Dining on the Mercury

dewayneg

I want to book a 16 night voyage next December on the Mercury, but I am concerned about the dining options. We are a family of four, and under no circumstances do I want to dine with others. (This is my choice, please don't tell me I'm wrong about this or to suggest I should do it. We've tried it and its not for us).

I talked to a Celebrity representative last night and she said that she could not guarantee a table for four, only note a request. She said all of the tables on the Mercury were 4 or 6, so at most we would only have two others at our table.

It is also my understanding that you cannot eat dinner in the buffet, only the dining room. This would mean our only alternate choice for dinner is to eat in our stateroom, which isn't really an option either.

Normally I would go with the flow, believing that getting a table for four would not be a problem. However on my last cruise it was a problem and we ended up in the buffet every night. This after we followed the advice to show up at the dining room to request a change as soon as we boarded.

So, if anyone has any knowledge of the table layouts, dining options, or experience in getting a table for four, I would like to hear it.

Sounds like cruising may not be the best vacation for you. Cruises tend to be very social. What you say about seems to be rather anti social. But as I always say a cruise is what you make of it. If you want to make it a time of bonding with just the four of you then so be it.

Your best bet is to link your reservations, request a table for four on both reservations. As soon as you board get your dining card and head to the diningroom. Check you table if it is not what you want talk with the Matre de and see if one is available. Be willing to change dining times. There may not be on at your current dining time, but there may be one at the other.

If they cannot accomodate you, they take the buffet area and turn it into an alternative dining restaurant. It's casual dining so no dress code. It costs $2 per person per night. It's a limited menu, but it is an option. They also have a sushi bar and pizza as other options at dinner time.

I hope all goes well and you get what you like

I just got off the Mercury on Monday and we chose not to eat in the dining room 2 of the 4 nights. Instead, we ate in the Palm Springs cafe and enjoyed it as much as we did the dining room. In the evening, the Palm Springs cafe offers white linen table service, not buffet as it is for breakfast and lunch, and though the menu is pared down slightly from the dining room's dinner menu, the food is every bit as good.

You do have to make reservations but doing so the evening before is fine. In fact, we did made reservations one day only several hours before and it wasn't a problem.

We chose this option instead of formal night one night, and the second night because we wanted a quieter dining experience. We found the dining room to be excessively noisy; we were on the 2nd level and sound seemed to bounce off the ceiling making it difficult to talk. Also, adding to the noise was several tables near us was a large group travelling together; they got louder talking across tables the more alchohol they consumed. Also, the dining room tables themselves are very small. There were 4 of us and with all of the silverware and napkins and glasses, they couldn't fit a breadbasket on our table and had to sit it on a stand next to the table. Either way, the food was excellent in both locations.

It is true that there are many tables for 4, in fact there were 4 of us and that's what we got, but there are larger as well. And I kept hoping, like you, that we wouldn't be seated with another family. And I am social, but this trip was meant to celebrate my in-laws 50th and wanted to keep this a more intimate experience.

What I think you should do is call Celebrity again. But when you call, ask for the "dining room coordinator", don't accept anybody else. Tell the dining room coordinator that you insist on reserving a table for four and see what happens. I cannot believe that they wouldn't do it for you. Just to give you an example, we are going on a Costa cruise this december and we have 10 people. Costa only has tables for as many as 8. I called the dining room cooridnator and she asked me to send her the names, booking numbers, and cabin numbers of all the passengers in our group. I faxed the info to her and, believe it or not she phoned me this morning and said she would contact the maitre'd of the ship we'll be sailing on and see what he can do. I told her we would accept a table for 8 stretched to seat 10. She also told me that when she had any info for me, she would call me again. Now that's what I call good service, and I feel confident that if you get the right person when you call, everything will be worked out to your satisfaction. Let us know how you make out. ;)

I want to book a 16 night voyage next December on the Mercury, but I am concerned about the dining options. We are a family of four, and under no circumstances do I want to dine with others. (This is my choice, please don't tell me I'm wrong about this or to suggest I should do it. We've tried it and its not for us).

I talked to a Celebrity representative last night and she said that she could not guarantee a table for four, only note a request. She said all of the tables on the Mercury were 4 or 6, so at most we would only have two others at our table.

So, if anyone has any knowledge of the table layouts, dining options, or experience in getting a table for four, I would like to hear it.

The Mercury has tables for 4. 6, 8, and 10 so the Celeb rep who told you that tables were for 4 or 6 was incorrect.

Celebrity will do all in their power to see that you get the table size you request if it is humanly possible. When you board, check your table number assignment in your cabin and go see the maitre'd immediately. He should be set up outside the dining room. He will be able to tell you your table size and location. If it is not right, you can ask him to change it. Sometimes, it is not possible to change on the first night especially if the cruise is full, but he will do all that can to get you changed by the next night - others are also requesting changes which might open up a table for 4.

We too (family of 3) prefer to dine by ourselves. Unlike the assumption of at least one poster in this thread, that is not an "antisocial" choice -- we socialize plenty at other times in our cruise, such as trivia contests, Cruise Critic gathering(s), etc., but at dinner, we love to focus on the food and service and each other's company, since it's so different from the hectic nights in "regular life" at home. (Not to mention, there's plenty of interaction with the wonderful waiter/assistant waiter teams.)

That said, here's how we ensure this happens:

--Travel agent requests table for just us

--I have travel agent reconfirm this request a couple times before the cruise

--The SECOND we get on board, and I do mean THE SECOND, no later than noonish, I go to the lounge outside the dining room, where a maitre d' is set up to handle questions/concerns about table assignments. I confirm that we are at a table by ourselves. If we are not (it did happen a couple cruises ago), I immediately request a change.

Meantime, unless something is happening differently on this cruise compared to others we've been on (including twice on Mercury in the past year and a half), there WILL be casual dining in the buffet area available nightly. Reservations are recommended, and there is a $2 suggested gratuity per person; this is table service most nights with a nice, simple menu.

Good luck in getting your wish granted. I have to say, this is something that I always stress about until the second I have the exact table assignment & the fact it's "just us" confirmed - I do wish this could be confirmed before the cruise, but I guess it's not possible given all the other juggling they have to do and the fact they have only hours between cruises! -- TR

We are also not anti-social. In fact I am too social. :D

But we aren't native speakers, and while we can and gladly do speak with our new friends during the day, we prefer to speak Russian with each other (and our son), which would not be polite if we sat with other people.

( When I cruised without my husband (only once) I had great time with other 7 people, but for two of us it's just easier to have separate table... And this way I don't have to be embaraced when my husband orders 3 entries :o :D )

We requested table for 4 for our last April cruise on Mercury and that's what we got, even though ship was completely sold out. I'd prefer more central location (it was lower level near the door) , but it was nice to have whole table to ourselves.

but for two of us it's just easier to have separate table... And this way I don't have to be embarraced when my husband orders 3 entries :o :D )

Yes but if you sit in a large group you can pretend that all those extra entrees belong to someone else entirely!!! :D

Yes but if you sit in a large group you can pretend that all those extra entrees belong to someone else entirely!!! :D

:D Nice idea, but ... then we have to watch that person in case he/she likes the idea of eating our entry. :D To be honest with you, I won't be terribly upset if this happens, but hubby might.

Thanks to everyone who offered up their good advice. I will certainly take it into consideration before booking this cruise. We were aboard the Vision of the Seas last February, and I went to the dining room right as they opened at 1PM to see if I could get a table reassignment. I was told that no, no tables were available but to come to dinner that night, which I did. After dinner I was advised that there would be no tables for four opening during the cruise, so we made the decision to eat in the Windjammer for the rest of the week.

I would like to believe that booking a cruise and requesting a table configuration 15 months early would pretty much guarantee my table request, but I wasn't comforted by my conversation with customer service.

To the poster that suggested I was anti-social, whether or not that be the case, I have valid reasons for wanting to sit with my family only. Perhaps rather than suggesting that cruising wasn't for me, maybe you meant that this particular cruise wasn't for me? And that is exactly what I am trying to determine before I book it.

You ask a simple question............................? I do hope you are able to work this out, Mercury is a beautiful ship. I apologize for my fellow cc member who suggested maybe cruising is not for you. It was clear this would not be your first experience.

The photo is the setting up in the buffet area, very nice with great views and a good alternative for your family.

100_1392.jpg.fdc22111afa0b9398a71e761e2924e11.jpg

I am sorry for those who took offense to my comments.

One of the things I love about cruising is the social aspect of dinner. Sitting at a table with people from all over the world and talking over dinner. Yes, I expect good food and service, but it wouldn't mean as much if I didn't have the great company with it. There are so many wonderful people out there.

You will have a great tim on the Mercury. If the dinner arrangements are a large concern and you are truely worried about not being able to get a table for 4 (highly unlikely), then maybe Princess and NCL are more suited to you. Both lines have taken on open seating and a number of restaurants, like some of the all inclusive resorts.

But sailing as much as I have, I have never had a problem getting a table for dinner that suited my needs.

Good Luck

Request your table for 4 and don't worry about it. See the dining room as soon as you board and I'm positive it won't be a problem. We always have a table for 2 and it has never, ever been an issue.

Marilyn

Sorry, I disagree...if this is important to you, then it is important that you have it settled before you leave...vacations are expensive and while I love a large table, apparently you do not...make sure you are covered before you spend your hard earned money.

We are also not anti-social. In fact I am too social. :D

But we aren't native speakers, and while we can and gladly do speak with our new friends during the day, we prefer to speak Russian with each other (and our son), which would not be polite if we sat with other people.

Hi Tatka...I would LOVE to share a table with you just to hear about your experiences, ending up here in North America....Feb 18th, Century, think about it!!

Hi Tatka...I would LOVE to share a table with you just to hear about your experiences, ending up here in North America....Feb 18th, Century, think about it!!

Danno :D

I am booked for this and next year, but would gladly share a table with you, although my DH doesn't like when I get a smallest possibility to discuss hockey. ;) (after the latest heated debates with my brother-in-law who happens to be Sens fan, and big critic of B's :mad: )

Other than that we should make quite interesting table.

We actually had nice tablemates once... older couple of long time immigrants from Cuba. (they were about 5 years older than my grandparents, but it was so much fun!)

We are going on Infinity and requested a table for 4, because we'll have our 7 and 9 year old kids with us, and we figured that adults would not want to get stuck at a table with a couple of kids. We wouldn't mind other adults, it just that many adults prefer not to dine with children on a cruise, and we enjoy dining with the kids so much.

So hopefully that will work out, otherwise, I hope we get matched with a couple of Grand Parent types who love children, and don't mind being with us.

I have heard that if you are unhappy with your table mates or dinning situation, that Celebrity is usually pretty good about re-assigning you.

Suzanne

CruiseArizona, the child issue is exactly one of the reason we want to dine alone. It has been my experience that cruise lines do not do a good job matching up diners. We have been seated with a group of 50+ year-olds when we are 30s and kids were 6 and 8. Changing tables may be an option, but I would rather avoid that as I know how I would feel if a group of people abandoned my table after the first night. This is a 16 night cruise I am talking about here, so I have to be more careful than I would for a 7 nighter, especially since the evening dining options are limited.

Frankly, the recommendation to try NCL for its free style dining is a good one, but I have heard too many bad things about that cruise line and I really like this itinerary. This would be a very expensive vacation, a once in a lifetime opportunity to take this sort of cruise while the kids are out of school.

Before we finally just started pushing the point of having our own table, we had mixed experiences with this:

First cruise, they put us at a table with another family of three. Unfortunately, the other couple's child was a preschooler who couldn't handle the dining room (our son was then 6) and they moved to room service after night 1 - so we sat at the 6-top by ourselves the rest of the way.

Second cruise, we were also at a table for 6 and supposed to have another family there, but they never showed up!

Third cruise was the one that made us realize we needed our own table ... we were seated at a table for 8 with five people who were "nice" but just didn't click with us or each other -- two 50ish sisters and their ailing mom, plus a 50ish couple, all parents of grown children who clearly were not comfortable with us having our then-7-year-old son along for the ride, and after a couple nights it was just excruciating for us to try to keep him in check (he was not misbehaving but we were overly self-conscious about every little kidlike bit of behavior he did exhibit, given their glares) AND for us to TRY to make conversation since it became clear they did not have anything in common with us and did not even want to talk about the cruise, cruising in general, the ports, etc.

Probably just a very rare situation but I wouldn't want to risk it again ... until perhaps someday when sprout is off to college & hubby and I are traveling alone ... TR

To the original OP- I'm probably going to get slammed here-- but I'll share our experience.

We've cruised both Celebrity and RCCL- each have their own good (and not so good) things. However- I was VERY unhapy with RCCL and how they handled their dining. We had met another couple online (via CC of course) before a 10 night cruise-- they live close to us and we had brunch together one Sunday before the cruise and decided- hey, let's have a dinner table for four! Great idea, right? No strangers to meet, etc. They contacted their travel agent, gave her our booking #, and thought we were all set. The travel agent (I believe) did her part as our friend was sitting right there when she called RCCL and asked for us to be seated together.

Although that was our first RCCL cruise they were Diamond level cruisers. Well, we got onboard together and guess what? Not even the same SEATING. They had late (which they did NOT want) and we had early. We stood in line for over an hour to see the maitre'd (forgive spelling) and he basically said "too bad-- can't do anything for you-- early seating is full." We could have switched to late to join them but we were doing several tours and late dining just couldn't work for us with having to get up at 0600- so we had to say "oh well." We did end up at a table for four- a couple we had never met and they were very nice but it really put a damper on the whole experience. We hoped that maybe no one else would show up-- but they did and it wasn't their fault so we were as pleasant as we could be. We did meet up with our friends for lunch several days but it wasn't the same thing. And they are Diamond level cruisers and treated (what I consider) poorly? They had always had early seating on every cruise and they were flabergasted they didn't get it on this one.

Compare to a seven night Celebrity experience about a year earlier. The first night at dinner we met a mother/daughter traveling together and one single. However, we were at a table for 8...and there was only 5 of us. The second night- we were the only two that showed up. Made us feel rather uncomfortable and to be honest we weren't all that thrilled with the original tablemates and thought maybe they weren't so thrilled with us either. So on our third night we kind of "hung back" to see if anyone else would show up at the table (have you ever eaten at a table for 8 with just two of you? Felt like we forgot to shower or something). We didn't see anyone show up and were kind of debating what to do when the maitre'd noticed we were sort of hesitating and asked what the problem was. We told him and he re-assigned us with two other couples who were GREAT to have dinner with. We had a wonderful time. We did give a tip to the servers from our first table (different than who we ended up with) for the first two nights they served us. We did see the mother/daughter from the original table folks later in the cruise and they asked where we had gone. I said we thought that perhaps they weren't happy with us as dinner mates and they said they were not feeling well or something so that's why they didn't show up for two nights-- but it really worked out for the best in our mind.

My point is- Celebrity (in my experience) is not RCCL. They will try and make you happy-- and give you what you want if at all possible.

My point is- Celebrity (in my experience) is not RCCL. They will try and make you happy-- and give you what you want if at all possible.

Thanks for your story, this is what I wanted to hear. I actually made the reservations tonight and the agent told me "no problem" when I asked for a table for four. In the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter, but I'm always trying to make things perfect. Can't really blame me for that.

If you choose to make reservations to eat in the buffet area which is turned into an alternative restaurant in the evening does the $2.00 charge per person go onto your shipboard account or do you tip the waiter at the end of your meal with cash?

It goes on your shipboard account.

That horror story of holomuku's? Hard to believe a service company can't be a little more accommodating, how hard could it be?

When we sailed Mercury with the kids, our daughter and son-in-law. We THOUGHT our table reservations were linked and the four of us would be together at an 8 top. In all the excitement of boarding it never occurred to me to call their cabin and check their table assignment. So late seating first night rolls around, we meet up outside the room and the four of us walk in and find my table number (still thinking and never checking their assignment card). We had already done the introductions and met our table mates, a great couple from Australia and a single lady from the San Francisco area. Imagine our embarrassment when a group of three got to the table and found two of the chairs occupied by our kids. Ok, we screwed up and it tool all of 5 minutes to square things away, we stayed there and the other folks were seated elsewhere, everyone was happy, no muss, no fuss.

THAT is the way things should be handled. I just can not imagine Celebrity not trying their best to see their passengers happy and satisfied.

The only thing I am going to add here is the food in the alternative dining room at night happened to have the BEST salmon I have had on any cruise and overall I thought BETTER food than main dining room!!!! We ate there on Mercury 3 times & absolutely loved it!:D

We did a 10 night on Mercury but just my personal opinion, I wouldn't do more than that on her again, she is just a little too small & not enough choices for us. We really enjoy the specialty dining & spa cafe options! More room to roam & more shops to look at! :D

The thing that really surprised me on this RCCL cruise dining situation was that our friends (Diamond Level with RCCL) got second seating when they wanted first seating, and we got first (which we wanted) but it was our first RCCL cruise. And they booked before we did!

I too was very surprised they couldn't find a way to squeeze two Diamond Level folks into first seating. Guess it was supply and demand and maybe there were other Diamond Level folks that had same problem.

Didn't ruin the cruise but it sure would have been better to be able to sit together!

Archived