Aft Cabins on Constellation

wesp

What is your recommendation for best value for the aft cabins on Decks 7, 8, and 9 on Constellation? Trying to decide between Family, Concierge Class and regular verandahs.

Thanks.

Wesley

Galaxy April 2002
Norway August 2001
Independence April 1999
Delta Queen April 1996

Dave and I have had both the family and concierge aft cabins. Always have been on deck 9. Though we've seen other folks that have had those deck 9 cabins complain about noise from above, it never bothered us in the least. The balconies are huge, the view is spectacular, and very few folks venture that far aft so there's not people (especially kids) running around or making noise. We had no problem with vibrations, keeping in mind that we're on a moving ship.

We enjoyed the family size on a 14 day cruise but opted for the aft CC on our transatlantic this fall. Its just the two of us.

We have 2 future cruises booked with aft cabins. We're just sorry that so many people are finding out about them. You'll have no regrets with either type one. There are no 'regular' cabins off the aft.

Dave and Elaine

Transatlantic sailing on the Constellation
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;1;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img][img]http://www.zooish.com/_borders/drinkin_md_wht.gif[/img] [img]http://www.zooish.com/_borders/lickin_food_md_wht.gif[/img] Our Cruise Pictures [url="http://community.webshots.com/user/davissatx"]http://community.webshots.com/user/davissatx[/url]

One clarification:
We just booked cabins 7206 and 7208 on Constellation in December. They are "regular" verandahs per their category 1B. However, from what I have learned on this board and in my other thread about these rooms, they are far from "regular" since they have a huge balcony with lounge chairs, regular chairs, a small dining table and a side table. The balconies are 10x15 or so, give or take, so we're thrilled to be paying the same we would be paying for a room with a small verandah. Regular but not regular is a super value!

Having said that, we are hoping to get an FV if they open them up on our cruise for fmailies with less than 4 and might pay the difference if it happens.

Cheers,
Carol

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;12;11;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Constellation - Dec 11 2004 - Southern Caribbean

Summit - May 7 2004 - S. America Panama Canal

Here's my take on this. The aft cabins (not FV) are "regular" cabins. They are the same as all the other "Premium Oceanview" ones, it's just the balconies that are so great.

When we were on the Constellation last year, we had a small party with our next-door (cabin) neighbors. We handed our chairs around the balcony divider and had about 8 people sitting down (in 4 chaise lounges and 4 chairs) with still more room available.

Unless you have more than 2 people, the extra balcony and cabin space would be largely wasted in the FV. We never had a problem with the space in the aft 1x (and my wife never heard about the concept of packing light). Depending on when you go, all of the aft cabins will be CC (again, not the FVs). I base this on conversations with Customer Service and seeing that all M-Class ships offer CC cabins on decks 6,7,8 and 9 after May.

If you are going before then, you have to decide if nicer mattresses, pillows, flowers, better room service menu, etc are worth the difference. In looking at just a few cruises (and dates/itineraries will vary), it looks like you can expect to pay between $150 - $200 per person for CC. Oh, and CC gets priority boarding, that's worth something. But if nearly half of the cabins (CC and Suites) can board early, that may not be as nice as it has been.

My wife and I love the aft balconies for the size and the view. In fact, we tell our TA that we won't accept an upgrade to a sky suite from an aft cabin, even if it is at no extra cost. Now, give us the Royal and we'll have to think about that.

I agree with Elaine. I'm sorry that so many people have discovered them. And here I am telling you how wonderful they are. Well, I never claimed to be brilliant.

Bob

Hi Bob,
So now you've raised another interesting issue. Are you saying that by the time I cruise in December, my aft cabin, which I have booked as a 1B on Deck 7, is going to automatically be a CC cabin? I already have my price locked in so I'm not worried about any cost increases but I'm curious if I have stumbled upon some extra perks without realizing it. I would think my TA would know but he is not terribly familiar with Celebrity so I'm not surprised he does not.

Cheers,
Carol

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;12;11;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Constellation - Dec 11 2004 - Southern Caribbean

Summit - May 7 2004 - S. America Panama Canal

From what I understand the conversion to CC for the rest of the 1A cabins begins with the May 2005 cruises. I don't believe they will be CC in December. It's always possible that they will start to phase them in before this though.

We had a aft cabin on the RCCL mariner in Feb. While you are right the balcony is much larger, we noticed 2 things. 1. There was a dor and window, not a slider, and when the ship was moving there was a odor of?? fuel? not sure but definitely some kind of order. Is this tru of the aft's on Connie looking to book July 30-, 2005 for the Scandavia/Russia cruise and not sure what cabin to ask for, right now have a hold on 8161, but have a couple of days to make up my mind.

norm

Thanks for all of the advice! We had an aft cabin on Norway and loved the view of the wake. Can't wait for Celebrity to open the transatlantic bookings!!

Wesley

Galaxy April 2002
Norway August 2001
Independence April 1999
Delta Queen April 1996

I did leave off one TINY LITTLE thing. The changes I was talking about start with May [B]2005[/B]. Ma Bell is absolutely correct about possibly phasing in early. As I recall, CC was to be introduced on the Constellation in LATE 2003, but it was in place in July of last year. So there is still a chance they'll move it up on a ship-by-ship basis. One can only hope. Sorry if I confused you.

I have been in aft cabins on Radiance, Grandeur, Splendour, Enchanment and Legend and all of those had only the sliding glass door, as well as the Constellation. We never had noise, soot or odor problems on any of those, except for Enchanment where we were one deck above the Colony club and could hear the late night music. It wasn't bad enough to disturb us, but we could hear it.

Norm, I'm not sure about your question. I am talking about the cabins all the way on the back of the ship. 8161 is near the back, but not all the way. It does have a little larger balcony due to the ship getting a lttle wider right there. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good choice. Now if you have 81[B]81[/B], I'd say GRAB it!

Wes, I am also waiting anxiously for the transatlantics to book the Millennium from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona May 1.

Bob

Hi guys!

I have a GREAT picture of the aft of the Summit! If anyone wants to see it let me know, I can't figure out how to get it here, but I can email it!!! It really shows every cabin across the entire back of the ship up close!!

All M class ships are the same, so it might help you see what you're really getting!!

Rosie
E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

Yes, they are! However, you always run the risk of loosing it to someone who really needs it! Some friends of ours on the Summit requested that HC room on Sky deck at the get go & 1 month before sailing, Celeb notified them they had been upgraded to a Sky Suite. Well......that's all fine & dandy, BUT, the sky suite even tho it had a butler, had a deck about 1/8 the size of the beautiful AFT cabin they gave up!!! The room was not any nicer at all & they had all the same ammenities except the butler!!! They were disappointed to say the least about the balcony! My advice--book what you intend to keep & by the rules, CAN keep! Just makes it easier!

JMHO

Rosie
E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

If you can't actually book an aft cabin then the key is to book the next best cabin and waitlist for for an aft or aft wheelchair-accessible. That's exactly what we did and ended up getting a beautiful aft-facing wheelchair accessible cabin. Good Luck!

Archived