Anthem - Update on Dining from the January 3, 2016 Cruise

emileg

Bill, thanks for your additional input on the Anthem dining venues. On our last sea day, I had a burger at Michael's Pub. It was cooked to order, and was thick and juicy. Krys had the fish and chips, which was as good as many we have had on land. Michael's looks rather genuine and had a good, but modestly sized, selection of beer.

We also had dinner at the Chef's Table, which is a private room inside of Chops. The waiter-presenter told us that eight people had reservations for this room that holds 16. The dinner was supposed to begin at 6:30. We, along with a couple from Siberia, waited politely for 15 minutes for the other four to show up. The presenter decided to call the missing diners, who apparently changed their minds. I guess these guests considered it proper manners not to cancel their reservations and allow others to wait for them. It was a big turn off.

The food offerings at the Chef's Table were so-so: fancily prepared and served, but not particularly flavorful, bland like the food on the rest of the ship. There was a beef dish that was as tender as meat from Argentina. However, we never got to meet the Chef of Chef's Table.

There was a wine pairing with each course. We were served five white wines and one red: an excellent Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon. The well-meaning waiter kept refilling the glasses of the earlier wines. Unfortunately, having too much to drink earlier in the meal takes away from the enjoyment of fine wines served later. I think six glasses of wine is more than sufficient.

The meal at the Chef's Table was $85 per person and I don't think it was worth it on top of what is included in the cruise. I would like to hear from others who also dined at the Chef's Table for their experiences.

Emil,

It was a pleasure to meet both of you.

We also attended Chefs Table and agree with you 110%, it was just ok. My DH and I walked away disapointed. I guess my expectations were too high:rolleyes:

We did have a nice trip overall, but not as great as I expected.

Emil,

It was a pleasure to meet both of you.

We also attended Chefs Table and agree with you 110%, it was just ok. My DH and I walked away disapointed. I guess my expectations were too high:rolleyes:

We did have a nice trip overall, but not as great as I expected.

Same here.

The MDR used for breakfast is the American Icon. Breakfast, and only breakfast, service was absolutely terrible. We were placed at table for eight with other very nice people. However, if someone asked for a coffee refill, the waiter would refill that person' cup, but not check to see if anyone else needed a refill. The same would happen with bread and rolls. Orders placed at the same time would come out several minutes apart. In fact, we waited about a half hour for our breakfast order to appear. We were about to leave to go to Windjammer, when one of us got our order.

Never, ever accept a "shared table" at breakfast. We dined in the American Icon for breakfast every morning. Service and food was great except for the 1 time we decided to be seated at a shared table.

Never, ever accept a "shared table" at breakfast. We dined in the American Icon for breakfast every morning. Service and food was great except for the 1 time we decided to be seated at a shared table.

Lesson learned. Thank you. There was a long line for tables for two. If we were willing to share, they said we could go right in. I imagine if we had waited and were attended to promptly, the total time might have been less.

I forgot about Michael's for a burger. But it's worth mentioning that it's not free there, either (what was it, $10?). For a free burger, you need to go to Windjammer, where they're precooked and in a tray, or American Icon for lunch, where I believe they were not cooked to order, either.

The American Icon Grill had a very good and tasty Wisconsin Cheese burger with fries platter on its lunch menu that was at no charge.

The American Icon Grill had a very good and tasty Wisconsin Cheese burger with fries platter on its lunch menu that was at no charge.

Yes, but not likely to be freshly cooked. We never tried it but someone who sat next to us at lunch one day had it and it looked dried out. My point was that if you want something freshly cooked, your option is JR, while on other ships the pool grill at the same location was free.

I have to agree about AI for breakfast in the morning. We had some decent service but we had a morning when mom and I got up and walked out since no one bothered to come over to the table after sitting there with menus, and we were at a 2 top.

We did Silk twice (had planned on cancelling the second but my younger son enjoyed it so we went back). Strangely enough, the first night the Vietnamese tacos came with a flour tortilla. Certainly not the bun that I expected. The second time, they came out looking like I expected. Dishes looked different between visits, so it definitely looked like they were tweaking the menu and preparation throughout the cruise.

We were generally uninspired about the dynamic dining. My older son felt that the move from restaurant to restaurant was not as enjoyable, and he didn't feel that any restaurant (other than Silk) had a cohesive theme to their food. Each restaurant had lamb shanks, there just didn't seem to be a "signature" cuisine for each restaurant.

I really did not enjoy the buffet this time; the wait for the fresh pasta station was always long, the breakfast eggs line was long, the salad ingredients were awful. Most of the dishes were not visually appealing to me.

We loved our cabin (balcony on deck 11), loved all of the covered areas for sitting (spent a lot of time sitting in the cushioned seats at the indoor pool...just not as humid as the solarium), but felt that the offerings at Café Promenade were significantly reduced almost as if they were pushing people to the extra fee pastry shop across the way. Had a great bartender at the Schooner Bar where I used my D coupons most evenings.

Older son's main comment was if they could figure out a way to do an indoor pool, why couldn't they come up with a way to put some sort of cover over the flowrider so that you could use it no matter the weather. Unfortunately, I had no answer for that.

We sailed Christmas week (12/19-12/27).

Yes, but not likely to be freshly cooked. We never tried it but someone who sat next to us at lunch one day had it and it looked dried out. My point was that if you want something freshly cooked, your option is JR, while on other ships the pool grill at the same location was free.

Well our Wisconsin cheese burger was very tasty and not dried out. In fact it was one of the best burgers I've ever had and it didn't cost us anything.

It may not have been cooked right then but that's what one gets with eating, other than for some breakfast items, in the MDR.

My only regret was we had this near the end of the cruise and we never went back to have another. It was much better than any burger I've had from any RCI or any other cruiseline included burger grills.

Edited by robtulipe

Well our Wisconsin cheese burger was very tasty and not dried out. In fact it was one of the best burgers I've ever had and it didn't cost us anything.

It may not have been cooked right then but that's what one gets with eating, other than for some breakfast items, in the MDR.

It was the case in the WJ as well. They just had trays of burgers to take from. And the formerly free pool grill is now JR.

It was the case in the WJ as well. They just had trays of burgers to take from. And the formerly free pool grill is now JR.

The beef patties for the burgers in the WJ were no way comparable to the one in the Wisconsin Cheese burger. These in the Am. Icon were at least twice as thick and a minimum of double the weigh and the Swiss style cheese appeared to be melted on while grilling, not added afterwards as one does with the process cheese slices in the WJ. Also the buns was larger and softer.

Like I said the comparison wasn't even remotely close between the two and I did eat both.

Do you know if they still offer the strip steak on the classic menu at all restaurants. Someone posted menus fro. The Royal app but it only said chicken, salmon, pasta and a veggie dish. This was always a standby for my mom and son incase. The like simple foods

Do you know if they still offer the strip steak on the classic menu at all restaurants. Someone posted menus fro. The Royal app but it only said chicken, salmon, pasta and a veggie dish. This was always a standby for my mom and son incase. The like simple foods

I took pictures of some of the menus before I was able to capture them from the app, and I can confirm that there is no steak in the Classics section. Do I have to post them so you can believe me?

BTW I wasn't going to post a link here, but for those who want to see the menus that I uploaded, you can find it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2305042

• 2 weeks later...
We board in 5 days and we couldn't be happier with your review! After months of planning and reading so many bad food reviews, we are delighted to read a refreshing, objective review! Thank you so much!

Always a pleasure. Thank you for the compliment. Have a wonderful cruise. The Anthem is a great ship. In spite of its problems, there are so many pluses to assure a great time.

Older son's main comment was if they could figure out a way to do an indoor pool, why couldn't they come up with a way to put some sort of cover over the flowrider so that you could use it no matter the weather. Unfortunately, I had no answer for that.

I know that I'm significantly older than your son, but here is my secret. I learned to take a 3/4 wetsuit (for warmer water) on ships with FlowRiders (especially any leaving from NY/NJ, but also the Bahamas). I literally have an entire wave machine to myself; except for some brave one that pop in now and then. Compare that to 'great weather, and you stand in line and take short wave time.