking combinations. Had a look at the Hilton at Ageas Bowl the other day with nicer rooms that overlook the cricket pitch, they were £74 but I am still investigating viability.

Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue and Grand Harbour Hotel are the most convenient Hotel and Park people in my opinion.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

We use Elizabeth House hotel. Approx £90 for large en suite room including home cooked breakfast. Car parking available at approx £5 per night free for the hotel stay night. £10 taxi ride to port.

Family run hotel and cars are looked after as the owner lives at the hotel.

Sue

We have used Holiday Inn (by the docks) once but weren't very impressed. It was "OK" but felt they cashed in on the cruise market as the room was very basic, although a good size. Breakfast was "OK" ! Parking was onsite, and no requirement to leave keys.staff a bit offhand we thought.

Last year we used the Mercure Dolphin twice and i have just booked it again for this year. It isnt perfect, the hotel is an old building and its a bit pot luck what room you get, but they have always been clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly, you are close to lots of restauarants and the WestQuay shopping centre. Parking is onsite, although you need to leave your car keys as they move your car to a cordoned off area. Very meticulous about checking the car, both before and after. Car park monitored by CCTV 24 hrs a day. Breakfast very good. Cost for 1 nights hotel B &B, 15 nights parking and two way taxi transfers to the ship is £179. For 12 nights cruise parking with CPS have just quoted me £135....

I booked via email, and then just phoned through card details when booking confirmed.

Edited by Mysticalmother

I second the Elizabeth House hotel - stayed there for 2 nights in Nov last year and left the car while we cruised

If you want to eat out in the evening, there's a nice pub up the road (Cowherds Inn) and also a restaurant across the road (Dock o the Bay).

Mossie

We use the 'Pig in the Wall' great location next to grand harbour, but prices higher as you would expect for a boutique hotel. Only do snacks for evening meal. Car park is secure with cameras and they charge £10 for the night of your stay. Good for a treat, and they do a free shuttle to The Pig in the New Forest but you'd need to book in advance, I've read mixed reviews of this restaurant but never been. Have stayed in Grand Harbour which is comfortable. Can also recommend my Mother-in-Law's if you like fruit-cake [emoji6]

We usually stay at Holiday Inn Herbert Walker avenue but for our next cruise we are using parking4cruises ....much cheaper than CPS...and staying at Premier Inn at Ower west of the city for around £50 so it works out alot cheaper than HI would have done.....it is a 35nighter so parking is not cheap!! £160 for parking for the 35 nights which we think is excellent.

Edited by jenny wren

Suppose it's a case of get what you pay for. We stayed at The Grand Harbour friends of ours stayed at a Holiday Inn,we were all going on the same cruise. When we woke on the morning of the cruise I sent a txt to our friends saying we could see the ship (Anthem of the Seas) from our bedroom window.They replied saying from their bedroom window they could see a bus and a discarded takeaway on the pavement :)