Cannes and Villefranche?

ctnurse

We are on the Disney Magic this summer which is no longer going to Greece and Turkey, but instead is mostly focused on Italy and France.

We have stops in both Cannes and Villefranche. Is there enough different things to see to get off the ship at both stops? Thoughts?

Agree with what Buggins posted. These are actually 2 excellent ports because of their fantastic location near many interesting places. The only downside is that they are both tender ports which can mean long delays getting ashore. Villefranche gives you easy access to both Nice and Monte Carlo as well as Eze Village. We often recommend that passengers who get ashore in the morning consider going into Nice and visiting the Flower Market. As to Cannes (which has its own charm) we often rent a car and drive ourselves over to St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite places in the region) and perhaps do a quick stop in Antibes.

Hank

Agree with what Buggins posted. These are actually 2 excellent ports because of their fantastic location near many interesting places. The only downside is that they are both tender ports which can mean long delays getting ashore. Villefranche gives you easy access to both Nice and Monte Carlo as well as Eze Village. We often recommend that passengers who get ashore in the morning consider going into Nice and visiting the Flower Market. As to Cannes (which has its own charm) we often rent a car and drive ourselves over to St Paul de Vence (one of our favorite places in the region) and perhaps do a quick stop in Antibes.

Hank

Hank, you would probably get a chuckle out of this. The questions that sometimes come up on this board with cruisers with a stop in Cannes and bound and determined to go to Monte Carlo for their day (or vice-versa) always leave me scratching my head. But, for our next cruise I've found myself in a similar situation...Monte Carlo stop and we want to do St. Paul, which we have somehow managed to miss for all our time in the area. Worse yet, it's a Sunday. But, our port time is until 11:00 pm, so I think we'll be able to manage it with a train- 400 bus combo, even with the limited schedule.

Originally our booking had 3 included excursions (I hate tours and even more the large ship tours) but I thought I could use them for transportation to sites, see them on our own and find our own way back. But, just found out I could swap them for $600 OBC..so I did. So I'm back to finding my DIY ways to sites. Frankly, I'm looking least forward to the Livorno to train station shuffle to get to Lucca.

Hank, you would probably get a chuckle out of this. The questions that sometimes come up on this board with cruisers with a stop in Cannes and bound and determined to go to Monte Carlo for their day (or vice-versa) always leave me scratching my head. But, for our next cruise I've found myself in a similar situation...Monte Carlo stop and we want to do St. Paul, which we have somehow managed to miss for all our time in the area. Worse yet, it's a Sunday. But, our port time is until 11:00 pm, so I think we'll be able to manage it with a train- 400 bus combo, even with the limited schedule.

Originally our booking had 3 included excursions (I hate tours and even more the large ship tours) but I thought I could use them for transportation to sites, see them on our own and find our own way back. But, just found out I could swap them for $600 OBC..so I did. So I'm back to finding my DIY ways to sites. Frankly, I'm looking least forward to the Livorno to train station shuffle to get to Lucca.

We absolutely agree with your train/bus (or you could use bus/bus) combination to St Paul de Vence. It is a terrific place to be on a Sunday since a majority of the shops and galleries are open. In fact, many French will head to St Paul de Vence on a Sunday afternoon (if the weather is good). Given your long day in port we would be doing the same thing. You might be interested to learn how we first discovered St Paul de Vence about 25 years ago. We had booked back to back to back cruises on the old (and very small) Regent Spirit which was using Nice as its home/turn around port. Our turn around day on the 2nd cruise happened to be on a Sunday and we had no clue what to do. But on the small 300 passenger ship we had befriended a French couple (singer/entertainers on the ship) so we asked their advice. The quickly suggested we go to St Paul de Vence...and we have been back more then a dozen times since. And on that first visit we also used the 400 bus from Nice (some things do not change).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for the information. Are there any tour companies that either of you would recommend?

The one name that has long popped up on this forum (with constant excellent reviews) is Sylvie di Cristo. But keep in mind that French tour guides are somewhat costly.

Hank

The one name that has long popped up on this forum (with constant excellent reviews) is Sylvie di Cristo. But keep in mind that French tour guides are somewhat costly.

Hank

Thank you. I have noticed that the tour guides are much more expensive than they were for our private tours in the Baltic this past summer.

Thank you. I have noticed that the tour guides are much more expensive than they were for our private tours in the Baltic this past summer.

France is significantly different then many other countries/ports. In France you will seldom find tour guides looking for business at the ports. In fact, we have been to some French ports where there were not any taxis (we later found all the taxis/drivers 1/2 a mile away having their morning coffee at a cafe). And try finding a French rental car dealer open on a Sunday or Holiday (other then at airports). Cruisers like to think that all kinds of folks and services are just waiting for a cruise ship. But in France, most could care less about a ship in port.

Hank

If you felt up for a DIY day and assuming you have kids since you are on Disney, Monte Carlo might work ( as long as it's not during the Grand Prix). There is a good aquarium and they might like the changing of the guard at the Palace. It's an easy doable train or bus ride from Villefranche.

If you felt up for a DIY day and assuming you have kids since you are on Disney, Monte Carlo might work ( as long as it's not during the Grand Prix). There is a good aquarium and they might like the changing of the guard at the Palace. It's an easy doable train or bus ride from Villefranche.

Yes, 2 kids ages 3 and 12. Thank you for the ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a great train and bus service in Villefranche sur Mer which takes you all along the coastline to Nice, Cannes, Monaco etc and very reasonably priced.

Villefranche itself is exceptionally pretty with a tiny market, great shops and bars and windy little picturesque streets.

It's other big draw is the crystal clear warm ocean perfect for swimming ( pebble beach though)

Sent from my iPad using Forums