Taxi to Stockholm & Gdansk

tclowe

Going on the Star Princess next summer. We are 2 adults and 2 children. Would any previous Star passengers know if taxis are readily available at the docks of Nynshamn (going to Stockholm) and Gdynia (going to Gdansk). If we could take a taxi for the four of us, it would save time and some money at both ports.

I was looking at the ship shore excursion list and their prices. Seems a little steep for an one hour bus ride to pay a total of $225 for the four of us from Nynshamn to Stockholm. I know we can also take the train independently. But with two small children (age 2 and 7), I am sort of reluctant to have them rushing to make some train schedule and/or get lost in the shuffle of a big train station.

My kids are thrilled to be visiting the rock church, the old viking ships, and a side trip to Legoland won't hurt! Thanks for all your help.

Cynthia

There are many taxis at both docks. At Gdynia, we interviewed several drivers and selected one who spoke good English and gave is a reasonable price to tour Gdansk. He was terrific, and he included a visit to the Oliva Cathedral (on the way to Gdansk), where they have a daily organ concert on their magnificent pipe organ. No problem in Stockholm either.

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Glad to know that taxis are available at the docks and some drivers speak English. Would you happen to remember about how much the driver in Gdynia charged for the ride to Gdansk? Oh, and did you have problems getting the taxi back to the ship? Did you pay with US dollars or local currency?

Appreciate your help. Figured I need to ask as many questions as possible about the baltic cruise now before all the previous passengers move on to their next cruise and different port of call boards.

Cynthia

The taxi driver acted as our guide and stayed with us the whole day. If I recall, his charge was $50, U.S. - paid in cash. He was very informative - even took us by his home in Gdansk where he grew up.

Mike

Wow, Mike. Sounds like you got a great deal and a good guide for your day at Gdansk. I think we will follow in your footsteps and hopefully snag a good driver like yours. Did he show you a couple of places in Gdansk, left you guys to explore on your own for a while (to shop and walk around), and then pick you up at a predetermined time and place?

Cynthia

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar experience in Gdansk. We were on the Constellation 7/04 and paid $80 for four of us for the ride into Gdansk with stops in Sopot and Oliwa Cathedral along the way. We walked along all the taxis and one driver struck up a conversation with us. His English was superb. John walked with us for a short way in Gdansk and waited for us while we visited shops on our own and had a little Polish beer. He was absolutely delightful-he loved Americans. He was also full of history as he was a steel worker on the docks during Solidarity. I'd say this day was one of the highlights of our trip. The price was great but the experience was so much better than a bus trip into town.

• 3 weeks later...

The road 71 from Nynäshamn to Stockholm has a very bad reputation (it´s going to be rebuilt soon), so I would recommend taxi with all onboard

wear a seatbelt. Traffic can be very busy when many people go to the Nynäshamn to go with the ferry to either, Riga (Latvia), Gdansk (Poland) or domestically to island of Gotland, timetable at http://www.destinationgotland.se Train is an option but do remember that usually only the 4 first wagons go all they way from Stockholm (you can

buy ticket onboard the train) to Nynäshamn and some trains stop halfways in Västerhanninge.

• 1 month later...

I don't recall any taxi's in Nyanshamn, we were in a hurry to get to the train. We had no problem with the train system, pre-purchased our train tickets with the Stockholm card which also gave us entrance to museums and use of bus service while in Stockholm.

Gdansk was a very pleasant surprise, I would love to go back. We had a private tour company meet us there and spent the day touring Stuthoff Concentration Camp, downtown Gdansk, the solidaity monument and Sopot.

Archived