Brewery and Distillery

Weetzie

We've only been to GC once before and that was on our first cruise, so I was hesitant to venture far from the tender station. This time I have a better idea of what to expect and so am more willing to go off on our own. I have a couple of questions broadly about the distillery and the brewery.

1) Is it possible to do both in one trip to GC?

2) If not which would you choose?

3) Are the beers from the brewery available around the tender port?

4) Are the spirits from the distillery available around the tender port?

5) Are there any private excursion companies that do both?

6) How hard is it to get a cab from the distillery (I know the buses don't run around the distillery)?

7) How reliable are the buses from the brewery?

Any and all information is helpful :)

Hi Weetzie,

I can answer some, but not all of your questions.

1) Yes, I'm sure it must be. Both are small operations and the tour is only likely to be an hour or so for each.

2) We did the distillery and it was amazing - great fun and relaxed. Lots of samples. Can't comment on the brewery.

3) Don't know

4) Yes.

5) Don't know. Try "Discount Excursions Grand Cayman" who do a package of transport and entry to the distillery, they may do the brewery as well. We booked online direct with the distillery (from the UK) for the tour and just picked up a taxi at the port ($8 pp). If there are a lot of ships in port on your day most of the cab drivers will want to load up with people going to the beaches. Find the dispatcher at the North Terminal (2 mins walk if you dock at South Terminal) and he/she will sort you out a cab.

6) The distillery will happily call you a cab when you want to return to the port or go on somewhere else. It took about 10 mins from the call to the cab arriving, we shared with an American couple who were going scuba diving, the cab dropped us back at the shops and carried on with them.

7) Don't know - Drew Sailbum on this board can probably help. :)

Hope this helps.

7. The Cayman Islands brewery is located on Shamrock Road - the main east-west road that the buses travel to serve the eastern districts of the island. Buses should be quite frequent - certainly no more than a 10 minute wait.

To return to the port area from the brewery you should wait on the same side of the road as the brewery. Any public bus on your side of the road is going to the bus depot near the port. They all travel basically the same route so no one is faster than another.

7. The Cayman Islands brewery is located on Shamrock Road - the main east-west road that the buses travel to serve the eastern districts of the island. Buses should be quite frequent - certainly no more than a 10 minute wait.

To return to the port area from the brewery you should wait on the same side of the road as the brewery. Any public bus on your side of the road is going to the bus depot near the port. They all travel basically the same route so no one is faster than another.

So, my question...is it feasible to take a cab to the distillary, then catch a cab to the brewery, then take the bus back to the cruise port? If this is a possibility, what would the approximate transportation cost be?

Sure, it's possible. I'm sure the folks at the distillery would call a taxi for you at the end of a tour.

Not sure what the taxi fare would be overall. Taxi fares are regulated but the only times I take them are to/from the airport and those fares are inflated in the fare tables.

An estimate... Cab from port to distillery US$12 for up to three people. From distillery to brewery US$30 for up to three people.

Return fare by bus US$2.50 per person. That one I don;t have to estimate.

Sure, it's possible. I'm sure the folks at the distillery would call a taxi for you at the end of a tour.

Not sure what the taxi fare would be overall. Taxi fares are regulated but the only times I take them are to/from the airport and those fares are inflated in the fare tables.

An estimate... Cab from port to distillery US$12 for up to three people. From distillery to brewery US$30 for up to three people.

Return fare by bus US$2.50 per person. That one I don;t have to estimate.

Your "estimate" is spot on for port to distillery - we paid $4 pp one way. The "tour guide" at the distillery was more than happy to call a taxi for us back to port, so there shouldn't be a problem with calling one to the brewery.