Gala Night - sample outfit

PhDUnderTheSea

Those who, while meeting the dress code requirements, nevertheless prefer a more casual outfit rarely (if ever) criticize others for being "over dressed".

So why isn't the vice versa? Why do those who prefer more formal attire feel the need to criticize those who don't? Not all of them, certainly, but a substantial number it would appear.

I guess you glossed over the many insults on this board. I've heard stuffed sausage, pretentious etc.

Those who, while meeting the dress code requirements, nevertheless prefer a more casual outfit rarely (if ever) criticize others for being "over dressed".

So why isn't the vice versa? Why do those who prefer more formal attire feel the need to criticize those who don't? Not all of them, certainly, but a substantial number it would appear.

It sometimes is vice versa..DH, in his TUX on one Formal night & I were in an elevator, when a group of casually dressed people who were partying boarded..

One of the men made a snide remark to DH about being in a Tux & asked if he were part of the crew.. We were floored but didn't have a good answer to his remark..

Remember all the horror when business suits were deemed acceptable on formal nights?

In time they became acceptable to all and in fact converted some tux wearers -- and all was right in the world.

Now we have gala night and a new definition of what is acceptable

I would guess that a very large percentage of passengers, those not on cruise critic, have no idea that things have changed. (like a friend who just returned from a Westerdam cruise and was upset no one told him he could wear a suit rather than a tux-- didn't read any of the docs either)

Perhaps it is to early in this transition phase to make comparisons as to how people are dressing ???

And why compare anyway?

Edited by earljr

Remember all the horror when business suits were deemed acceptable on formal nights?

In time they became acceptable to all and in fact converted some tux wearers -- and all was right in the world.

I would guess that a very large percentage of passengers, those not on cruise critic, have no idea that things have changed. (like a friend who just returned from a Westerdam cruise and was upset no one told him he could wear a suit rather than a tux-- didn't read any of the docs either)

Perhaps it is to early in this transition phase to make comparisons as to how people are dressing ???

And why compare anyway?

Some people evidently have a need to get upset about something. Anything.

Maybe I don't understand the discussion but in Europa the term GALA means very formal.

Dress suite at least for men and gowns for women.And if your host (in this case HAL) invite you for dinner in gala or formal you do not offend him by wearing casual.

Maybe old-fashioned but these are the etiquette

Maybe I don't understand the discussion but in Europa the term GALA means very formal.

Dress suite at least for men and gowns for women.And if your host (in this case HAL) invite you for dinner in gala or formal you do not offend him by wearing casual.

In this case HAL changed he name from Formal to Gala and lowered the requirements for dress code. So....regardless if someone personally agrees or not, as long as they are within the stated required codes, there is nothing offensive about being more causal.

That's what GALA means in many US cities, too. When I hear "gala" I think super-fancey formal, not formal optional.

It's a poor choice of terms, but maybe HAL's marketing people have never heard of a true gala event. "Gala" is HAL's way of moving away from formal nights while pretending they aren't doing that.

I'm puzzled about the dress code for Gala nights as well! Originally, I was going to take a dinner jacket but I'm now wondering if that's too formal and whether a smart suit would do. Any advice?

IMO a dinner jacket would not be too formal, although under the new HAL guidelines, a smart suit would be acceptable as well. My advice is to dress according to what will make you feel most comfortable and not worry about how others might view your attire.

Okay, I'm confused now by some of these terms. I admit I'm not very suit knowledgeable. But what is the difference between a dress suit, business suit and a smart suit? And where does a dinner jacket fall into all of this mess?

All I know is I went with my husband to the shop and told them I wanted it to be appropriate for a nice dinner with me in a formal and my funeral. They did the rest.

Edited by sherilyn70

And why compare anyway?

Was it last summer that HAL made this change?

If so, then it's likely that many, if not most, aren't aware of the change until they actually board the ship.

I wouldn't expect to see a significant impact from this change until next year, perhaps next fall at the earliest.

Was it last summer that HAL made this change?

If so, then it's likely that many, if not most, aren't aware of the change until they actually board the ship.

I wouldn't expect to see a significant impact from this change until next year, perhaps next fall at the earliest.

Yes, I want to say it was around July or August.. I know it was at least a month or so before my October cruise.

Ok, here's a cute story for some levity from our July Maasdam cruise.

We were travelling with my best friend, her husband and 9 year old son. Going to dinner in the MDR was an event every night and they always arrived last because he was 'getting ready'. No picking out clothes for that kid and the hair had to be just right.

So we tell him it's gala night ( no we didn't read him the suggested rules) and they arrive 5 minutes late per usual. Well it was worth the wait.

Dress pants, polished dress shoes, dress shirt, tie and hair slicked back a la Leonardo DiCaprio from the Titanic.

I felt like the unsinkabe Molly Brown going into the MDR with him. :) I wish I had a pic.

this was his smart casual choice:

Canada%20New%20England%20cruise%20July%202015%20071_zps6owzwc20.jpg

Edited by sammygoose
add

Okay, I'm confused now by some of these terms. I admit I'm not very suit knowledgeable. But what is the difference between a dress suit, business suit and a smart suit? And where does a dinner jacket fall into all of this mess?

Dinner jacket is the jacket from a tuxedo, usually white or black. A business suit is your typical two piece or three piece suit. A smart suit is usually rechargeable (USB or Qi Wireless) and runs apps. A dress suit is a jacket and skirt... Or is that suit dress?

Dinner jacket is the jacket from a tuxedo, usually white or black. A business suit is your typical two piece or three piece suit. A smart suit is usually rechargeable (USB or Qi Wireless) and runs apps. A dress suit is a jacket and skirt... Or is that suit dress?

What about a leisure suit? Thise were the bestest :D;):p. My dad had a brown one, a green one and a powder blue.

Edited by cruz chic

I think so. Just trying to remember. They were lovely ;):D and made of 100 % polyester iirc.

I bet it did and probably a white belt. I think if someone showed up on Gala night in one of those I'd give them the Wiser's Clap.

Secretly I think POA is on the Wiser's panel..... ;)

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57/Jericho9mm/clap.gif

I bet it did and probably a white belt. I think if someone showed up on Gala night in one of those I'd give them the Wiser's Clap.

Secretly I think POA is on the Wiser's panel..... ;)

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57/Jericho9mm/clap.gif

Can you give me a little help? I don't recognize the meme.

Can you give me a little help? I don't recognize the meme.

It's commercials in Canada for Wiser's whiskey. Uncompromising class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG20SkmnpFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVy5VRnikJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

:)

Well I guess in retrospect you wouldn't clap but you might gives points for artistic interpretation for the Leisure suit.

Edited by sammygoose
add