Question Concerning Staggered Check In

GranysT

I have to say, I am extremely disappointed with Carnival right now about this staggered check-in. We've been cruising with Carnival ONLY since 2008, I've always done my online check-in the week prior to the cruise, so it came as a shock to me when I suddenly had to "choose" a check-in time (only 2:30-3:00 was available). This is the first I've heard about the staggered check-in. Our travel agent did not have a clue about it; Carnival did not alert passengers to this when they rolled it out. Maybe I live in a shell or something, but even Expedia was not aware of this new process.

Number one, if I had been warned about it, I would have done our online check-in much earlier, but did not know there was any reason to. Carnival absolutely should have notified passengers. I don't spend much time on the cruise boards, so how was I supposed to know?

Number two, it's bull that they are doing this to make it a smoother boarding process. This does NOT make it smoother for us, but harder. We travel to Galveston the morning of embarkation (coming from Austin), and planning to arrive right at our check-in time is ridiculous. I'm not taking a chance of something going wrong on the road. Therefore, we will most definitely arrive earlier than our 2:30-3:00 check-in time. Now we have to pay extra to eat lunch that day, and then wait in the heat outside the terminal. This is utterly ridiculous. What in this scenario makes boarding easier? Sure, those who managed to get the first couple of check-in times may find the process easier. Honestly, in the 10 cruises we've taken from Galveston, we've never had to wait in line more than 30-45 minutes, and who cares? It's air-conditioned, and I know I get to eat lunch as soon as I get on board. Now, we miss lunch (our dinner time is early dinner) and will likely be waiting in the heat outside the terminal. We totally miss the relaxation of the first day of the cruise, which we paid for!

I really believe Carnival is doing this so they can make more money with the FTTF program. But why in the world should I pay an additional $60 for a cruise day I've already paid for???? Totally not right. I’m sorry, but I really needed to vent.

It makes it MUCH easier for the security and check in personnel that the entire herd isn't showing up at 10 am. Have a big breakfast and maybe actually skip lunch :eek:....this only "ruins" your relaxing day if you let it. Let me guess, are you one of those "I HAVE TO BE ON THE SHIP FIRST" people? Chill out, the buffet isn't going anywhere and you will still be able to get your Drink of the Day in the gawdy cup that they sell. Bonus, boarding as late as you are, your room will be ready, so that's a good thing!!!! :D

Edited by First and Ten

I don't understand why diamond, platinum, and FTTF have to pick a time? They will likely pick the earliest time available even though they don't really need it and then it won't be available for someone who does need it. Am I missing something?

Platinum and diamond don't have to choose a check-in time.

Not sure about FTTF.

Edited by mizLORInj

BUT, if CCL actually holds to a 12:30PM start for boarding, how does staggered check-in help individuals that choose a 10AM check-in?

It helps those that choose a 10AM check-in because they will get a lower zone number for boarding. If they show up at 10 to check in, chances are they'll get a low boarding zone number, whereas someone who shows up at 11:30 will get a higher boarding number. This means the 10AM check-in will board sooner than then 11:30AM check-in.

I have to say, I am extremely disappointed with Carnival right now about this staggered check-in. We've been cruising with Carnival ONLY since 2008, I've always done my online check-in the week prior to the cruise, so it came as a shock to me when I suddenly had to "choose" a check-in time (only 2:30-3:00 was available). This is the first I've heard about the staggered check-in. Our travel agent did not have a clue about it; Carnival did not alert passengers to this when they rolled it out. Maybe I live in a shell or something, but even Expedia was not aware of this new process.

Number one, if I had been warned about it, I would have done our online check-in much earlier, but did not know there was any reason to. Carnival absolutely should have notified passengers. I don't spend much time on the cruise boards, so how was I supposed to know?

Number two, it's bull that they are doing this to make it a smoother boarding process. This does NOT make it smoother for us, but harder. We travel to Galveston the morning of embarkation (coming from Austin), and planning to arrive right at our check-in time is ridiculous. I'm not taking a chance of something going wrong on the road. Therefore, we will most definitely arrive earlier than our 2:30-3:00 check-in time. Now we have to pay extra to eat lunch that day, and then wait in the heat outside the terminal. This is utterly ridiculous. What in this scenario makes boarding easier? Sure, those who managed to get the first couple of check-in times may find the process easier. Honestly, in the 10 cruises we've taken from Galveston, we've never had to wait in line more than 30-45 minutes, and who cares? It's air-conditioned, and I know I get to eat lunch as soon as I get on board. Now, we miss lunch (our dinner time is early dinner) and will likely be waiting in the heat outside the terminal. We totally miss the relaxation of the first day of the cruise, which we paid for!

I really believe Carnival is doing this so they can make more money with the FTTF program. But why in the world should I pay an additional $60 for a cruise day I've already paid for???? Totally not right. I’m sorry, but I really needed to vent.

So you use your first post in CC to vent about a "problem." If you had been on before you would have known about the staggered boarding well in advance. It seems like you should find a new travel agent if they did not know about it, it is not a secret. It is even on Carnivals website. It does make checking in and boarding much easier for all. Sorry you feel like you will miss lunch, bring a snack. Maybe it is time to explore another cruise line that caters to individuals, rather than a cruise line that tries to make it easier for all guests to board the ship.

Dertona I agree with you 1000%. Most of our travel is also out of Galveston. We took a cruise in May and i really hated the new system. Previously we would get to

Port go right to check in and get right on boat. This time we waited hours.

First our time was 10-10:30. We got there at 10am and waiting in a line outside in the humid heat of over 100 degrees until after 10:30. Then we were let into and very empty air conditioned building. Why not let the line wait inside?

They we went to security, check in and then waited 2 mores hours to get on to the boat.

First time i have ever waited.

And I would not buy FTTF because they got on maybe 20 minutes before us.

I complained to Carnival knowing they don't care. The system was not broken, why change it. The waiting outside really made me mad because there was plenty of space inside before security area.

We are going to New Orleans soon, hope it's better.

Because not everyone will get the early check-ins. Even if everyone did on-line check-in the day they book their cruise, slots will fill up and become unavailable. So not everyone gets to 'choose' when they want to board. And I see it as different than boarding an airplane because I'm paying for the trip from here to there. On a cruise, I've paid for Day 1 and want to experience as much of day 1 as I can on the ship.

Because not everyone will get the early check-ins. Even if everyone did on-line check-in the day they book their cruise, slots will fill up and become unavailable. So not everyone gets to 'choose' when they want to board. And I see it as different than boarding an airplane because I'm paying for the trip from here to there. On a cruise, I've paid for Day 1 and want to experience as much of day 1 as I can on the ship.

And you get to experience Day 1. You seem to be of the mindset of "I want what I want so I should get what I want because I want it"

Now you may say harsh, I say its direct when my response to that is.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you aren't "special"

Carnival is not making a promise anywhere on their contract that you will be on the ship by a certain time. Furthermore, you can get an early checkin if you are one of the people that when you go online, you pick your checkin time, and its available. You didn't do that....that is a "YOU" problem, not a Carnival problem. If getting on first is so important to you, spring for the $60 and get FTTF

Edited by First and Ten

Fire your travel agent. This is not new, nor an experiment in Galveston.

Do this; come down, have lunch at Mosquito Cafe and then go to the terminal. Don't like that place, then try the food at Olympia Grill. You get free parking for 3 hours and can see the ship you are about to board.

In other words "lighten up Francis."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure about FTTF.

Actually, Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, and those who purchase Carnival transfer from the airport do have to choose a check-in time. We are allowed to come to the port and check in at any time, regardless of the block chosen.

Wow, some of you guys are really harsh. Last time I visit this forum. Sorry I don't spend my time on forums.

I generally find that people respond with the same tone as the post they are responding to. What did you expect when the post blamed the cruise line for something your TA should have alerted you to.

Dertona I agree with you 1000%. Most of our travel is also out of Galveston. We took a cruise in May and i really hated the new system. Previously we would get to

First our time was 10-10:30. We got there at 10am and waiting in a line outside in the humid heat of over 100 degrees until after 10:30. Then we were let into and very empty air conditioned building. Why not let the line wait inside?

They we went to security, check in and then waited 2 mores hours to get on to the boat.

I complained to Carnival knowing they don't care. The system was not broken, why change it. The waiting outside really made me mad because there was plenty of space inside before security area.

I'm doing some math here and you missed the ship. Oh, and it didn't reach 100 on the island until last week.

Edited by BallFour4

Actually, Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, and those who purchase Carnival transfer from the airport do have to choose a check-in time. We are allowed to come to the port and check in at any time, regardless of the block chosen.

Correct for $500 Alex. We've done it twice in the past few days. I called Carnival when this was rolled out and was told it was only a requirement for their system. We walked up to the priority entrance and went right in.

Edited by BallFour4

You waited in the heat for 30 mins and complained to Carnival because it was hot in the Summer in Tx :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Not sure about FTTF.

From Carnival:

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard.

From Carnival:

Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard.

Here is our experience. We are platinum. Checked in online for our September cruise and I printed the documents earlier this week. At no time were we asked to select a check-in time and no "check-in" time shows on our docs.

Maybe those who purchase the transfers and are Platinum have to select a time? If so, Carnival should be more clear. We are not using Carnival's transfers.

So while some people may continue to say that Platinum has to select a check-in time, this has not been our experience to date.

Edited by mizLORInj

Here is our experience. We are platinum. Checked in online for our September cruise and I printed the documents earlier this week. At no time were we asked to select a check-in time and no "check-in" time shows on our docs.

Maybe those who purchase the transfers and are Platinum have to select a time? If so, Carnival should be more clear. We are not using Carnival's transfers.

So while some people may continue to say that Platinum has to select a check-in time, this has not been our experience to date.

Depends on your port of departure. If the port has not adopted the new system then you don't need to select. We too are platinum and drive to Galveston, we are required to select a time.

Edited by BallFour4

Out of NYC? Does not have staggered check in.

"Staggered Check-In has been rolled out to all vessels sailing from Baltimore, Barcelona, Charleston, Galveston, Honolulu, Miami*, New Orleans and Norfolk."

So as Platinum, if you choose to not select a check in at these ports Carnival will assign one to you.

Edited by Bookbug53

• 3 months later...
Anyone know how far in advance of a sailing does the checkin options become available on the online checkin site?

I think it's available as soon as you book (ir very shortly thereafter). Not cruising until May 2017 but have already selected my check-in time.

Edited by cucruizin