Choose a room for me ???

kbset

That depends on if you will be disappointed with the location of the room you get. If you know you won't be happy on a low level or under/near a noisy venue then I wouldn't take a chance. If you will be happy no matter where your cabin is then its a good deal and you might end up with a great cabin.

It's not a risk my family is willing to take but I have read on here of others being very satisfied.

I have done a guarantee booking twice. Both times it worked out great.

The first was a last minute booking on the Fascination. We booked an inside guarantee and got on ocean view on the Riviera Deck.

The second time was last year on the Splendor. DD and I originally booked an OV but it was a seven night and decided about 3 weeks prior to upgrade to a balcony. We ended getting an awesome room on the Lido deck.

However I have heard horror stories on these boards about location and guarantee bookings.

If you are very particular about where you must be, best not chance it.

I've done a guarantee two times. The first time I was upgraded inside to a balcony. The second instance I was not very happy with the cabin. That was many cruises ago and I would never consider a guarantee again unless of course if it's free and that case I would stay in a towel closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cruiserNC

Has anyone ever selected the "choose a room for me" option when booking? Is it worth it?

What we did was this. We were doing a guaranteed suite. We already knew where all of the suites were on the Carnival Miracle, so it didn't matter to us where our suite would be. At first, we thought we would be assigned mid-ship and that was okay with us. As it turned out, we were assigned an Ocean suite, AFT. It was great.

I doubt we would let Carnival pick our cabin if it was a balcony, OV or inside cabin, because we might wind up underneath a noisy area of the ship. Although, if it was a big slash in price, that might be the deciding factor.

I did a gty two times - once when we were on a very tight budget, doing an inside gty meant we could afford the cruise. We did fine with our inside room, but decided we would not do insides again. Another time we did a gty balcony and were happy with the one we were assigned (We were booking an OV and the gty balcony was just a tiny bit more.

The key to being happy with your gty is to be sure that you would be happy with any cabin at your classification or better and expect to get exactly what you booked (of course you can be very happy if you get anything better). If you go in expecting an upgrade, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, but if you understand the possible outcomes, it could save you a good deal of money.

I personally hate guaranteed cabins and prefer to pick my own. The few extra dollars you pay to pick your location is worth it IMO. I friend of mine booked two guaranteed inside cabins for our Sensation cruise next week and we got Cabins V8 and V12 on the Verandah deck with a trundle bed for the 3rd person. Not a bad selection at all, but I prefer to be mid-ship and closer to the atrium and to have a REAL bed for the 3rd person. The one bright side is that I sail on the Sunshine immediately following this cruise and that cabin I did pick :)

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I have booked a guarantee room and they gave me my room assignment about 4 weeks before we cruised got a 6th floor interior.

For me it depends on who I'm cruising with on what type of room I get. I have stayed in interior, ocean view, and balcony. If it is just me and my wife we don't care where our room is as we don't spend a lot of time in there. When we bring our kids and in laws we prefer balcony because they are bigger and we can have our balconies connected.

If you are a planner and map out your vacation I recommend picking a room.

We did it once. We were booking an inside room and really didn't care where we were since it was inside. We ended up on deck 8 aft on Breeze which was perfect for us as we prefer aft. I'd do it again if we ever booked another inside. Otherwise I prefer to pick my room.