partial cancellation

pehlibaar

So we've booked 2 connecting rooms and have my mom coming with us. If for some reason, she has to cancel at the last minute, what is the procedure? Can we just show up without her and let them know when we arrive? Is there a fee, even though we wouldn't make any room changes(we have an excursion booked, but I understand that I can modify that 3 days prior to embarkation).

This is a big IF, but I just want to make sure I have all the info just in case. Thanks!

So we've booked 2 connecting rooms and have my mom coming with us. If for some reason, she has to cancel at the last minute, what is the procedure? Can we just show up without her and let them know when we arrive? Is there a fee, even though we wouldn't make any room changes(we have an excursion booked, but I understand that I can modify that 3 days prior to embarkation).

This is a big IF, but I just want to make sure I have all the info just in case. Thanks!

Is your mom in a room by herself? How far out from the cruise are you? There are different levels of penalties for cancelling.

A no-show forfeits the cruise fare, but port fees would be reimbursed.

I'd suggest doing the online check in. You don't lose anything doing that.

If you cancel in the final week, she will lose her entire cruise fare except MAYBE the port charges. Some lines are good about refunding port charges in this instance, others take the approach that they said 100% loss.

Let them know as soon as you know, but she doesn't lose any more by being a "no show" than by giving them a few days notice.

Is she the only person on the reservation? It matters, because if she is not, there may be some other options available.

If you cancel in the final week' date=' she will lose her entire cruise fare except MAYBE the port charges. Some lines are good about refunding port charges in this instance, others take the approach that they said 100% loss.

Let them know as soon as you know, but she doesn't lose any more by being a "no show" than by giving them a few days notice.

Is she the only person on the reservation? It matters, because if she is not, there may be some other options available.[/quote']

It's one reservation for all of us, it shows as two only because we have 2 connecting rooms. We're not gonna worry about getting a refund on her fare if things fall through at the last minute, but they did tell me that government fees would most likely be refunded.

Thanks for your help!

It's one reservation for all of us, it shows as two only because we have 2 connecting rooms. We're not gonna worry about getting a refund on her fare if things fall through at the last minute, but they did tell me that government fees would most likely be refunded.

Thanks for your help!

Actually, unless things have changed, each room has it's own reservation number.

And I will assume no trip insurance?

Do not no-show. That will just potentially delay departure if they are still waiting for people. If you cancel even 5 days in advance that may free up a cabin for waitlist or upgrade (assuming she is sailing alone in hers)

Thanks for your help!

I don't believe that this is possible. In the past, each cabin had its own reservation number.

OK, so you have two linked reservations....that's cool. But if the person remaining in the cabin wishes, you can do a name change for the person who needs to cancel. This is at no charge up to 31 days before cruising. From 0-30 days, there is a small charge. It used to be $50, not sure if it might have increased. Bottom line, if there is someone else you want to go instead of the person who needs to cancel AND there is another person in the cabin, you could do a name change rather than a cancelation.

You CANNOT do a name change at the terminal. This MUST be arranged in advance.

And they are not going to hold the ship for a no show that they haven't heard from!

Edited by moki'smommy

I don't believe that this is possible. In the past' date=' each cabin had its own reservation number.

OK, so you have two linked reservations....that's cool. But if the person remaining in the cabin wishes, you can do a name change for the person who needs to cancel. This is at no charge up to 31 days before cruising. From 0-30 days, there is a small charge. It used to be $50, not sure if it might have increased. Bottom line, if there is someone else you want to go instead of the person who needs to cancel AND there is another person in the cabin, you could do a name change rather than a cancelation.

You CANNOT do a name change at the terminal. This MUST be arranged in advance.

And they are not going to hold the ship for a no show that they haven't heard from![/quote']

That's good to know, thanks! 99.9% mom is going to come, but I just wanted to get all the info just in case. We'd def. know at least a week or two in advance so I'd planned to call them if that happened. That's awesome about the name change though, did not know about that!

Did you happen to buy the Disney insurance? The Disney insurance is unique in that it allows you to cancel for ANY reason. If your reason for cancelling is a "non covered" reason, such as changed your mind, instead of a full refund you get 75 percent of the cruise fare back as a credit for a future cruise. We had to do this one time. Your required to cancel before the cruise date. You then submit a claim to insurance and let it get denied. Once it is denied Disney steps in with the credit.

Obviously not ideal in that its only 75 percent and its not a true refund, but a much better option than getting nothing out of it.

Did you happen to buy the Disney insurance? The Disney insurance is unique in that it allows you to cancel for ANY reason. If your reason for cancelling is a "non covered" reason, such as changed your mind, instead of a full refund you get 75 percent of the cruise fare back as a credit for a future cruise. We had to do this one time. Your required to cancel before the cruise date. You then submit a claim to insurance and let it get denied. Once it is denied Disney steps in with the credit.

Obviously not ideal in that its only 75 percent and its not a true refund, but a much better option than getting nothing out of it.

There are a few more restrictions than those listed above. It can only be used by the person canceling (mom can't "give" the credit to an adult child), and it must be used in a specified time frame--I think it is 2 years. Still, that's a whole lot better than nothing!

No, unfortunately hubby booked it through Costco and didn't get insurance

Then hopefully MIL can cruise. If not, hope you can substitute someone else in her place. It would be a shame to lose all that money if you have a friend or relative who could enjoy the cruise.

If you DO have a person in mind, you might suggest that they locate their necessary documents in advance.

Then hopefully MIL can cruise. If not' date=' hope you can substitute someone else in her place. It would be a shame to lose all that money if you have a friend or relative who could enjoy the cruise.

If you DO have a person in mind, you might suggest that they locate their necessary documents in advance.[/quote']

We've asked my brother, but as a CPA and us going in April, his schedule is pretty iffy. Can you add someone to your reservation? Just wondering, if mom comes and he was free as well. Just a thought

Can you add someone to your reservation? Just wondering, if mom comes and he was free as well. Just a thought

It depends. You can add someone to your reservation if there is room in the cabin, at the muster station, and (if a child) in the kid age group. However, you'll pay the third person adult rate for the new person...and then if you cancel mom, you'll lose that rate. It is cheaper than losing a second person fare but not nearly as economical as just doing a name change if mom needed to cancel.

We've asked my brother, but as a CPA and us going in April, his schedule is pretty iffy. Can you add someone to your reservation? Just wondering, if mom comes and he was free as well. Just a thought

Just adding an additional person at a later date can be problematic.

If you want to add more people to your reservation, DCL asks 3 questions:

1) Is there space in the room for more people? (can't put 4 people in a 3 person room).

2) Is there space in the lifeboat assigned to that room? (It's possible for the lifeboat to be full, even if there is an extra bed in the room)

3) Is there space in the appropriate kid's club? (if applicable).

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, then you can't add a person to the reservation (for that room). It may be possible to move to another room where the answer would be "yes", however.

I will also point out that the added person will pay the prevailing rate for their reservation, not what the cost was when the original reservation was made.

Just adding an additional person at a later date can be problematic.

If you want to add more people to your reservation, DCL asks 3 questions:

1) Is there space in the room for more people? (can't put 4 people in a 3 person room).

2) Is there space in the lifeboat assigned to that room? (It's possible for the lifeboat to be full, even if there is an extra bed in the room)

3) Is there space in the appropriate kid's club? (if applicable).

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, then you can't add a person to the reservation (for that room). It may be possible to move to another room where the answer would be "yes", however.

I will also point out that the added person will pay the prevailing rate for their reservation, not what the cost was when the original reservation was made.

Thanks! There's definitely room, can't answer for the lifeboat, and #3 isn't applicable. Good to know just in case!