Celebrity Constellation vs RCCL Serenade

psabri

We're cruising 3/4/06 and we're trying to decide between Constellation and Serenade. Have 3 kids, 17, 20, 23; 50ish husband and wife and an 80ish mother-in-law going. Will need 3 cabins--one balcony and 2 inside. Constellation would be about $400 more for the balcony and 200 or so for each inside cabin. Is this substantial difference worth it? We've cruised on the Infinity several years ago as well as two RCCL shiips (Monarch and Navigator), and enjoyed them all. Seems like the Cirque de Soleil experience is being terminated on Constellation as of November--my son loves acrobatics and juggling, but apparantly there was none of that in the CDS show anyway. Food is a priority, but thought the RCCL food was fairly comparable to Celebrity, is that still the case? One concern is that this is spring break--would not want to be on a ship completely taken over by spring breakers--although my kids probably have a different perspective--perhaps Celebrity will have fewer rowdy spring breakers than the RCCL ship? Any recommendations?

$800 is a big difference. X's food is notably better than RCCL's, JMO.

Due to San Juan vs Fla there will be less kids than other cruises. Celebrity will have fewer kids than RCCL.

Who are you looking to please the most the kids or everyone else. Kids will be happier on RCCL. If you really don't have a strong opinion after sailing both lines, GO RCCL. The Radiance class is the closest thing RCCL has to X's quality. $800 could be a shore excursion or two.

Actually both ships sail out of Puerto Rico. Still, I suspect there may be fewer spring breakers on RCCL than Celebrity. Have held 3 cabins on each, and need to decide by December between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on both ships in April 2005.

Had the worst celebrity cruise ever. Food, service was not good.

2nd week on the Serenade, WOW best Rccl cruise, everything was much better than the Constellation. Food super, Captain the best ever, he gave so much info, even sailed right up to the Pitons. I know which ship I would book.

Hope it helps

Stephen

between the two cruises--Constellation vs Serenade, I'm leaning towards the Serenade. Especially since we've cruised on RCCL 3 times before vs only once for Celebrity. In addition, RCCL seems to offer more goodies for return customers than Celebrity. However, food quality is very important to us, as is quality of service. These are supposed to be strong points for Celebrity, but individual opinions seem to be all over the map. The boats seem pretty similar, although there appears to be more staff/passenger for Celebrity suggesting better level of service. Will have to decide by December, when deposits become nonrefundible.

I think I answered this on another board.

I loved Serenade and would cruise with her again in a heartbeat! But I will say the food in the dining rooms is better on X, buffets go to RCI for variety and quality. I adore the Aqua Spa cuisine on M class ships; it's perfect for my tastes.

The perks for C&A are WAAAYYY better than for Captain's Club and this would sway me. The Concierge, Maritza, on Serenade is wonderful as is the concierge lounge. And I receive many more perks that I care about on RCI than I did on X as Elite. The ONLY thing I used was 10 free internet minutes. Nothing else was complimentary.

The Serenade (Radiance class) and X M class ships are built on the same hull. The Radiance class are as beautiful as the M class. The level of service in places such as the buffet is probably better on X since a waiter will take your plate and find a table for you; none of that on RCCL. There will be more activities and entertainment on RCCL (think Quest !) The Radiance class has the dramatic 11 deck high atriums and the gyroscope balanced pool tables.

We are on the Connie's 9 niter from Bayonne to San Juan (our first M ship) and have been on the Radiance and Serenade. We have been on the smaller X ships.

To sum up they are both drop-dead beautiful ships. If you want a livelier cruise go RCCL. If you want a quieter trip with better food go X.

David

I'll be on the Constellation sailing you are speaking of. We have a FANTASTIC cruise critic group together right now. I sailed the exact same week last year and there were few if any Spring Breakers.

I'll be sailing on the Serenade in 3 weeks. I can probably give you a better opinion after that.

However, I have sailed X and RCI and love both, but prefer X. The service is definitely far better...same with the food in teh dining room.

I have sailed Infinity, sister ship of Constellation, and Brilliance, sister ship of Serenade. We found the food and service better on X, but think the beauty, decor and layout of the Radiance class ships beats Celebrity's M-class ships by a mile (same hull be darned). I disagree that there will be more kids on Connie than on Serenade. I definitely think the reverse is true. However, the above poster is correct that Cirque du Soleil is returning to the Constellation with an actual mini-show, so your son wouldn't miss out on that.

If I had to book three cabins, I would choose Serenade and use the extra funds for soda cards, shore excursions and other activities.

[quote=olliekl]I have sailed Infinity, sister ship of Constellation, and Brilliance, sister ship of Serenade. We found the food and service better on X, but think the beauty, decor and layout of the Radiance class ships beats Celebrity's M-class ships by a mile (same hull be darned). ]

Thanks for the info on this. That was my impression, that the Radiance class was the best looking at sea. Will be able to compare on our 11/10 sailing.

I just Returned from a Constellation cruise. It is a great ship. Very sophisticated but if I were taking young people along I would choose Rccl! I think your children would enjoy that way more than the subdued elegance of the constellation. I would save that for a vacation without the kids.

Cirque is returning to the Constellation ??

I thought it was cancelled ?

Please give details, do we still need a mask to get in, do they have the white ball ?

Need to know -- stopped looking for a mask and was not packing white apparel -- need to repack ?

We prefer Celebrity over RCCL. We are also older, so the late night activities aren't as important to us as they would be someone in his/her 20's.

I also believe the food on Celebrity is better than RCCL, especially the food in the spa area. The decor on the Constellation is a bit subdued compared to the decor on RCCL.

I think if I were young, I would book RCCL over Celebrity. The perks for Crown & Anchor diamond members are far better than what one gets on Celebrity.

Celebrity is also more formal than RCCL. I am sure whichever ship you choose you will have a wonderful cruise.

Katie

We prefer Celebrity over RCCL. We are also older, so the late night activities aren't as important to us as they would be someone in his/her 20's.

I also believe the food on Celebrity is better than RCCL, especially the food in the spa area. The decor on the Constellation is a bit subdued compared to the decor on RCCL.

I think if I were young, I would book RCCL over Celebrity. The perks for Crown & Anchor diamond members are far better than what one gets on Celebrity.

Celebrity is also more formal than RCCL. I am sure whichever ship you choose you will have a wonderful cruise.

Katie

Just a note that I am 49 and enjoy the evening entertainment on RCI far more than on X. Also, I think Serenade is a warmer ship in terms of staff and decor (than Infinity anyway) and I like the 2 specialty restaurants.

That being said, food and service on X is normally superior though on this last Mercury cruise it was not up to X's standards.

My Mercury cruise was as casual as anything I have been on, including Carnival. A big change from my last X sailing.

And I totally agree about the perks. Diamond vs Elite: no comparison at all!

Cirque is returning to the Constellation ??

I thought it was cancelled ?

Please give details, do we still need a mask to get in, do they have the white ball ?

Need to know -- stopped looking for a mask and was not packing white apparel -- need to repack ?

From what I've heard there will be an actual mini performance in the theatre.

Reggie:D

Archived