Mini-suite vs. balcony on the Jewel - a comparison

Windsailer

After two recent cruises in a mid-ship balcony on the Jewel, we decided to try out a mini-suite. IMHO the mini-suite isn't worth the upcharge. Here are a few reasons.

1. The closet is in a really inconvenient spot. Next to the head of the bed -and about 1 foot away from the bed. It's very hard to open the doors and very, very hard to pick up shoes from the closet floor without hitting your head on the door hinges that stick out!

2. The sofa bed is rock hard and so wide you can't comfortably lean back.

3. The bathtub. The side is about 2 feet high making it difficult to climb in and out.

I'm going back to the balcony for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

Edited by Windsailer

After two recent cruises in a mid-ship balcony on the Jewel, we decided to try out a mini-suite. IMHO the mini-suite isn't worth the upcharge. Here are a few reasons.

1. The closet is in a really inconvenient spot. Next to the head of the bed -and about 1 foot away from the bed. It's very hard to open the doors and very, very hard to pick up shoes from the closet floor without hitting your head on the door hinges that stick out!

2. The sofa bed is rock hard and so wide you can't comfortably lean back.

3. The bathtub. The side is about 2 feet high making it difficult to climb in and out.

I'm going back to the balcony for my upcoming Alaska cruise.

Thanks for the info.....I was wondering if the mini-suite was really worth the extra $$$$ especially for a Panama Canal Cruise and the price difference between balcony and mini-suite. On top of that it seems the mini-suites have plenty of activity areas on Deck 12 that could potentially generate noise downward to Deck 11.

I have always booked the mini suite on older ships for one reason. That is because I understand that access to the balcony is difficult when the sofa bed is being used in the balcony rooms.

As our son travels with us and I love to sit on the balcony at night when he is asleep, this is an issue for us. Other than that I can't see why the extra would be worth it.

We are actually booked in a balcony on the Star next year, so we will see how much of a problem it actually is on that class.

We were in 11634 - very far aft under the La Cucina restaurant. It's carpeted up there and we heard no noise from above. I'd be very cautious where the mini-suite is located. Under the pool deck would not be fun.

I didn't find the mini-suite to be wider than our previous balcony cabins. So if the sofa bed is open I think I would be hard to get to the balcony. The cabin seemed to be about 4 or 5 feet longer, though.

I didn't find the mini-suite to be wider than our previous balcony cabins. So if the sofa bed is open I think I would be hard to get to the balcony. The cabin seemed to be about 4 or 5 feet longer, though.

It isn't the width of the room that's an issue. In the mini suites, the sofa is longer so you sleep along the length of it. Access to the balcony is no problem (I know from experience).

In the balcony rooms, the sofa bed is pulled out into the room, which is what blocks the balcony.

It isn't the width of the room that's an issue. In the mini suites, the sofa is longer so you sleep along the length of it. Access to the balcony is no problem (I know from experience).

In the balcony rooms, the sofa bed is pulled out into the room, which is what blocks the balcony.

Hmmm..in our cabin the sofa bed pulled out into the room. We didn't pull it out all the way - just enough to get an extra duvet. It seems like it would pretty much block access to the balcony. You might have maybe a foot to get by?

Edited by Windsailer

If you only have 2 people in the room, I agree that it isn't worth it. With 3 people in the room I do prefer the mini suites. The bed IS rock hard (I have slept on one), but the balcony access with the bed out is much easier, and there is a privacy curtain between the couch and bed areas. That plus the small amount of extra space makes it worth it to me when an extra person is in the mix. And now that I have a toddler I also appreciate the bathtub, but before him I didn't care about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the input.

We had an aft mini suite on the Jewel to Alaska. It was wonderful. Our son, his wife and 22 month old son had an inside cabin and used our balcony as did our adult daughter and a cousin. Plenty of room.

This time on the Jewel Panama Canal cruise I booked a regular balcony and was really wondering if I would regret this decision. It is smaller with less storage.

I think we will be okay. This time it is just the two of us. DH is having some problems with his hips and knees and would prefer not having to step into a bath tub. I am bringing some hang-up organizers to use with magnets for the daily schedules.

We both found the bathtub very awkward to get in and out. Lots of storage in the cabin (we didn't use all the drawers) but hated the location of the closet. We're back to balconies on the balcony (Jewel - Alaska) and the Epic (large balcony - the med).

We were in 11566 last March with 2 kids. There was NO room anywhere with that sofa pulled out. It was so cramped. Walking sideways and as the norm except in the hallway where the bathroom was. Our laundry ended up in an pile by the head of the bed by my husband because we couldn't get the suitcases out until the sofa bed was turned back into a sofa, which we had to request the day before disembarkation so we could pack. And we spent a LOT of time in the room BC the kids needed naps. Never got any information about laundry or the laundry special and our cabin attendant was hard to find and ignored notes

Minor in comparison to the cruise, (which was awesome) but I took a vow:

Never again with 4 in 1 very small space if we have to be in that space a lot. It's why I've booked the 2 br suite for this year.