Ship To Be Pulled From Service?

cruzeluver

I have heard in passing that the Norwegian Majesty is going to be pulled from service. Has there been anything official about this from Norwegian? And if its true, will another ship take over its Caribbean itinerary from Charleston? I couldn't find anything at NCL's web site.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

The Majesty will be around for at least another year. But in the next few years the Majesty, Dream, Wind, and Crown will be transferred to NCL's parent firm, Star Cruises as payment for the transferred Norwegian Spirit. The Sea has already been transferred. Another one or two will be transferred in 2007 and 2008. NCL has three new ships on order, the Pride of Hawaii, and two unnamed ships from the Meyerwerft yard in Papenburg, Germany. The Pride of Hawaii is scheduled to be delivered next summer in 2006, the second ship in the spring of 2007 and the third ship in the fall of 2007.

However, all of NCL's new ships are of Panamax size, the size Bermuda is increasing its docks for in St. George and Hamiliton, while the former Naval Dockyard in Bermuda is being improved to dock two Super Mega sized ships larger than a Panamax sized ship. Therefore, any of the new NCL ships will be able to do Bermuda in the future.....Any.....

Where did you hear this?

As of two weeks ago, the Majesty was set to cruise to Bermuda in the summer season of 2006.

Read this news story from The Royal Gazette:

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050920/NEWS/109200134

Excerpt:

The Norwegian Crown, sailing from Philadelphia and NY will return to Bermuda on Tuesdays, as well as the Norwegian Majesty sailing from Boston, arriving in St. George's.

Perhaps plans have changed?

The Majesty is not included in NCL UK's brochure for 2006-2007 but you can go to the website and book sailings for the summer from Boston to Bermuda on the Majesty. :confused:

I think it would be a shame to get rid of the smaller ships, especially Crown, as they can go places the megaliners can only look at from afar. The smaller ships offer more personalised service and a more cozy feel too. By being smaller they serve a niche market and one day the big ship bubble will burst and the smaller ships will be more favoured.

I really hope NCL and the other lines with smaller ships keep them and look after them as their popularity will always be there with those who have tried and disliked the megaliners.

Big is not always best IMHO.

I think it would be a shame to get rid of the smaller ships, especially Crown, as they can go places the megaliners can only look at from afar. The smaller ships offer more personalised service and a more cozy feel too. By being smaller they serve a niche market and one day the big ship bubble will burst and the smaller ships will be more favoured.

I really hope NCL and the other lines with smaller ships keep them and look after them as their popularity will always be there with those who have tried and disliked the megaliners.

Big is not always best IMHO.

I agree, but NCL is getting rid of the smaller ships. They have to remain competitive. I guess we will have to sail the smaller Luxury Liners in the future;)

I wouldn't worry to much about Charleston. Another newer ship will probably take the Majesty's intineraries, just like Houston when the Sea left, the Dream came.

Peering into my crystal ball, this is all pure speculation but I could see this fleet if NCL keeps the same intineraries in 2009-10.....

One of the new builds 2007 plus the Dawn in New York

The Spirit in Boston-repositioning to Charleston

The Jewel in Miami-repositioning to the Mediterrean, plus Canada

The Star in New Orleans-repositioning to Alaska

The Sun in Houston-repositioning to the Baltic

One of the new builds 2007 in Los Angeles-repositioning to Alaska

Plus the Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, and Pride of Hawaii in Hawaii

If there is another new build in 2009, one would go to Houston allowing the Sun to do the intineraries of the Crown. I suspect the Crown will be the last ship transferred to Star Cruises too. A refurbished SS United States could also fill this role.

Then again, I could have this all wrong, without even getting one ship correctly in any port. But it does make sense to have the newest ships in the largest major cities, if only for competition reasons.....

I believe NCL considers the Star/Dawn ships equivalent to the Jewel and its three new sister ships.

My lineup would be,

1,2,3) POA, POAm, and POH in Hawaii all year.

4) Star in LA, repositioning to Seattle

5,6) Dawn and Spirit in NYC all year.

7) Jewel in Miami, repositioning to the Med. Sea

8) Jewel#3 in NO, repositioning to Seattle

9) Jewel#4 in Boston, repositioning to Charleston

10) Sun in Houston, repositioning to Vancouver.

11) Crown in NYC doing Bermuda runs, repositioning to So. America.

That's with NCL and NCL America with a 11 ship fleet.

A 12th ship would be needed to fullfill both the existing Baltic Sea cruises and Fanning Island cruises.

So, I believe NCL is still planning to order at least two more Panamax or smaller sized ships.

If NCL orders a smaller ship. you could probably assume it will replace the Crown. If NCL orders a larger than Panamax sized ship, you could probably assume it will replace the Dawn as the largest ship in NYC, freeing the Spirit or the Sun to be the Crown's eventual replacement. If NCL orders a second larger than Panamax sized ship, it will either replace the Star in LA or the Jewel in Miami, freeing whichever ship to replace the Sun in houston so it can fullfill the Baltic Sea and Fanning Island cruises.

Only time will tell what NCL plans next.

It is sad that all the mass produced lines seem to think bigger is better, but I also agree NCL has to keep up with the other lines. At least they aren't building ships that carry 4000 passengers. It would be nice if could build a newer ship but smaller, maybe the size of the Sea. A ship that size is large enough to offer a variety of dining experiences, a good choice of activities and yet small enough to gain back some of the itimacy many of us miss on the mega ships. The Jewel offered some of this, even though she is quite large, the dark wood brings back the cozy feeling from yesteryear and yet her bright colors are very electrifying. Maybe this is one thing we loved about her so much. NMNita

Actually, I was hoping that NCL would move a ship back to San Juan, and do two different back to backs, like they used to.

For me, the Southern Caribbean is the best itinerary. Lots of small islands, not too far apart, and interesting places.

Actually, I was hoping that NCL would move a ship back to San Juan, and do two different back to backs, like they used to.

For me, the Southern Caribbean is the best itinerary. Lots of small islands, not too far apart, and interesting places.

I agree about the So Caribbean but still want to know why there can't be some kind of an eastern/western combo. I am just tired of the gulf of Mexico itineraries on all lines. The islands are not as pretty as the eastern and southern, the shopping isn't good and the islands are not as interesting. Snorkeling is wonderful, but how many times can you go to Tabyana Beach and snorkel? NMnita

Archived