Martinique info - January 2016

meadowlander

Just returned from this island and knowing how difficult it was researching trying to find info before the cruise, I am providing some observations from the day spent there.

There are 2 cruise ports. The one used by Royal Caribbean on January 2016 was the Pointe Simon cruise port. It is directly in front of the Simon Hotel and a tall glass building which is at least 15 stories.

The pier from the ship to the dock is painted green and blue. For those with walking issues, note that at the white security tent immediately before entering the dock there are pink pavers which have a curved "wave" effect.

The pink pavers, unlike the white ones used on either side of the pink ones, are not flat! The white ones are and if unsteady on your feet...use the white pavers not the pink ones.

On the dock were about 13 portable vendor tents. Of the ones I inquired, they all said they would accept US $, credit cards and Euros.

If you walk in front of these vendor tents with the water immediately on your right, this walkway will lead directly to the ferry boats which go to the nearby beaches.

There is a wooden carousel and 3 permanent buildings (more vendors/crafts),

the first painted purple, the second orange and the third also purple directly by the ferry terminal. 3 piers at the ferry terminal, the first seemed not to be in use, the middle pier was the one with the timetable sign and the ferries to the beaches. The sign/timetable was partially unreadable due to being blown

from its attachment.

I had looked into getting Euros prior to arriving on this island but I ended up waiting , acquiring them on Martinique. It was cheaper on the island due to the fees my banks were charging me. The exchange place I used was Change Caribe, which was easier to find than I thought it would be.

If you stay on the walk from the cruise pier, again staying in front of the temporary white vendor tents, pass the ferry piers mentioned above, just stay on the walkway to the end. While on this walkway, look to your left and you will see a 2 story Mc Donalds. Change Caribe is on the same street as Mc D's...but at the other end.

By staying on the walkway, which leads to Fort St. Louis and La Savane ( a large park), to the end and then go left, Change Caribe will be in sight..it is the second to last building on the street.

One unusual aspect of Martinique was the appearance of turnstiles. To exit the walkway, there were turnstiles. To enter La .Savane, there were turnstiles.

Must be a French thing. : )

The public library (which has FREE WIFI) is located on the street that runs parallel with La Savane. No turnstile to enter the library though.

Outside the library I was approached by someone who I though was asking for money. Instead, she was there to help visitors!!! She wore a red vest and a red cap and spoke English. I know a little French but her speaking English was very helpful.

La Savane is a large passive grass park with a few permanent structures that had places to eat with outdoor seating and tables. A tourist info booth also was located inside the park. There were also benches to sit. A band shell too and early Saturday afternoon, there were musicians on the stage.

Street signs were not on poles but attached to the wall of the last/first building of each intersection.

On Saturdays all stores in downtown close at 2 pm. Downtown is an easy walk from the ship. Streets are very narrow as are the sidewalks.

Before our ship departed a group of about 20-30 colorfully dressed musicians marched from the dock to the ship and played about 15-20 minutes, it was a Saturday...I suspect this does not happen on week days.

Thank you. That was very helpful. Out of the 8 ports we will be visiting this is the one I am having the most difficulty deciding what to do.

What did you do once you got off the ship?

Was the town walkable? Shopping ok?

Thanks!

We will be there in two weeks.

Laurie

Thank you. That was very helpful. Out of the 8 ports we will be visiting this is the one I am having the most difficulty deciding what to do.

What did you do once you got off the ship?

Was the town walkable? Shopping ok?

Thanks!

We will be there in two weeks.

Laurie

You are welcome.

I took 3 years of French in high school (40 years ago) but with the little that I did recall, it was still quite intimidating. Asking in French if they spoke English benefitted me I believe.

The first thing I did was get Euros. Dollars are accepted on the ferries to the beaches. I took the ferry to the beach, it was an over cast day and eventually did rain while at the beach. I attempted to walk to another beach but with more rain and not knowing where I was going, I walked back and went to the ferry dock to return to the main island.

I could read the ferry sign and I had just missed the scheduled ferry by 15-20 minutes...though I never saw a ferry approaching where I was. The next ferry was at 1 pm, a 50 minute wait. At 12:15 the ferry showed, the 11:50 am ferry!

I walked downtown, very doable from the cruise ship pier. I only wanted to use the euros I had left, bought a t shirt, I did not go into any other store.

More rain, so I went to the library to use their free internet and contact home.

It was a Saturday, all stores closed at 2 pm!

You are welcome.

I took 3 years of French in high school (40 years ago) but with the little that I did recall, it was still quite intimidating. Asking in French if they spoke English benefitted me I believe.

The first thing I did was get Euros. Dollars are accepted on the ferries to the beaches. I took the ferry to the beach, it was an over cast day and eventually did rain while at the beach. I attempted to walk to another beach but with more rain and not knowing where I was going, I walked back and went to the ferry dock to return to the main island.

I could read the ferry sign and I had just missed the scheduled ferry by 15-20 minutes...though I never saw a ferry approaching where I was. The next ferry was at 1 pm, a 50 minute wait. At 12:15 the ferry showed, the 11:50 am ferry!

I walked downtown, very doable from the cruise ship pier. I only wanted to use the euros I had left, bought a t shirt, I did not go into any other store.

More rain, so I went to the library to use their free internet and contact home.

It was a Saturday, all stores closed at 2 pm!

Thank you for this information, we are going next week on NCL and I was wondering what beach you went to and if there we bathrooms, chairs and umbrellas available. How much was the ferry and would we be able to read the times, we only know English. Thanks,

Thank you for this information, we are going next week on NCL and I was wondering what beach you went to and if there we bathrooms, chairs and umbrellas available. How much was the ferry and would we be able to read the times, we only know English. Thanks,

Anise Mitan was the beach I went to. Once you exit the ferry over, go to your left for all activities. There was one, maybe two, areas that had umbrellas and chairs.

There were also a few places to eat. I did not see any public restrooms. The beach itself while lengthy was narrow.

The ferry cost is $7 round trip, dollars accepted. Pay on the ferry and a return ticket will be given.

The ferry sign in French is for Monday -Friday Saturday and Sunday

Spelling most likely incorrect but Samedi is Saturday Dimanche is Sunday

Lundi-Vendredi is Mon-Fri

Times are in 24 hour mode thus 2pm is 14:00

The return ferry did not run as scheduled the Saturday I was there.

The timetable sign at the Fort -de-Frances dock was partially unreadable due to being bent but there was an individual there giving assistance. He may have been a representative or just helpful as he asked for donations for the musicians playing.