Garment Bag or Suitcase

nycruiser1975

I am a first timer and it is just my husband and I. I found a personal organizer for eseentials love it. From LL Bean, but I wanted to know for a 7 day cruise should we use a garment bag and a small suitcase for under wear and shoes, etc. Please help me with how to pack

I usually pack most of my items in a rolling garment bag, and put my necessary carry on items (medications, camera, change of clothes, jewelry, etc.) in a small rolling suitcase (the kind that will fit in overhead compartments on airplanes). The rolling garment bag I have is from Samsonite and it lays out like a regular garment bag. It holds several outfits, plus has slots for pairs of shoes and other items. It then folds over and zips up and is wheeled like a regular suitcase.

On my last cruise - I used both a garment bag and suitcase. The garment bag held my clothing in it - while I used the suitcase for toiletries, shoes, books and to pack my souveniers in on the return trip. I found that when I packed the bulky items in the garment bag, it was harder to lug around. However, mine did not have wheels on it - it buckled onto my suitcase.

I suggest packing your clothes into the garment bag and seeing how much extra room you have.

We have taken garment bags as well as suitcases - I think I can fit more in a regular suitcase. My husband takes garment bag that has wheels as well as a suitcase and carryon for 7 or 8 night cruises.

Maybe I just pack too much!!! I could NEVER get away with a garment bag and small suitcase! DS and I just got off a 4 nighter - had a garment bag, larger suitcase and 2 smaller bags (one of which I carried onto the ship with bathing suit and dinner clothes). You change clothes at least 2 times a day. Then there are the shoes -flipflops, tennis shoes, dinner shoes.....

What about souveniers??? LOL!

My boyfriend and I packed everything together. When I went to pack, I realized I couldn't find my garment bag. We used a 27" rolling suitcase for all dinner attire, shorts, t-shirts, undergarments, etc. I packed all dressy stuff in the dry cleaning bags and stacked it. (Found that tip somewhere on these boards, sorry not sure exactly where) Folding other items in between so everything came out very nice looking. One of my dresses, ankle length crinkle type material, had to hang in the steamy bathroom for 5 minutes but that was it. We took a rolling duffel bag that carried all shoes and basically any spill over items that weren't going in the suitcase. This bag left half full and came back full. We really didn't buy much on the trip, so make sure you have a plan if you are goiung to buy alot.

It all depends on the garment bag! We have 2, my husbands older one would not work for a weeks cruise, mine would be fine, but only enough room for one person. My garment bag has outside pockets, inside pockets and utilizes every nook and cranny to be found. Unfortunately, it does not have wheels, but we use it in conjunction with a medium sized rolling suitcase. The dressy stuff goes into the garment bag, all other clothes go into the suitcase.

For two adults on a 7-day, we use a small rolling carryon (the size of a computer case) in which we keep medicine, cosmetics, cameras, jewelry and any valuables we will not check with the porters. We also used a hanging garment bag for things that MUST hang, and a 30 inch rolling bag for foldable clothing, undies, jeans, tee shirts, casual foldable shirts, shorts, swimsuits, shoes, etc. For a 10-day I'd probably add a second hanging garment bag.

For a 7 dayer I use 2 garment bags and a medium size suitcase, plus my carryon. My dh's suit jacket & sport coat take up alot of space along with my formalwear. You also have to remember you will need extra space on your return, for all the goodies you buy.

FYI....get something to tie on your luggage handles so you can find your bags easily when you get off the ship. If you are sailing around a holiday you might like to use a decoration. I cruised during Christmas season and used some red Christmas bows.

Figuring all these things out is part of the fun of your first cruise. Have lots of fun! :D

On my Europe trip last May, I took my backpack as a carry-on, for use around Berlin since I'd have to carry a lot of stuff, and a 26 inch suitcase. I packed a duffel bag in my suitcase and when I came home I had the suitcase checked, the duffel as a carry on with souvineers and my backpack, for stuff I wanted kept handy on the 8 hour flight and a few of the heavier souvineers.

On the cruise (5 days with 2 days precruise), I'm going to bring the same 26 inch suitcase to check, a smaller carry-on size suitcase for a change of clothes, toiletries, etc... and a small backpack for stuff I'll want on the flights that I'll also use in the ports. Mom, Grandma and I found luggage tags at a dollar store that are large and shaped (mine are butterflies) so that our luggage will look alike somewhat and be distinguishable. I thought about bringing a garment bag to put our formal dresses in but I lost the strap a long time ago and it doesn't have wheels so it'd be more of a burden than a help.

Archived