Land/Cruise tour D1L Hal

I am Lulu

What's included?

I just booked Alaska Land/Cruise tour D1L with HAL thru Costco Travel. I'm not sure about what is included, and what's not. We are doing the Land portion first. Under "Day 1" Fairbanks, it says "Arrive at your downtown hotel." For those who have taken this Land/cruise, Is that first hotel in Fairbanks included in the land tour, or do I need to book and pay for it? I'm assuming that none of the meals are included, unless it is on an excursion that states "lunch included". What do you do for meals once you are at Denali Park?

Last question; Where can I find more information about the Land portion of my trip?

What's included?

I just booked Alaska Land/Cruise tour D1L with HAL thru Costco Travel. I'm not sure about what is included, and what's not. We are doing the Land portion first. Under "Day 1" Fairbanks, it says "Arrive at your downtown hotel." For those who have taken this Land/cruise, Is that first hotel in Fairbanks included in the land tour, or do I need to book and pay for it? I'm assuming that none of the meals are included, unless it is on an excursion that states "lunch included". What do you do for meals once you are at Denali Park?

Last question; Where can I find more information about the Land portion of my trip?

Post the itinerary. I can enlighten you.

Meals are on your own, unless specifically mentioned. I suggest budgeting 50% more than you would at home. Your first night hotel is included. On your Denali tour, you do get a box snack/lunch. You may want to consider packing a few more items on your own.

Thanks for any help you can give me Budget Queen. Am I doing something wrong....I don't know why I can't find out anything about the Land tour. Will Hal contact me with the details at some point?

Cruise Tour Highlights

Day 1 Fairbanks

Arrive at your downtown hotel.

Day 2 Fairbanks/Denali

After a step back in time aboard the sternwheeler Riverboat Discovery (lunch included), it's off to Denali for a leisurely three-night stay at this magnificent national treasure.

Day 3 Denali

Venture deep into Denali on the Tundra Wilderness Tour (snack included), the best way to see wildlife and hopefully Mt. McKinley too.

Day 4 Denali

Explore on your own or take optional excursions with an entire free day in Denali.

Day 5 Denali/Anchorage

This morning, board the luxurious domed rail cars of the McKinley Explorer bound for Anchorage.

Day 6 Anchorage/Seward

Enjoy a scenic rail journey along Turnagain Arm aboard the cruisetrain en route to Seward before embarking your ship.

Day 6 - 13 Cruise

Thanks for any help you can give me Budget Queen. Am I doing something wrong....I don't know why I can't find out anything about the Land tour. Will Hal contact me with the details at some point?

Cruise Tour Highlights

Day 1 Fairbanks

Day 2 Fairbanks/Denali

After a step back in time aboard the sternwheeler Riverboat Discovery (lunch included), it's off to Denali for a leisurely three-night stay at this magnificent national treasure.

Day 3 Denali

Venture deep into Denali on the Tundra Wilderness Tour (snack included), the best way to see wildlife and hopefully Mt. McKinley too.

Day 4 Denali

Explore on your own or take optional excursions with an entire free day in Denali.

Day 5 Denali/Anchorage

This morning, board the luxurious domed rail cars of the McKinley Explorer bound for Anchorage.

Day 6 Anchorage/Seward

Enjoy a scenic rail journey along Turnagain Arm aboard the cruisetrain en route to Seward before embarking your ship.

Day 6 - 13 Cruise

Not BQ, but this is about as detailed information as you will get until you meet up with your tour director in Fairbanks. You do need to go to HAL website and log-in to your account for boarding docs, luggage tags, etc. (HAL used to mail all this to you, but with computers that is now a thing of the past). They don't give times as there could be a variety of travel delays. Everything is approximate (morning, afternoon, evening) not 9:00 am, 1:00 pm or 6:00 pm.

Once you meet up with your tour in Fairbanks, you will be given an itinerary for each day (we got ours each morning). The HAL website is helpful for excursions too, as they will not let you book a tour that you don't have time for. So look at what HAL offers on each stop of your tour, that will let you know what you will have time for if you want to book something on your own.

If it isn't listed on the HAL website, you probably don't have time to do it.

There is an information desk at each HAL hotel, tour reservation desk, besides your tour director that should travel with you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. HAL does a great job of accommodating folks. Try not to stress, things will fall into place.

Cruise Tour Highlights

Day 1 Fairbanks

Day 2 Fairbanks/Denali

Day 3 Denali

Day 4 Denali

Day 5 Denali/Anchorage

Day 6 Anchorage/Seward

Day 6 - 13 Cruise

Day 1- your hotel is included, many times they use the Westmark. Transfer from airport included.

Day 2 9am- you take the Sternwheeler http://riverboatdiscovery.com/ you leave Fairbanks by bus in the afternoon- 2 1/4hour ride.

Day 3 Tundra Wilderness Tour- http://www.nps.gov/dena http://www.reservedenali.com have good descriptions

Day 4 if of interest- taking another ride into the park could be an option- will be different then the previous day. :) Plenty of activities to consider. Verify the lodge shuttle bus schedule and take advantage of this extra day.

Day 5 you will leave Denali around noon, and arrive in Anchorage about 8pm.

You have time in the morning - if you want to see the park dog sled demo? I'd also suggest leaving the Visitor Center until this time as well. Your bags will be taken care of that morning, and your location for either of these is across from the Train Station. Your train tickets should be dispersed prior.

Day 6- here is where you have a choice perhaps. The "cruise train" leaves early afternoon, usually. This gives you little time in Anchorage and no time in Seward. Both areas are worth time, in my opinion. You can take the regular run of the Alaska RR which leaves around 6a with the significant benefit of getting you into Seward in time for an activity- IF of interest. Especially worthwhile, since many people have a priority for wildlife viewing is a Kenai Fjords boat tour- an Alaska jackpot for varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing, superior to what you will see from your cruise ship. Of course, you would be forfeiting the cost of the included train and have to purchase the regular run from Alaska rr. Either way, your seats are assigned on the train. The first section the views of the Arm are on the right, once you pass Portage, the views will be on the left, so consider moving about the train.

Have a great trip, you have a nice itinerary that you will certainly enjoy.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thank you agabbymama for setting my mind at ease. I was beginning to think that I had made a mistake by booking with Costco, and not having a personal TA. (I had booked with Costco before and they were great, but then it was a simple cruise.) It sets my mind at ease to know everyone is "in the dark", not just me .....unless you're a member of Cruise Critic!

👑 The Budget Queen; WOW, you truly are the Queen!!! Thank you so very much for all of the GREAT INFORMATION! I am "blown away" that you would take so much of your own time, to help me out. So much great information, and so many tips. The tips you gave, can really make a difference ....I truly can't thank you enough! I feel so much better😊😊😊 Thank You 👑👑👑

👑 The Budget Queen; WOW, you truly are the Queen!!! Thank you so very much for all of the GREAT INFORMATION! I am "blown away" that you would take so much of your own time, to help me out. So much great information, and so many tips. The tips you gave, can really make a difference ....I truly can't thank you enough! I feel so much better😊😊😊 Thank You 👑👑👑

Glad the information was helpful for you. I do fault a lot of descriptions for being vague. :) Again- you have a great trip ahead of you, going to Paradise. :)

Not BQ, but this is about as detailed information as you will get until you meet up with your tour director in Fairbanks. You do need to go to HAL website and log-in to your account for boarding docs, luggage tags, etc. (HAL used to mail all this to you, but with computers that is now a thing of the past). They don't give times as there could be a variety of travel delays. Everything is approximate (morning, afternoon, evening) not 9:00 am, 1:00 pm or 6:00 pm.

Once you meet up with your tour in Fairbanks, you will be given an itinerary for each day (we got ours each morning). The HAL website is helpful for excursions too, as they will not let you book a tour that you don't have time for. So look at what HAL offers on each stop of your tour, that will let you know what you will have time for if you want to book something on your own.

If it isn't listed on the HAL website, you probably don't have time to do it.

There is an information desk at each HAL hotel, tour reservation desk, besides your tour director that should travel with you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. HAL does a great job of accommodating folks. Try not to stress, things will fall into place.

Thanks! We have booked the D3L with HAL in May and I am trying to figure out what time we will have on our own to book adventures. If what you say is true about not committing to times, it will be tough to prebook private tours and I will have to have a go to list handy each day and bring more $. (I usually like to prepay as much as possible) From what I read it seems as if we can pack our cruise clothes separately as dining seems casual in Alaska - especially if we are on our own! HAL told me it was the Westmark in Fairbanks so we are going out a couple days early and staying there on our own. Any ideas on shuttles from the airport to the hotel? Their site doesn't mention anything - are taxis expensive?

Dianne & Paul

Thanks! We have booked the D3L with HAL in May and I am trying to figure out what time we will have on our own to book adventures. If what you say is true about not committing to times, it will be tough to prebook private tours and I will have to have a go to list handy each day and bring more $. (I usually like to prepay as much as possible) From what I read it seems as if we can pack our cruise clothes separately as dining seems casual in Alaska - especially if we are on our own! HAL told me it was the Westmark in Fairbanks so we are going out a couple days early and staying there on our own. Any ideas on shuttles from the airport to the hotel? Their site doesn't mention anything - are taxis expensive?

Dianne & Paul

If you post your itinerary, I can give you more details. Need your mode of transportation and inclusions listed.

Since I'm booked on a D3L I will list the itinerary as best I can. I did get a little cheat sheet from my TA.

Aug 15-Arrive Fairbanks at 2:20pm with transfer to the Westmark Fairbanks hotel. I'm not sure how far the airport is from the hotel but I'm figuring between getting luggage and ride we should check in about 3:30 or 4 (please correct if not accurate). Night is to do anything we want.

Aug 16-Next day is the gold dredge in the morning and the Riverboat discovery tour. Transfer from hotel to gold dredge is 9:45 to 10:30. Gold dredge is from 10:30 to 12:30. Says lunch Riverboat from 1 to 2. Riverboat tour from 2 to 5:15. Then it just says transfer riverboat to hotel (pm). I'm guessing another night free.

Aug 17-Next is Fairbanks/Denali coach from 9:30am to 1:00pm. Denali hotel and Denali afternoon at leisure. I've already booked an excursion into the park with a photography guide for 6pm this evening through HAL.

Aug 18-Next day is AM TWT (see I'm learning Budget Queen). Doesn't say what time we get back but does say Denali afternoon at leisure. I was told we get back approx 2:30 to 3pm.

Aug 19-Next day is transfer from hotel to rail. Mckinley Explorer Denali/Talkeetna 9:15 am to 1:40 pm. Then Mckinley Explorer Talkeetna/Anchorage 1:55pm to 5:00pm. I guess they are giving us 15 minutes to stretch our legs or maybe others are getting off and some are getting on? Then transfer rail to hotel (Westmark Anchorage Hotel). It doesn't give any times after this so I assume its a night at leisure. Also not sure how far the rail is to the hotel.

Aug 20-Next day Anchorage/Seward coach to Seward Windsong Lodge. to tell). Also was told that it takes about 2 hours by coach to get from Anchorage to Seward and I'm not sure how accurate that is. In any case there are no excursions listed for this day and I know HAL would make money if they could so I'm thinking that perhaps its later than we would like.

Aug 21-Next day transfer hotel to ship. Have a few options of excursions like the Kenai Fjords cruise which I understand is fantastic but is also very long (8Hours). We sail from Seward at 8PM.

Obviously the dates are different but that is the itinerary for the D3L HAL tour. Thanks in advance for your help Budget Queen.

Wow! Thank you Bucky for the detail. This helps a lot. My TA is not the most proactive on anything. I had originally booked directly with HAL and he had some group rate cabins on another cruise we took and he offered OBC so we moved this booking to him. Now I can't get much direct info from HAL. I need to find out if the transfer to the hotel is included as we are coming in on Saturday afternoon and not the first day of the tour Monday so we can relax, adjust to the time change and see a bit of Fairbanks on our own before the adventure begins. Sounds like we can plan on all of Monday as a see Fairbanks day - any suggestions would be appreciated, Budget Queen. We were not planning on renting a car and don't mind walking a couple of miles to get to an attraction unless the weather is bad. No worries on the ship portion - we have done that before. The land part is new to us.

Dianne & Paul

Aug 19-Next day is transfer from hotel to rail. Mckinley Explorer Denali/Talkeetna 9:15 am to 1:40 pm. Then Mckinley Explorer Talkeetna/Anchorage 1:55pm to 5:00pm. I guess they are giving us 15 minutes to stretch our legs or maybe others are getting off and some are getting on? Then transfer rail to hotel (Westmark Anchorage Hotel). It doesn't give any times after this so I assume its a night at leisure. Also not sure how far the rail is to the hotel.

Aug 20-Next day Anchorage/Seward coach to Seward Windsong Lodge. No times given about arrival but if early enough then my husband will be renting fishing gear and walking down to where the ocean meets the river to fish for salmon. He is experienced fisherman and the owner of the shop told him he doesn't really need a guide (which I thought was really nice considering that he could have charged him for one. Also told him he could just leave the rental gear on the porch because he would be closed by the time my husband returned. Things certainly are different in Alaska then they are in NYC). This is where I need your help Budget Queen. Will we get in early enough for my husband to get to the store to rent his equipment (we were hoping around 2pm but with no time given for departure its hard to tell). Also was told that it takes about 2 hours by coach to get from Anchorage to Seward and I'm not sure how accurate that is. In any case there are no excursions listed for this day and I know HAL would make money if they could so I'm thinking that perhaps its later than we would like.

Aug 21-Next day transfer hotel to ship. Have a few options of excursions like the Kenai Fjords cruise which I understand is fantastic but is also very long (8Hours). We sail from Seward at 8PM.

Aug 24-Next is Haines arriving at 6:30am departing 9:00pm. (Any suggestions for this port-have no plans yet)

Aug 26-Next day is Ketchikan from 11am to 7pm (I could use your help again in this port to any suggestions as I'm not sure what I want to do. Was thinking of a bear tour but not sure if that is the right time of year).

IF you are traveling by rail- this is not correct. The train leaves Denali around noon, gets into Anchorage around 8pm. A short stop, just to load/unload at Talkeetna.

Allow 3 hours for the Anchorage/Seward bus transfer. I've seen buses pulled over on the Arm. Also be certain to have the fishing license, I believe available online via the Alaska Fish and Game site. I've seen buses usually leave after noon Anchorage/Seward. On cruise ship days- some are getting there at 5p. I'd suggest- you look for information from people on the same cruise tour. You aren't going until end of August, so should find, someone, with an occasional post on the RCI board.

It is of significant advantage to consider a Kenai Fjords boat tour- IF you wish to get a nice tour of varied wildlife. For many visitors, it's a priority to see, but there are a lot of options. I never recommend heading to the ship and wasting this day. :) You need at least a 6 hour tour, which is very common and available from both major companies.

Haines- in this time frame, I always rent a car, good potential for possible brown bear spotting, also driving the Haines Highway is nonstop scenery. Murray has a guide for this highway as well. (he is the king of road guides in Skagway :) )

Ketchikan, I would suggest a fly in to Traitor's Cove for bear viewing. A location with good viewing stats. I highly recommend Southeast Aviation.

• 3 months later...

Day 6- here is where you have a choice perhaps. The "cruise train" leaves early afternoon, usually. This gives you little time in Anchorage and no time in Seward. Both areas are worth time, in my opinion. You can take the regular run of the Alaska RR which leaves around 6a with the significant benefit of getting you into Seward in time for an activity- IF of interest. Especially worthwhile, since many people have a priority for wildlife viewing is a Kenai Fjords boat tour- an Alaska jackpot for varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing, superior to what you will see from your cruise ship. Of course, you would be forfeiting the cost of the included train and have to purchase the regular run from Alaska rr. Either way, your seats are assigned on the train. The first section the views of the Arm are on the right, once you pass Portage, the views will be on the left, so consider moving about the train.

I had wondered about doing just this...taking the train on my own. I was just thinking of getting onto the ship earlier than right before sailing, but if I could combine it with a Kenji tour and still get on the ship before last minute even better.

Would HAL still transfer my luggage as if I was on the train, or would I take it along with me? Would we just tell the tour leader in Anchorage if we planned to not be on the train with the group the next day?

Do you have timing information on when the HAL train from Anchorage does arrive at the port in Seward?

Thank you.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

Still hoping for answers to the last questions here about the timing of the train to Seward and day options.

We are doing the R2C with HAL going the other direction. We used a "big box warehouse" TA. When we had questions we would call them get put on hold (that's OK) and they would call HAL with the questions. Use your TA to get those questions answered by HAL. Wish you luck on this deviation.