What to do in Victoria...

It's on Haultain, off Cook St between Bay St and Hillside ave. Easiest to access heading north on Cook - take a right on Haultain, drive another maybe 100m (past a few houses) and it's on the right in a small building next to Askim's Beer & Wine (U-brew). Might have to go there soon ;)

If you are looking for some good fish 'n chips , I would recommend Willows Galley in Oak Bay on Estevan Ave. Grab some take out and enjoy them at lovely Willows Beach -- a short 10 minute stroll down the street from the Galley. Only Downside: Oak Bay is a 10-15 minutes drive from downtown Victoria.

Edited by leecutcher

(NCL arrives late in the day on Sat when most places are closing)...

I think you'll find many stores stay open late for cruise ship passengers. It will be nice and light until quite late in the evening - May is absolutely beautiful in Victoria. I miss it. :)

If you are looking for some good fish 'n chips , I would recommend Willows Galley in Oak Bay on Estevan Ave. Grab some take out and enjoy them at lovely Willows Beach -- a short 10 minute stroll down the street from the Galley. Only Downside: Oak Bay is a 10-15 minutes drive from downtown Victoria.

While I agree about Willows Beach - I'd avoid F&C at Willows Galley at all costs. They used to be average to good, but the owners changed a few years ago and quality and consistency has suffered. It has been 18 months since the last time I was there - so perhaps I'll give it one final chance at some point...

Good ice cream, though!

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful information about Victora! Thank you!

At the end of May, we'll be staying two nights pre-cruise before taking the ferry to Seattle.....would you recommend the Grand Pacific or The Empress??

Wonderful information about Victora! Thank you!

At the end of May, we'll be staying two nights pre-cruise before taking the ferry to Seattle.....would you recommend the Grand Pacific or The Empress??

I've stayed at the grand and it was nice, always wanted to stay at the Empress for the sake of history although I believe the rooms are fairly small. Both hotels are under renovation right now so take that into consideration. There is a hotel called the Oswego that's a couple blocks away from the Grand, not quite on Belleville. They have suites and it's quite modern in case you don't mind a little extra walking and might be a bit cheaper, although maybe not.

I've stayed at the grand and it was nice, always wanted to stay at the Empress for the sake of history although I believe the rooms are fairly small. Both hotels are under renovation right now so take that into consideration. There is a hotel called the Oswego that's a couple blocks away from the Grand, not quite on Belleville. They have suites and it's quite modern in case you don't mind a little extra walking and might be a bit cheaper, although maybe not.

Thanks for the information on the Oswego. I think we would rather be closer to the ferry terminal, but I'll check it out!

From what I can tell, the hotel renovations should be almost complete by the end of May.....not a worry for us anyway :-)

I stayed at The Empress 20 years ago or so, and it was lovely.....But that was a long time ago! Anyone have any recent info about The Empress??

Thanks for the information on the Oswego. I think we would rather be closer to the ferry terminal, but I'll check it out!

I've not actually stayed at any hotels in Victoria (the check-in process would take longer than just driving home!) - but FYI, the Oswego looks to be closer to the Seattle Clipper than the Empress.

Having said that - all three places mentioned are all *very* close to the terminal (a 5-10 min walk).

I stayed at The Empress 20 years ago or so, and it was lovely.....But that was a long time ago! Anyone have any recent info about The Empress??

If you stayed at the Empress 20 years ago nothing has changed, as a previous poster said its under renovation just now. I would personally stay at the Grand Pacific, we live in Victoria (Brentwood Bay, very close to Butcharts) and stay at the GP for a night every December. It's very nice, you won't go wrong. It too is under renovation but only part of it. Phone the hotel and ask. If you look on google maps there's several hotels along that stretch. The Laurel Point is also good, just down the street a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you stayed at the Empress 20 years ago nothing has changed, as a previous poster said its under renovation just now. I would personally stay at the Grand Pacific, we live in Victoria (Brentwood Bay, very close to Butcharts) and stay at the GP for a night every December. It's very nice, you won't go wrong. It too is under renovation but only part of it. Phone the hotel and ask. If you look on google maps there's several hotels along that stretch. The Laurel Point is also good, just down the street a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for the info! I'll check out The Laurel Point too :-)