Belize

ranchette

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/06/canadian-filmmaker-reported-killed-in-robbery-at-belize-home.html

By: The Canadian Press, Published on Wed Jan 06 2016

SAN PEDRO, BELIZE—A 37-year-old Canadian has reportedly been killed in an apparent burglary at his home in Selena Village in Belize.

The online edition of the San Pedro Sun says Matthiew Klinck — a producer and filmmaker from Quebec — was found stabbed to death near his home on Monday.

The report quoted police reports as saying Klinck’s home had been ransacked and valuables were missing.

The San Pedro Sun says police have contacted the Canadian consulate in Belize to inform Klinck’s family.

A spokesman for Global Affairs says Canadian consular officials in Belize are in contact with local authorities and are providing consular assistance to the family.

The report says Klinck had been living in Belize for about five years and was the producer of San Pedro’s first Spanish soap-opera “La Isla Bonita Telenovela.”

So awful...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3402147/ABC-producer-murdered-sexually-assaulted-vacation-Belize.html

ABC producer was 'murdered and sexually assaulted while on vacation in Belize'

• Producer Anne Swaney, 39, arrived last Saturday to Nabatunich Resort, Benque Viejo in Belize
  • She disappeared on Thursday after doing yoga by the Mopan River
  • Swaney's half-naked corpse was found floating on the river on Friday

By Alexandra Klausner For Dailymail.com

Published: 01:48 GMT, 16 January 2016 | Updated: 05:19 GMT, 16 January 2016

And the point of this thread is what? Trying to paint Belize as a dangerous place? These could have happened anywhere in the world including the U.S., Canada, the UK, anywhere, and have. I'm sorry, I just don't get the point.:confused:

And the point of this thread is what? Trying to paint Belize as a dangerous place? These could have happened anywhere in the world including the U.S., Canada, the UK, anywhere, and have. I'm sorry, I just don't get the point.:confused:

Uhhh.......with a population of only 335,000, at least 121 were murdered

here in 2015.

Making it one of the most dangerous places in the entire WORLD. (it makes places like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago look heavenly by comparison).

For further info, check Google for complete crime data provided by the U.S.

Department of State. This is a very scary place to go.....and in recent years

the problems have expanded well beyond Belize City. Cruisers unfamiliar

with this area should be alert to the criminal reality before thinking

about excursion plans.

I cannot speak for the original poster's intent, but the reason I posted the news articles was to INFORM people who are travelling to this region. The latest murder was a TOURIST in a tourist area. Desperate people, sometimes do desperate things. Two murders of North American citizens, in just 10 DAYS, should cause a second look. Travelers need to be cautious in normal circumstances, this requires a heightened sense of personal security.

The first cruise I went on, Disney, pulled out of their stop in Mazatlan due to murders of foreigners in the months previous to our cruise. In the months leading up to our cruise, the other cruise lines pulled out as well. I was upset that we wouldn't be able to see Mazatlan, but at the same time my safety (and my friend/family's) is important. I was also sad that the city/people lost out on the revenue of all of those passengers - but if the security/police couldn't get a handle on the crime(s), then the cruise lines made the right choice.

So...the point...what is the point of this forum? To share - and if you are smart, you take what you read, and look into it and inform/prepare yourself for your travel.

Edited by turboteacher

Why then just comment about Belize, we should have a thread about all the crime in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, Galveston, Barcelona, San Juan, Southampton, well, every port where cruises originate or visit.

By the way turbo, I am fairly smart but don't see the point of looking into a report of crime that is reported for any country before I visit. What difference does it make that one of these reports was a tourist? Tourists get attacked and even murdered all around the world, including the U.S. Should we all stay home?

I cannot speak for the original poster's intent, but the reason I posted the news articles was to INFORM people who are travelling to this region. The latest murder was a TOURIST in a tourist area. Desperate people, sometimes do desperate things. Two murders of North American citizens, in just 10 DAYS, should cause a second look. Travelers need to be cautious in normal circumstances, this requires a heightened sense of personal security.

The first cruise I went on, Disney, pulled out of their stop in Mazatlan due to murders of foreigners in the months previous to our cruise. In the months leading up to our cruise, the other cruise lines pulled out as well. I was upset that we wouldn't be able to see Mazatlan, but at the same time my safety (and my friend/family's) is important. I was also sad that the city/people lost out on the revenue of all of those passengers - but if the security/police couldn't get a handle on the crime(s), then the cruise lines made the right choice.

So...the point...what is the point of this forum? To share - and if you are smart, you take what you read, and look into it and inform/prepare yourself for your travel.

Thank you that is exactly why it was originally posted to share information.